Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GP5 takes flight

Originally posted by Peashooter
    ...And Eric, what do you think, does it have adequate vertical tail area/moment?
    Peas-
    Why not ask Dave, no knock on Eric, I value his opinion too, but Dave is collecting the empirical data.
    A test pilot's report, beats an educated guess, any day.

Patience Peashopper, and stay tuned...

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
      Peas-
      Why not ask Dave, no knock on Eric, I value his opinion too, but Dave is collecting the empirical data.
      A test pilot's report, beats an educated guess, any day.

Patience Peashopper, and stay tuned...

Paul
      I too will defer to Dave, since he's the one closest to the program. On the WAG front, 500+ continuous HP is possible using endurance racing parts. Although I prefer headers over stubs, the jury is still out over the benefit of headers vs. the tighter cowl. Two of the top 5 F1's use stubs, 3 use headers.

From the pictures, it would seem that the radiator ducting rises and falls under the pilot's knees; very tight packaging.

The GP-4 was reported to be a good handling airplane and this is very similar in tail size and arm. Have to wait for Dave on this.
      Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

Isn't this the racer that was originally supposed to be called "Heartbeat" to play on the then current Chevy advertizing campaign?

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
          Does the pilot sit on top of the radiator or behind it? And Eric, what do you think, does it have adequate vertical tail area/moment? And given the prop, how many ponies, 350?

I'm guessing here with the exhaust spacing, but here's a thought for Ford lovers....
          Here's a thought for ford lovers

In all actuality, the exhaust spacing doesn't necessarily prove a small block Chevy. It could be a Mopar.

There's a reason 95% of open wheel sprintcars, modifieds, late models, etc use Chevy and some Mopar. If you're going to adapt an automotive based engine to air racing, you would definitely use a Chevy, or perhaps a Mopar. It is the most logical reason by far.

I bet Magnum 440 could chime in with some thoughts on this.

Just my .02

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by matt
            in all seriousness though, i'm really digging this plane. alot of it is what i had envisioned for my conventional design (as some of you may remember)
            Matt,

That was the first thing on my mind...they let Matt design it.

regards,

Juke
            http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Looks like the belly scoop has a flow divider. I'm guessing the oil cooler is down there also. The prop tips are certainly interesting. don't recall seeing any that squared off before.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
                This appears to be either the next model in the Osprey Aircraft line or a single-seat, V-8 version of the GP-4. If it is the latter, it is a legal Sport Class racer RIGHT NOW!!!

If the Sport Class determines it to be a unique model and not a modification of a kit that has several flying and many sold, then we're hosed. It's way too small to make 4500 lb; 2500 is more likely.
                Odd to quote myself here but a thought just occurrred to me...

Although the aircraft has GP-5 on it, the modifications from the GP-4 airframe are very close to the modifications of an RV-4 to F-1 Rocket status:

1. New and larger engine;
                2. New cowling;
                3. New cooling (OK, the sccop is more extensive than a Rocket's oil cooler scoop, but it's the same theory);
                4. Single seat vs. side-by-side (the Rocket is single seat vs. tandem).

To me (and IM<HO) this means that it SHOULD be legal Sport Class racer since many GP-4's are out there and it meets the homogulation rule.

Thoughts?

As for the prop, one thing we should all learn from the 2005 races is that Hartzell absorbed a LOT of power with that little three blader. Seeing the GP-5 run 500 HP through the same size prop is on the same level.
                Eric Ahlstrom

Comment

eng install
                  Attached Files
                  www.davemorss.com

Comment

bigger
                    Attached Files
                    www.davemorss.com

Comment

try try again
                      Attached Files
                      www.davemorss.com

Comment

I quit but its big on my screen
                        I can really see the details of installation
                        www.davemorss.com

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Foam
                          To me (and IM<HO) this means that it SHOULD be legal Sport Class racer since many GP-4's are out there and it meets the homogulation rule.
                          Thoughts?
                          There's precedence for all the Sport considerations, and although RARA is said to be "reconsidering" the 4500lb rule, I wouldn't hold my breath.
                          Dave says it flies great. Love to see it on the pylons.

Paul

Comment

thanks for the thought dave, i do appreciate, the small pictures do answer a few questions.

thanks again

matt
                            heh heh alriiiight

Comment

last try
                              Attached Files
                              www.davemorss.com

Comment

thanks dave, you're the coolest.

wait, it's normally asperated?