Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waterbird quiz...

Leo-

They tried a similar concept, I saw in a movie YEARS ago, (wish I could find it). They attached 'paddles', (with the wheels slightly protruding), to a Bellanca Cruismaster, the footage showed the airplane taxing down the beach, then turning 90 deg. toward the water, and skipping off to the sky. I imagine they created a few submarines, before that seemed like a bad idea...

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
      OK, Leo-
      HERE
      Now THAT'S a sea bird, (watch your taxi speed).

Nice Sea Dart photo!

So d'ya think there'd have been some... uh.... "unique" corrosion problems on those birds had they gone into service?

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
        Nice Sea Dart photo!

So d'ya think there'd have been some... uh.... "unique" corrosion problems on those birds had they gone into service?
        Many, many moons ago my father used to keep his Navion at the Renton airport outside of Seattle. The Sea Dart that is now part of the San Diego Air Museum used to sit off in the weeds over by where dad's airplane was parked. I can remember as a very young child playing on and around that thing and other than knowing it was called a Sea Dart (I thought it was an F-102 on skis), I really had no idea of the significance of what it was. Sad. :-(

Very cool airplane. Cool concept. Just not the best IDEA.

Comment

And how much seawater could an engine ingest and still put out power?
          Sitting in an Albatross once a long time ago I watched the props kicking it up and wondered what it did to those radials too.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
            Johnny Quest and Hadji are due to make the animated version of Brokeback Mountain...
            Now that's just wrong.... You can't leave out Bandit.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Woah Bill, whole different issue...
              Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts!

Sorry Wayne, know it's a family website

I had an entertaining "discussion" with someone years ago who was very adamant that the Sea Dart was a version of the F-102/F-106 built for the navy, based on manufacturer and similiarities in shape. Had lots of "inside knowledge" that could not be verified because it was "secret". Also was VERY sure the early B-17's were built with tail skids and knew a guy in Northern California with a hidden collection of Focke Wulfs so consider the source...
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                Now that's just wrong.... You can't leave out Bandit.
                LOL! There you go, getting all xeno on us! This is a family web site, eh?
                Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Back to a more family oriented discussion, there was a scene in "Sea Hunt", were they showed a jet "crashing" into the sea. (Mike Nelson to the rescue, of coarse). It was actually about a minute film of the Sea Dart, landing. It's the only moving footage I've seen of the airplane. Hope it survives, some where...

Paul

Comment

Somewhere, I believe in an old "Wings" there is a clip of it accelerating from a standing start, the spray blowing out behind it.
                    There was also a shot of the Martin Seamaster taking off in the same series.
                    I have a tape I used to keep next to the VCR just to quickly capture aircraft clips in TV shows. 4 hours of little snips from every series and commercial I could catch. Kinda fun to watch.
                    Mustangs on "Cannon", B-25,s on Wonder Woman, stuff like that.
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                      And how much seawater could an engine ingest and still put out power?
                      Sitting in an Albatross once a long time ago I watched the props kicking it up and wondered what it did to those radials too.
                      As far as putting out power, I don't think seawater has any different effect than regular water. If the fuel delivery is calibrated for it, water injection can HELP a turbojet up to a point... but I don't think unpredictable incidental water ingestion counts

I've wondered about corrosioni of radials also. Of course during WWII when the Navy was going through Wildcats, Hellcats, Corsairs, Dauntlesses, and Helldivers, I doubt that any of them lasted long enough for corrosion to be a big concern. But I have wondered how they dealt with it in the post-war years when Bearcats and Skyraiders and other radial-powered planes stayed in the inventory a long time. I haven't thought about it as much in terms of jets since they tend to include a lot of alloys, but the radials are made of common old aluminum, magnesium, and have iron and steel bits bolted on/in/around them. A perfect recipe for rapid corrosion in a salty environment.

Comment

waterbird?

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                          Many, many moons ago my father used to keep his Navion at the Renton airport outside of Seattle. The Sea Dart that is now part of the San Diego Air Museum used to sit off in the weeds over by where dad's airplane was parked. I can remember as a very young child playing on and around that thing and other than knowing it was called a Sea Dart (I thought it was an F-102 on skis), I really had no idea of the significance of what it was. Sad. :-(
                          Waaaaaaayyyyyyy back, when I was in the Canoe Club, (75-79),
                          I was stationed at Patuxent River NAS in MD. I was surprised to find one of the Sea Darts and a P-5M sitting behind a fence in derelict looking condition near the seaplane ramp by AIMD, not long after I arrived in 76. I DID know the significance of both, (rarity), and was relieved when the Navy loaded them both on a barge and shipped them to Pensacola to be restored and placed in the Naval Air Museum. I think they both ended up there. I am not sure, but I believe the only other surviving Sea Dart is at the Museum in San Diego, as Brad mentioned. I did get to see that one as well. So, I have bookended the Sea Dart and Mariner thing. I have seen another Mariner at Pima County Museum, one of a few survivors? Just some trivia
                          Bill
                          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by SCEPTER
                            I don't think he'll get away with that very many times.

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                              Waaaaaaayyyyyyy back, when I was in the Canoe Club, (75-79),
                              I was stationed at Patuxent River NAS in MD. I was surprised to find one of the Sea Darts and a P-5M sitting behind a fence in derelict looking condition near the seaplane ramp by AIMD, not long after I arrived in 76. I DID know the significance of both, (rarity), and was relieved when the Navy loaded them both on a barge and shipped them to Pensacola to be restored and placed in the Naval Air Museum. I think they both ended up there. I am not sure, but I believe the only other surviving Sea Dart is at the Museum in San Diego, as Brad mentioned. I did get to see that one as well. So, I have bookended the Sea Dart and Mariner thing. I have seen another Mariner at Pima County Museum, one of a few survivors? Just some trivia
                              Bill

I was at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola last Thanksgiving. No Sea Dart to be seen anywhere - that would have been a real treat. It could have been in one of the restoration hangers that were now off-limit. They used to run bus tours of the flightline where you might have been able to see it.

Comment

Hiyata??? That would be "Ultra-Man"

If you remember that- you must remember "Major Matt Mason" ????

Comment

Working...
                                X