New military jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New military jets

My very first job was at an auto detail shop located right at the end of the runway here in Reno on Mill st. In fact it is still there. At the time the Nev. Nat. Gaurd was still flying F-4's. They would be so low on take off you could smell them. And the sound. Fagetaboutit. The only thing I have expierienced any louder (marginally) is Top Fuel drags. I would love to see a retro Blues in F-4's show. Also, is it too much to ask that all military performers be required to take at least 2 laps. One for warm up and one on the clock. I mean come on.

Nick
    You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by Fence Sence
      I would love to see a retro Blues in F-4's show.

Nick

Well, it would be great in terms of sound, smoke, fury, and nostalgia! But based on old airshow footage I've seen, the aerobatics would look pretty mundane compared to what we've gotten used to during the years of the F-16s, A-4s, and F/A-18s.

For the jet pilots out there- I know the F-4 has a respectable roll rate and can carry a huge payload, but can it do anything else comparably to the F-16 and F/A-18? (except bleed energy at ungodly rates in high-G turns) ;-)

Comment

Does anybody from up in the Northwest remember when the CAF (Canadian Armed Forces) used to bring the CF-101 Voodoo's down from 409 Squadron at Comox, BC? THAT was the ultimate show opener!

Anyone remember the year the one blew up midair on the afterburner climb at Abbottsford?

Announcer: "If you'll please look to your left".....(as the four plane formation came in from the right....)

Comment

Well, it would be great in terms of sound, smoke, fury, and nostalgia!
          That is exactly what I would like to see. The aerobatics we see today are just what you said, what we've gotten used to. It's been the same basic show for years. Don't get me wrong, I watch every second of every show every day I'm there and I'm always impressed. However (that word is pure evil, I know), it would make the hair on the back of my neck stand up to see a bunch of F-4's tearing up the skies after years and years of watching technical perfection.
          You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

The oldest planes I know I have seen the Blues perform in were the Grumman F11F Tigers, although at the time I was barely out of training underpants at the time, so the only memorys I have are fuzzy ones of pretty blue and very loud jets doing wonderful things. (golly-gee!). My grandmother's house is right next to Moffett, so I was fortunate to see several Moffett-based airshows back in those days when we were visiting her.

I possibly have seen them fly in the Phantoms in the late 60's or early 70's too, but I am not sure, as I only recognized the identity of a handful of jets back then (mainly the ones I had built plastic models of, like the F-104 and the F-5). That was a long time ago as far as brain cells go, so I'm not sure if I went to any shows between '68 and '72 or not....

-

My oldest memory of them is actually my mother's. It consists of my mom and brothers heading up highway 101 to my grandmother's house near Moffett Naval Air Station one weekend when I was 3 or 4 yrs old. She was driving the old Rambler station wagon on this trip, as my dad was out at sea somewhere (He was in the Navy at this time).

Now, 101 passes right next to Moffett and directly under the landing flightpath of the twin runways, maybe 300-400 feet from the ends of the pavement. I have fond memories of P-3s passing over our car with their landing gear only 100-150 feet or so above us.

Well, on this particular trip there unknowingly was an air show going on at Moffett that weekend, and the Blues were attending. Just by (bad?) timing we were passing the ends of the runway JUST AS the Angels were passing low and overhead from the 8 o'clock position (on the left and somewhat behind us) to the right towards the airbase. We never saw them coming.

She says they were landing in their diamond formation, and the sudden and unexpected ROAR of the 4 jet engines so close overhead startled her immensely, and the car actually jumped over one lane to the right! It was fortunate that there were was an open unused lane directly next to us else there may have been a serious accident.

-

That was truly her oldest memory, as I was there in the car but don't recall the event.

MY oldest memory of the Blues from nearly half a century ago is of all 6 jets trailing smoke and flying directly towards each other from six different directions during their crossover maneuver. I can't recall what year that was though.

Steve

Comment

The first time I saw the Blues was at a Mather AFB Open House back in the 70's. I was so excited that they were finally appearing near my home (Redding) and I could finally drive myself to see the big, loud, smoky, ground shaking F-4 up close and in formation.

Boy was I disappointed when I got there and saw A-4s on the ramp. I was thinking "What's this S#!+?"

It was still a great show.

Don

Comment

The F-4's back on the t-birds would be great for the public and the lucky pilots who would fly them, not for the maintainers. The F-16 is a simple aircraft that's easy to keep airworthy. They would miss shows with the phantoms. Crew Chiefs in the USAF like aircraft that are not a challenge to fix and don't brake on a daily basis. F-16 DCC Kunsan AB South Korea 8FW "WOLF PACK"

Comment

The greatest air SHOW moment for me was when the B2 flying wing did a pass or two at Reno.

Just like something from another world Oh Yeah! and a much rarer happening than any air show act. And it's OURS!

Bill Kohler

Comment

Originally posted by F-16 CREW CHIEF
                    The F-4's back on the t-birds would be great for the public and the lucky pilots who would fly them, not for the maintainers. The F-16 is a simple aircraft that's easy to keep airworthy. They would miss shows with the phantoms. Crew Chiefs in the USAF like aircraft that are not a challenge to fix and don't brake on a daily basis. F-16 DCC Kunsan AB South Korea 8FW "WOLF PACK"
                    I debated posting this, but I'll go ahead and throw it out there. I've been a crew chief on both the F-4D and the F-16 A/B........I'd pick the Phantom. Yes, it is a challenge, but like the pilots that flew 'em, most of us that crewed the Phantom hold it in high regard as well. Once you get to know the personality and quirks of your own personal Phantom, you learn to enjoy it......she'll treat you well as long as you treat her well.

"Pick" Former 183rd TFG Crew Chief

Comment

Working...
                    X