Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waterbird quiz...

Originally posted by shadow
    I was at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola last Thanksgiving. No Sea Dart to be seen anywhere - that would have been a real treat. It could have been in one of the restoration hangers that were now off-limit. They used to run bus tours of the flightline where you might have been able to see it.
    Hmmm. Could be in restoration there. I wonder if it is the one in SD now? I'll do a little checking and get back to you on that. I'm sure they said it was going to Pensacola, but it WAS a long time ago
    I am also sure that the answer may be found on the wonderful world wide web
    Bill
    Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

I had all the Matt Mason toys! The space station, the crawler, the shuttle all th figures. Back then it was hotter than G.I. Joe.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
        Hmmm. Could be in restoration there. I wonder if it is the one in SD now? I'll do a little checking and get back to you on that. I'm sure they said it was going to Pensacola, but it WAS a long time ago
        I am also sure that the answer may be found on the wonderful world wide web
        Bill
        Not all of the aircraft are in the Museum 'proper'. Some are outside...and others still are in the storage hangar out on the flightline. When I was stationed there the D-558-1...a plane that I was fascinated with...was stashed in the hangar, and only came out for static display during the airshow. Sea Dart could be stored there.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          Not all of the aircraft are in the Museum 'proper'. Some are outside...and others still are in the storage hangar out on the flightline. When I was stationed there the D-558-1...a plane that I was fascinated with...was stashed in the hangar, and only came out for static display during the airshow. Sea Dart could be stored there.
          Could be. I did a search and found this @

Convair YF-7A/XF2Y-1 "Sea Dart"
          The four surviving SeaDarts are all preserved in museums. The XF2Y-1 prototype (BuNo 137634) was reportedly at one time with the Maryland Aviation Historical Society at Strawberry Point (I'm not sure where this is, even though I am from Maryland. It might be at the site of the old Glenn L. Martin plant near Baltimore). However, it is now in storage at the Paul Garber Restoration Facility of the Smithsonian Institution in Suitland, Maryland, waiting eventual restoration. It is in terrible shape, with lots of rust, a smashed canopy, and the wings having been cut off by a blowtorch. The 3 surviving YF2Y-1s are with the San Diego Aerospace Museum at Balboa Park (135763), the Wings of Freedom Air and Space Museum at NAS Willow Grove, Pennsylvania (135764) and the Sun n' Fun site at the Lakeland, Florida airport (135765) respectively.
          (as of Oct 02) It appears to be correct information today. NASM says they have one, just can't seem to pinpoint the location. Boy, it's a slow day at work.
          It appears that there may actually be one or two more examples out there, but WHERE is the $6 million question. Brad, do you know anyone in Pensacola that could find out if they have one stashed there?
          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
            Brad, do you know anyone in Pensacola that could find out if they have one stashed there?[/B]
            Not anymore. Sorry, Hoss....

Comment

Working...
            X