Worlds Best Pilot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worlds Best Pilot?

Most all of the pilots mentioned are great but I've never seen anyone who could hold a candle to Greenamyer in his prime (or probably now either). Try to picture him in the RB racing Skip in DR..maybe they could trade planes between heats..WOW!

Comment

All pilots listed so far are of exceptional caliber to be sure,
      but my vote has got to be for Jaqueline Cochran.
      John

Comment

Yeager, Howard Hughes wasn't half bad, Hanna Riech certainly had the right stuff despite some horrible politics, Rickenbacker, Von Richtofen, Doolittle, Lindberg, Hoover certainly.

I think you have to really say in what way are you measuring them. If it is all about one on one with guns I'd have to say people like Rickenbacker, Von Richtofen, Immelman and Rickenbacker all invented air combat in some of the most challenging aircraft ever. If you look at the second generation then you have to decide how to normalize the numbers. Some of the german pilots have huge numbers of kills relative to other nationalities because they flew the entire war. If you go by what other pilots said about them then Yeager, Hoover and Lindberg (who wasn't allowed to officially fight but did help develop some of the techniques used in the Pacific theater). Also the Russian women pilots are largely unknown but were supposed to be amazing combat pilots. Sadly I expect a lot of the real truth of the abilities of the pilots on the losing side have been lost forever.

If "the right stuff" is what you go by. Curtis, Lindberg, Hughes, Hanna Riech, Edna Gardner Whyte, Pancho Barnes, Yeager, Hoover, Crossfield, Brown, Cochran, Doolittle, Post, LeViere, Turner, Howard, anyone in the early space program. Frank Tallman, Paul Mantz......

As I'm making this list I realize it is impossible. There are just too many amazing pilots to even know where to begin. If we have to go by pilots that have probably touched us the most recently, I know my love of aviation was cemented the first time I saw Hoover fly. I expect for most of us he has been the one constant amazement every time we saw him. My life was changed forever when I saw him dazzle us at the Falcon Field air show when I was 12 years old.

So if I had to give a serious answer then Bob Hoover. The man had the touch..... you could see he really was one witht he plane when he flew.

If I had to pick the pilot I'd want flying my racer it would be Skip Holmes.

However some other folks deserver honorable mentions...

Waldo Pepper
        Axel Olson
        Ernst Kessler
        Biggles
        Pete Mitchell (Maverick) and Tom Kazanski (Iceman)
        Cliff Secord
        Pete Sandich
        Ted Baker
        Bruno Stachel
        Kara Thrace (Starbuc)
        Lt. TC McQueen
        Rocky the Flying Squirrel
        Race Bannon
        Roger Ramjet
        Sky King

You know what, anyone that pushed aviation even an inch further forward was at least for that moment "the best pilot ever".

Michele

Comment

Ernst Udet

Comment

I don't know about best, but Kent Pietsch should be on the list somewhere. The routine he does in that Cadet is spooky amazing. Hilarious too.

Comment

I also vote Steve Hinton.

Jarrod

Comment

I see a lot of good names. However, I do not see three of my favorites from WW II -- Guy Gibson, Leonard Cheshire, and Sir Harold "Mick" Martin who's tenure with 617 squadron was longer than Gibson's or Cheshire's.

Comment

I'm going to curb the whole "best" thing as it is impossible. My favorite to watch though, Hoover. How I miss him in the Shrike.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Reno since 1978

OK, how about Lefty Gardner and Lightning? Quite graceful. I even have a photo of Lightning rounding the back of the course with a fence post imbeded in the wing. Fancy flying for sure.

Comment

Capt Al Haynes,
                      Pilot of United flight 232, DC10, Siuox City, 1989
                      Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
                        Capt Al Haynes,
                        Tom
                        Absolutely!

Michele

Comment

Al Goss
                          Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Stringfellow Hawke
                            _________
                            -Matt
                            Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
                              Capt Al Haynes,
                              Tom
                              A few years ago I had the opportunity to sit in on a safety conference with the crew from Flight 232, AMAZING story and outstanding airmanship.

But to keep things on track.... my vote for Worlds Best Pilot (if I only had one) would go to Bob Hoover.
                              Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                              My Photos
                              My Ride

Comment

Worlds Best Pilot?

The one with the most landings, of course.

But my money and heart says Bob Hoover. A gentleman, a hearty handshake, and a smile for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X