GP5 takes flight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GP5 takes flight

This won't be considered a "modified GP-4" by the Sport Class. But, If George were to sell plans, he could get to 5 in no time! Who cares if it can't race in unlimited? The Sport Class proved this year that it can stand quite well on its own two feet and provide plenty of exciting racing action.

Anybody built a wooden airplane recently?
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
      Here's a thought for ford lovers

In all actuality, the exhaust spacing doesn't necessarily prove a small block Chevy. It could be a Mopar.

There's a reason 95% of open wheel sprintcars, modifieds, late models, etc use Chevy and some Mopar. If you're going to adapt an automotive based engine to air racing, you would definitely use a Chevy, or perhaps a Mopar. It is the most logical reason by far.

I bet Magnum 440 could chime in with some thoughts on this.

Just my .02

Tommy
      I'd bet a lot that its NOT a Mopar, but a small-block Chevy. The aftermarket is so crazy about the SBC that it really is orders of magnitude easier to do way-out custom installs on it than it is Ford or Mopar. The exception is the Hemi, and this is clearly not a Hemi since it has equal-spaced exhaust ports much like a Big-block Chevy or a Ford.

Comment

Is the GP-5 a two place? I thought the the sportclass requires the plane to be a two place. Also what is the rule with plans VS kits? How much do you have to supply to make it a "kit"?

Michele

Comment

Originally posted by morss
          last try
          Couple questions: 1) Is that lead ballast between the spinner and the battery?; and 2) whose Mustang is in the hangar?
          Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Dave,

George is a very good friend of mine and has spent a lot of time and heartache putting his beauty together. I'm happy that he had you fly her. For those that are interested, she has a aluminum chevy with 448 cubic inches and over 500 hp behind a geschwender PSRU and cut down Cessna 421 prop.

God speed!

Comment

Working...
            X