Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tough Being at the Top

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
    His definition of what makes a "Mouse Motor" most prominent in my eyes as being incomplete and, just plain wrong. A "Mouse Motor" is one made by Dwight Thorn's Mystery Aire.. Any others would be "Mouse Like" motors... at least in my humble opinion..
    I too noticed the same thing. After reading it I thought I was wrong in thinking that only Thorn modified merlins were Mouse Merlins. Thanks for clearing that up.

Jarrod

Comment

Re: Air Comix

I also subscribe to Air Comics and have it setting here with me. I agree that the Reno coverage is blah as usual. One thing I don't get is why Larsen is being pinned for the comments regarding 'Mouse Motors. The article states: GLOSSARY OF AIR RACING TERMS, Two time unlimited gold champion Bruce Lockwood defines some of the most used unlimited terms. As far as what was stated about the Mouse Motor-- the problem is what??? As far as Wayne's comment: all of my engines that use the G6 Allison rods are the same format of engine that MAD built when I worked with Dwight. The magazine statements are very generalized and correct, but according to title were made by Bruce.

Sparrow

Comment

Re: Tough Being at the Top

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
        I've never met MOL...
        I have on more than one occasion. Once, he was going places where we were told (As Ramp Security) that photographers should not be. When we approached him and kindly asked him and his people to depart the area (The FAA asked us to keep people out of this area for safety reasons) He came back with, "Do you know who I am?" Of course we knew, and we told him, it was not us, or RARA, it was a special request (Safety Commandment) from the FAA. It took some finessing and glad handling, but he eventually did leave, but not before he let us all know who he was and why he deserved special treatment (You know the races would not exist without him....)

I did not see him this year, as worked the military side of the ramp, but in years past, I have had to go out of my way to "handle" situations where he was involved. Of course we always try to be courteous and not be confrontational, but some folks do not make that easy (Anders almost ran me over this year...). They feel they are "air race royalty" and should be treated as such...or the rules are for everyone else...

I've heard a few times that MOL has had some issues with using others photos without permission in the past ...

...I wonder how many times that MOL has used images that later were griped about by various sources, may have been sent to him with implied consent to publish..

Proabably a lot, but in all fairness, that is just what I have heard from many Reno participants and photographers. He has a pretty well known reputation around the aviation community for using other peoples stuff and crediting himself. Of course, this is all heresay and rumor, but if you mention his name around most photographers, that is the reaction you will often get.

As to the coverage, one year (I can not remember which...recent past), they used the same silly catch phrases over and over (Like 4 times in different parts of the same article), and the coverage and proofing was comical at best. I am often disappointed that T-6's race, Jets race, T-28's have raced in the past, yet the only coverage we seem to get is on unlimiteds. I remember the old air progress coverage which was usually great. All the classes were represented, qualifying, race results, special happenings, and even some behind the scenes stuff. I sure would like a publication to make that kind of effort again. Remember the "Western Flyer"??? They used to interview Mom occasionally, Lyle as President of PRPA/USARA, Clay Lacy...again, great information was passed. I still have some of the old copies somewhere.

So much happens at Reno in one week, the single minded coverage of AC just does it no justice at all.
        Glenn Bloom
        www.helicopterpage.com

Comment

Air Progress used to do a fairly decent job with the Air Races. Don't know what happened to that publication. Air Classics used to be pretty good for the Air Race coverage, and they still have some nice photos. I think we are seeing way nicer photos from ALL of the contributors to this board. I think that the quality has been in decline since they seemed to start rushing the issue to press. I remember the last good issue was back when you had to wait until very late in the year to get the issue that covered the races. I don't recall ever getting the issue this early. Maybe I'm all wet with that view, but that's what I think. I just buy it now because I file it with my Air Race program from that year to help me with my website, (and my memory), when I have time to mess with it. Wayne has the right idea when he talks about the different shades of envy we all have in regards to MOL's resources. Too bad MOL can't take a helping of humble pie with the turkey he serves.
          Happy Thanksgiving Everyone,
          Bill (aka: Air Race Addict)
          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow
            I also subscribe to Air Comics and have it setting here with me. I agree that the Reno coverage is blah as usual. One thing I don't get is why Larsen is being pinned for the comments regarding 'Mouse Motors. The article states: GLOSSARY OF AIR RACING TERMS, Two time unlimited gold champion Bruce Lockwood defines some of the most used unlimited terms. As far as what was stated about the Mouse Motor-- the problem is what??? As far as Wayne's comment: all of my engines that use the G6 Allison rods are the same format of engine that MAD built when I worked with Dwight. The magazine statements are very generalized and correct, but according to title were made by Bruce.
            Mike, my bad... didn't notice that the comments were attributed to Bruce. I stand on my correction though. The actual term "Mouse Motor" from what I understand, is pretty well "owned" by Dwight.

I know you're closer to the subject than I ever will be and I don't mean to take anything away from anyone building Merlins for racing or otherwise but, this is the information I get from really close to the "source" and out of respect for Dwight, I'll stand on the statement.

It's like calling a Pepsi a Coke. Yea, they are both colas and both taste pretty much the same but they are made by two different companies and one owns the generic term "Coke"...

Hope I cleared this up.

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Your entitled to your opinion, however the term "Mouse Motor" actually comes from the Tiger.

Sparrow

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow
                Your entitled to your opinion, however the term "Mouse Motor" actually comes from the Tiger.

Sparrow
                Mike, you're undoubtedly "righter" than I am

I was told, and I think it was by Dwight, (I could easily be remembering incorrectly) that it was something that came up between Tiger and THE DOCTOR. DOC comes by once in a while, maybe he can set me straight??

He hit me with an email a while back, was having problems logging in.. I'll try to get him all fixed up. I miss his wit round here...

DOCTOR... you here??

Wayne
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hey whazzup Wayne,

DOC is maybe zipping his Zinfandel. My girlfriend is a medical doctor...could she help you ? She certainly has helped me.

I am high as a kite.

Mouse Merlin is a lot lighter than a late Merlin and Griffons. What was the last Allison V-1710 engined racer in Reno ? Are they definitely out of the question ?
                  http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Seriously folks,

I am also very interested about the Mouse Merlin / power and weight. I recall Tsunami had the biggest possible Merlin on it..capable of 3 500 HP or was it 2800 hp ?

The Falconer of Thunder is a 980 lbs with prop and turns out 660 hp.

I hope Dwight Thorne soon comes and tells the specs of the Mouse Merlin. If air racing runs outa Merlins...then radials will rule...and that would be boring right ?

Sorry if I interrupted with my previous comment. My "doc" is also interested in aviation...went to an airshow last summer with me.

Here as a teaser the last LAMINAR foiled Supermarine...THE SPITEFUL.
                    Attached Files
                    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hey Juke,
                      All that Spiteful needs is boil off cooling for the coolant and oil and it's a winner.
                      Chris...

Comment

I'd have to agree with Randy. I've been readng AC since 1973, still have all those issues, and Warbirds since the first issue. It used to be the best, and the old issues are great for tracking the progress of the movement and the history of the aircraft.
                        Today it is what it is, more fluff than information. But I still subscribe to both, and still enjoy the fluff.

Comment

Working...
                        X