Blue Skies - Jim Flanagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue Skies - Jim Flanagan

Ken Dwelle sent an email yesterday, our friend Jim Flanagan has passed.

Jim was a fine craftsman and a great man. He worked quietly and skilfully for many years on the Critical Mass team.

Jimmy had a handshake like a beartrap even into his 80's. He was one of the brave men who jumped into Normandy during D-Day.. living history he was.

I only had the pleasure to meet Jim once or twice a year for the few years I had the honor to know the man. I'm very lucky and thank my friends on the CM team for the pleasure.

Blue Skies Jim, you will be missed!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Blue Skies - Jim Flanagan

One of the nicest gentlemen you could ever want to meet.

When the Dwelle's first brought Critical Mass to Auburn, Jim was always in the hangar working on CM, when we would visit. And he was always more than happy to talk and show us around.

He will be missed.
    Steve
    Laughlin, Nevada

Comment

I first met Jim in 1961 at the Independence memorial airport. Indep.Mo.
      We spent many hours together. I learned a great deal from Jim a very bright man with a willingness to help a young A&P . When jim left 3IP
      in the eighties I took over his hanger and ran my business from there
      for over 20 years. A note of interest, Jim left to work on the Criticle mass or was it the Blind Mans bluff at the time ? 20 years later I left to work on another fury, Southern Cross.

Jim Flanagan a true hero and a good man. Gone West

Blaine

Comment

I had the pleasure of meeting Jim at the air show in Grass Valley. Extremely nice gentleman. I've always been told that my hand shakes are very tight and strong. Something I learned from my dad. He always said that a strong hand shake was an indication of a trusting and good man. That man had a handshake that almost put me on my knees. I enjoyed my time with him. thanks Jim, Blue skies forever, my friend.. Mike Gallagher
        MG

Comment

Reno 1999.

It was an honor to have known the man, at least a little bit.

Neal
          Attached Files

Comment

Quiz for Blaine,

Jim ran off to California with the daughter of the airport owner.
            What was her name?

TJ Dwelle

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
              Reno 1999.

It was an honor to have known the man, at least a little bit.

Neal
              Neal, it was indeed, he sure looked a lot younger than that whenever he shook your hand!

I'll never forget that about this man!

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Couple of shots of Jim
                Attached Files

Comment

Wayne- Thanks for posting this. Been a tough couple of days. Not like I didn't know it was coming but it still hurts. Jimmy and I spent a lot of time together, he's been my mentor since 1987. A tough old dude, and yes, he had the grip of steel. We spent years together working on Tinkertoy, C-Mass, and Kitchen Pass. I am so grateful for the lessons he taught me and still amazed at his creativity and fabrication skill. After 18 years and 5 airplanes, he signed off my A&P experience letter last year, he was no pushover. It was usually Jimmy's way or the highway. We took him to lunch at the Wings restauraunt here in Auburn about 3 weeks ago. He was not looking so well, and could hardly speak due to the effects of the ALS, but every time one of the young waitresses would walk by, he would get that gleam in his eye and a smile on his face. He was true to the end. He was a great American and a true patriot. I'm proud to have known him and grateful for all he taught me. Blue Skies Jim Flanagan, my hero and mentor.

Ken Dwelle

Comment

Ken her name was Faye, daughter of mrs. A the indep. mem. apt. owner.
                    She ran the airport for 60 years.

Comment

Ken, it's amazing how Jim touched people who knew him! I barely did and the pain of his passing is tough to deal with. As with you, we knew he could not last forever but men like Jim sit in your mind like a rock that can never go away. When they do, it is extremely hard to accept they are gone.

You were very close to Jim, always remember, he's going to be with you forever Ken! You'll hear him talking to you when you are working on an airplane, dealing with a gnarly problem.. on a quiet flight...

He's in a soft and comfortable place, young and vigorous again doing just what he wants, when he wants...

God Bless Jim Flanagan!
                      Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Jim will really be missed! Let's hope CM makes another attempt at the Unlimited winner's circle in the next year or two in big tribute to him! I'd kinda think he'd be up there helping her around the course to get it done.

In about 1972-73 Don Berliner wrote that Jim was working on an original design Unlimited homebuilt with a Ranger V-770 engine. Did it ever get past the drawing board? Ken, have you ever seen a sketch or ...?

Comment

I too visited the Dwelle hangar for years watching and learning from Jim. He actually would suffer fools for the sake of teaching or making a point.
                          I saw work on CM that has not yet been applied to the other Furies. The subtle and thoughtful changes that Tom, Ken and Jim made have yet to have their day at Reno.
                          How about it Tom or Ken, how about one more for the "Flanagan"? All of your money and effort was matched by his dedication time to making CM a winner. Win one for the Gipper, er, Mr Flanagan.
                          ron snow
                          very old ultralight driver and race fan

Comment

Simply put Jim Flanagan was a TRUE American Hero!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X