How about a few more photos??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about a few more photos??

Well I'm through Wednesday of race week. I know I'll have my site updated before next years race.
    Attached Files

Re: How about a few more photos??

Very nice Tim
    Don't feel too bad... I've only done the perliminary sort so far, haven't even started editing
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

That artwork on Ridge Runner III sure looks good (Grinning since I painted it) in the sunlight. Oh no I think I just sprained my arm patting myself on the back. Nice images.

Dave

Comment

Wow! Those are some great photos!

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
          That artwork on Ridge Runner III sure looks good (Grinning since I painted it) in the sunlight. Oh no I think I just sprained my arm patting myself on the back. Nice images.
          LOL.. sprain away buddy... as someone who can't draw a very recognizable stick man, I can understand an occasional "self pat"....

Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wonderful AM shot of Strega.
            Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
            World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Hey Tim, nice shots!!!
              I have a question for anyone familiar with the procedure to lift a merlin. I thought that there were 3 spots on the case (maybe only 2?) that a hook or u-bolt were attached to, to lift the engine. It the photo, it looks like a come-along is attached to the prop shaft, and some other type of cable (looks insulated???) is just looped onto a bolt on the side of the engine. I'm assuming the come-along is for lateral positioning and not really supporting the weight of the engine, but I'm really curious about those other 2 cables. Seems like they would put quite a stress on the valve covers. I don't think I've ever seen an engine lifted in this way unless there is a rear mount that is just out of the photo, but I don't think so...

Any comments?
              TomL

Comment

Originally posted by TomL
                Hey Tim, nice shots!!!
                I have a question for anyone familiar with the procedure to lift a merlin. I thought that there were 3 spots on the case (maybe only 2?) that a hook or u-bolt were attached to, to lift the engine. It the photo, it looks like a come-along is attached to the prop shaft, and some other type of cable (looks insulated???) is just looped onto a bolt on the side of the engine. I'm assuming the come-along is for lateral positioning and not really supporting the weight of the engine, but I'm really curious about those other 2 cables. Seems like they would put quite a stress on the valve covers. I don't think I've ever seen an engine lifted in this way unless there is a rear mount that is just out of the photo, but I don't think so...

Any comments?
                TomL
                There are merlins and there are Race Merrrlins. The stock 51 -7 setup has 2 lugs cast into the crankcase (as in this picture, they are not bolts) and a lifting eye bolted to the back of the nosecase between the banks. On a race Merrrlin the back of the nosecase has bracing built up to support the extra forces generated. As does the side of the crankcase which shows the large silver plate bolted on. That is not stock. I don't think the lifting eye is there anymore. On radials it is standard to use a lifting eye. Also with the racheting cable setup adjustments can easily be made. The center of garvity is somewhere around the front of the 5th cylinder from the front or B5 on this side. (A5 on the r/h side of the motor.)
                The heads on this motor are -600 or -700 series transport heads and banks. And yes, some engine installs use the lifting lug on the valve covers. I believe Griffons use them as well and they are even heavier.
                There is a wire rope harness used and most have a spreader bar to reduce the impact on the head. Matter of fact I soon will need to change a motor. Any Volunteers?
                A major engine builder is scheduled to do the swap as I am knee deep in rebuilding another 51.
                Rich P

Comment

That is not a "stock" engine by any stretch of the imigination. As is typical of all Merlin's there are 3 lifting points. One on either side of the crankcase adjacent to the #6 cylinders and also one in the center of the banks on the backside of the nosecase. However in this instance the backside of the nosecase has a 3/4" thick piece of aluminum to form the front of the triangulated box structure under the intake log and manifolds that is crankcase support bracing. The lifting eye is removed from the case and the lift eye on the end of the propshaft must be used, it is the 3rd member of the lift and does support a lot of weight as well as allowing for angular adjustment of the engine for removal/installation.

Sparrow

Comment

Another perspective from the sidelines of the Strega engine diagnosis with the engine in the air and on the stand. Well, not so different from Tim's as we were standing next to each other. Anyway...

Some of you might recognize NASCAR's (and Racer X's) Jack Roush, he's the guy with Curt Brown. And of course Sparrow. It was really inspiring to see all of the camraderie and cooperation between the teams over those couple of days.

Rob
                    Attached Files

Comment

Rich and Sparrow, Thanks for the explanations! I new the rear lugs weren't bolts, but I couldn't think of the correct word. I thought that I've seen some merlins with an eye plate bolted to the engine that a hooked cable was then attached to, to lift the engine. That must have been another engine. Just a railbird here, and after too many days in the pits, the mind just kind of runs things together

On a semi-related note, just wanted to really thank all the people who are 'the ones doin' answering all the dumb questions from those of us are are 'the ones lookin' Sparrow, Jeff Lo, Ken Dwelle, John P., man, the list just goes on! Great insights!
                      Thanks!
                      TomL

Comment

Working...
                      X