Avitar Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avitar Photos

I just received an email from someone who had taken a photo and that photo had been used by someone else here as their custom "avatar".

PLEASE be careful what photos you upload to this site for private use!

In this case, the photo used was copyrighted by someone who is very particular about use of their images, no matter how small and inconsequential that use might be.

We can never know how someone might react to this type of use and since it is illegal, I must ask that you only use images that you have permission for the use of therein...

Thanks!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Avitar Photos

Oh crap... Who is in charge of Belushi's estate?

Comment

As no fun as it is, you probably ought to change that out to an image you either own, or have permission to use. It will not be about his estate, it will be the owner of the movie 1941 who would be the owner of that image..

Please, change it for me ASAP..

Thanks,
      Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Just a reminder, feel free to rip US government photos, ie: NASA, etc. Most government photos are public domain, and are ok to use, (as long as it's not for advertising, or as otherwise stated).
        The NASA/Dryden site has numerous aviation photos.

Paul

Wayne feel free to correct me if wrong, but I've read several photo disclaimers, stating so.

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          As no fun as it is, you probably ought to change that out to an image you either own, or have permission to use. It will not be about his estate, it will be the owner of the movie 1941 who would be the owner of that image..

Please, change it for me ASAP..

Thanks,
          Wayne
          Wait... Are you being serious? I got it from an avitar site.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
            Wait... Are you being serious? I got it from an avitar site.
            Yes, I am being serious but if you've got rights to the image, you can keep it. Do you mind PM'ing me the URL of the site where you got it? I'd like to make sure *they* have rights to the image.

Copyright violations are VERY serious matters for websites and yes, I have to be really strict about it. It's just the way it is.

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I totally understand you on that My Wayners, but taking off the admin hat for just a sec.... someone who would complain about a tiny little image someone uses for an avatar is far to anal retentive for their own good. Good god man - what is this world comin to . OK... you can put the admin hat back on. I know you gotta do what you gotta do bro.
              Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
                I totally understand you on that My Wayners, but taking off the admin hat for just a sec.... someone who would complain about a tiny little image someone uses for an avatar is far to anal retentive for their own good. Good god man - what is this world comin to . OK... you can put the admin hat back on. I know you gotta do what you gotta do bro.
                Amen on all points. There's a practical (if not legal) difference between someone using a tiny version of someone else's artwork as an avatar versus downloading it and distributing it at full size and resolution, thereby preventing the artist from making legitimate profits. IMO, anyone who is THAT controlling of their product is seriously shooting themselves in the foot in the long run. Just ask Sony...

Come to think of it, there may even be a legal difference under "fair use," but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say one way or the other.

And lest anyone wonder- my avatar picture (picture and subject 'smatter of fact) belongs to me so I don't have a rooster in the ring, dog in the fight, iron in the fire, fist in the glove, or anything else.

Comment

While I totally agree with what both you guys said, and I don't want to point fingers in public to who owned the shot in question, the "threat" was made that if nothing was done, my "ISP" would be notified.

That, my friends, is serious business...

Wayner
                  Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Can we know who it is so we can shun this individual's photos? I certainly would moderate my periodical and book purchases based on knowledge that source of the photos was a jerk!

Michele

Comment

Wasn't me neither...

Excellent post, Tyson!

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                        While I totally agree with what both you guys said, and I don't want to point fingers in public to who owned the shot in question, the "threat" was made that if nothing was done, my "ISP" would be notified.

That, my friends, is serious business...

Wayner
                        I feel ya on that Wayne... and totally understand. I know you well enough to know you would never point fingers in public about this... my comment was meerly an opinion of the copyright holder's questionable behavior.

You'd almost think someone grabbed his favorite Tonka out of his sandbox
                        mine, mine, mine!
                        Mark K....

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra
                          You'd almost think someone grabbed his favorite Tonka out of his sandbox
                          My Hough Payloader was the real workhorse! Even had a cast iron lowboy to tote it to "job" sites. Christmas circa 1961... My bro got Airfix tanks that year, too.

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                            My Hough Payloader was the real workhorse! Even had a cast iron lowboy to tote it to "job" sites. Christmas circa 1961... My bro got Airfix tanks that year, too.

http://www.buynsellit.com/Heinz/EGarage3/25.jpg
                            SuhWHEEEEEEEEET Peas!
                            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
                              SuhWHEEEEEEEEET Peas!
                              LOL, at the tender age of 5, I was probably wearing foot-jammies when I opened up those presents.
                              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Working...
                              X