IF1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF1 question

OK IF1 folks -- in working with my stuff from Reno, I noticed something I've not seen before. In the two pictures I've attached Scotty C's #12 seems to have considerable anhedral. In the group shot #11's wings are flexing noticeably upward, Gary's are absolutely straight, and Scotty's look distictly angled down, even though he is obviously pulling Gs. In the individual pylon shot it still looks to me like the wings angle down.

So is this airplane built that way, or am I seeing things? Has it always been like this? Why would this be done?

Thanks... Neal
    Attached Files

Re: IF1 question

I think that is just an illusion caused by a wing with a straight leading edge and a forward-swept trailing edge. in fact, it almost appears that #12's wing might have a leading edge that is slightly forward-swept.

This is just my observation of the photos, as I have not seen #12 up close.

Comment

I've been waiting for Apteryx to post in on this but he must be off eating lots of turkey.
      Its a straight (no die or anhedral) constant taper wing built by Craig Catto.

Comment

Hey Tom, Neal-
        No turkey yet, just dog tired, and sleeping in.
        It SHOULDN'T have anhedral, but it's certainly something to check, thanks.

We had a new crew member years ago, (on what actually turned out to be Scotty's airplane), torque down the wing spar strap, (slab wing), that set up a compression fracture, that worked it's way 3/4's through the spar. It was one good 'G' pull away from setting a VERY ugly snap roll record, when I found it. Scrapped the wing, of coarse, (no Elmer's), but it's something I always like to check when you have steel on wood or composite.

Thanks again. Paul

Comment

Working...
        X