In the beginning-Reno1964

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the beginning-Reno1964

Are there others who experienced the first Reno air races in 1964? As a highschooler in September, I used my a good portion of my savings to ride the Greyhound bus on Friday night from San Francisco to Reno, get to Sky Ranch and watch the transcontinental racers arrive on Saturday morning. The rest of the day included a flying demonstration by Bob Hoover, Goodyear racers, sport biplanes and some crop duster Stearman's all trying to cope with the desert winds! I had to leave before any of the unlimited racers took to the air and have always wondered how they handled the makeshift race course and low pylons.

The attached photos provide some idea of the primitive conditions the racers had to endure.
    Attached Files

Re: In the beginning-Reno1964

Originally posted by Reno64
    Are there others who experienced the first Reno air races in 1964? As a highschooler in September, I used my a good portion of my savings to ride the Greyhound bus on Friday night from San Francisco to Reno, get to Sky Ranch and watch the transcontinental racers arrive on Saturday morning. The rest of the day included a flying demonstration by Bob Hoover, Goodyear racers, sport biplanes and some crop duster Stearman's all trying to cope with the desert winds! I had to leave before any of the unlimited racers took to the air and have always wondered how they handled the makeshift race course and low pylons.

The attached photos provide some idea of the primitive conditions the racers had to endure.
    Oh Man Reno Six Four... do you have more of this??!!!

Probably on the day you took this shot, I was somewhere a bit south of you pedaling my arse off with my three speed bike (it might have been an early 10sp) with my buddy trying to get out there. We'd figured (wrong) that it was just over the first hill outside of Sparks on the road to the lake...

No water and stupid young mind that didn't know what he was missing, we got within sight (LONG) on top of a hill and gave up on the project.

Looking back on it, really wouldn't have been that much farther, our thoughts that we'd have to make it back UP all those hills after a day of thirst were probably mis-founded.. Some race fan would have prolly given us a throw the bikes in the back of the pickup type ride..

Oh man... I'm so sorry I missed that first one (and the rest till my first in '79!)

I was SO close... I lived within less than 10 miles of that event and didn't go!

MORE MORE MORE PLEASE!!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wow! I would give my right (enter name of suitable body part here) to have the honor of being there for the first reno airrace.

Unfortunately I was only 4 yrs old at the time, and the only aircraft I got to see were the G.A. aircraft flying in & out of Reed/Hillview airport a few blocks up the street and whatever was flying around Moffett near my grandparents' house. How I envy you!

Comment

Those are some great pictures, thanks for posting them.
        It was a long long time before I was born.

Jarrod

Comment

The Tanks on the #8 Mustang does anyone know what type they are ?

They look fairly large like they might be Skyraider tanks ......

Robert
          " Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

I think the drop tanks on Chuck Lyford's #8 were off a Skyraider......RG
            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

God.... knowing what we know today, isn't it something seeing those birds sitting on the dirt!

When I was 13, (in 64) that area was SO fargin OUT THERE in the stix. Now, it's all homes all around there..

We used to go out that way, mind you, not nearly that far, and shoot up the desert with our .22's.

Actually, all around Reno/Sparks, you could literally walk out to places where it was legal to shoot, it was sparsely populated. Back then, I think there was only something less than 100,000 in the entire state! (actually, closer to50,000 if I remember correctly)

Times sure change and so does air racin'!
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Randy ... thanks much .... I thought thats what they looked like ...

WHat is the name on that Mustang ?

Thanks

RJ

" Aloha Raptor "

Thanks V.A.

Comment

Bardal Miss it was flown By Bob Love Shawn

Comment

#8 N2869D was named "Bardahl Special" and "Challenger" at various times.

It was flown in the first Reno pylon race by Bob Love-
                    and later raced by Chuck Lyford.

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership
                    Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                    RIP 03/17/10

Comment

The light blue-green Mustang was N35N, "Mr. Choppers", race #3, owned then by C.E. Crosby, Jr. of Bellingham, WA. It was 44-74602. We know it today as Jack Hovey's desert camo HM P N3580 sometimes raced as #2. Before Crosby had it she was N6318T, and RCAF # 9255.

It is a close cousin (20 serial numbers from 44-74582) of Joseph Thibodeau's race #21 Crusader, N51JT.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

Times sure change and so does air racin'!

For SURE! Hey, does anyone know what a P-51 was selling for back in '64?

Comment

Wow! those are awesome! I live in that valley now and have always wondered where the "runway" actually sat. From those pictures you really get a sense for where exactly it all happened. I see those same hills everyday. More, more, more.
                          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Lowell
                            The light blue-green Mustang was N35N, "Mr. Choppers", race #3, owned then by C.E. Crosby, Jr. of Bellingham, WA. It was 44-74602. We know it today as Jack Hovey's desert camo HM P N3580 sometimes raced as #2. Before Crosby had it she was N6318T, and RCAF # 9255.
                            The funny thing about this plane was that Crosby had 'intended' to get sponsorship from the merchants in Bellingham, Washington. In fact, on the fuselage, just behind the wing root, they painted "Sponsored by the City of Bellingham, Washington" But after a few weeks of trying to raise funding, Crosby came up with something like $15. So at the last minute, they rolled white paint over 'the City of Bellingham', and in big red letters wrote 'my wife' over the top of it.

I think there is a picture of this in Reed Kinnert's book.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon View Post
                              Originally posted by Lowell View Post

It is a close cousin (20 serial numbers from 44-74582) of Joseph Thibodeau's race #21 Crusader, N51JT.

The funny thing about this plane was that Crosby had 'intended' to get sponsorship from the merchants in Bellingham, Washington. In fact, on the fuselage, just behind the wing root, they painted "Sponsored by the City of Bellingham, Washington" But after a few weeks of trying to raise funding, Crosby came up with something like $15. So at the last minute, they rolled white paint over 'the City of Bellingham', and in big red letters wrote 'my wife' over the top of it.

I think there is a picture of this in Reed Kinnert's book.
                              While the sponsorship story is a classic told in several books about the first races, the actual reason for the white 'box' painted on the side was the location of the previous registration.
                              Here is a picture from Curtis' site (mustangsmustangs) showing the earlier registration/location.
                              And a lucky kid getting a "pony ride"

Click image for larger version

Name:	44-74602_04111_mg2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	227880
                              remember the Oogahonk!

old school enthusiast of Civiltary Warbirds and Air Racers

Comment

Working...
                              X