Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Do you remember the time.....

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
    Yeah, and here is what she looked like after they dragged her sorry looking self out of the desert. Could have been a WHOLE lot worse.
    Bill (aka: AIr Race Addict)

As I remember, Tipsy Too was the test-bed for the experimental "single-stage" Merlin that Jack was making for Tsunami. Ran really great, right up to the point where it blew up!

Comment

You go back to the National air racing group newsletter of Reno 1983 i have aq pic taking form Lemon Valley it was called Fryday cummeter traffic Shawn

Comment

Originally posted by King
        Yes, we are as far as I know. I guess we are trying to collect one of every North American product .
        Even the F-107 and the B-70?
        COOL!

Chris...

P.S. The Mustang looks really well done.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
          Even the F-107 and the B-70?
          COOL!

Chris...

P.S. The Mustang looks really well done.
          Hmmmmmmm.............maybe.

BTW - You may, and a strong may, see the Mustang in the pits next year.

Comment

Funniest thing I saw was the time in early/mid 80's when the Air Force had a little gas powered F-16 (maybe an F-4) that they used to run around the ramp as part of their recruiting effort.
            It had an extended probe sticking out of the nose, and they ran it up and down the line in front of the crowd.
            The guy driving it got excited by something flying overhead and wasn't watching where he was going.
            He hit a ramp truck, and the nose probe punctured the truck's tire with a huge "boom"!
            Everyone in the stands looked down to see the "pilot" flop out onto the ground and the ramp truck sitting on a flat tire.

Everyone laughed (no one hurt) and the crowd started yelling about how four more would make him an ace, suggesting that he paint a truck under the canopy, and lots of other helpful advice.

~Lance

Comment

Memories:

3 P-38's on the course......I think it was late 60's or early 70's

The year only a couple of seconds between first and fourth place. I think it was Conquest 1, Miss Merced, Roto Special or Miss Bardhahl, and can't remember the other airplane..............anyone remember?

The early days when the unlimter course was oval and the straigh aways were essentially slightly angeled to the runway. The planes nearly passed overhead at the east end of the bleachers heading for a pylon out in lemon valley.

The horse race starts on the runway and ramp for the T-6's.......anyone know how many props strikes over the years happened due to gears being pulled up to soon, and the airplanes settling back a little.........tick tick goes the prop OUCH

and how bout the year Greenameyer used oxen to pull Conquest 1 out to the ramp.

Comment

The ultralight races? Longest race in history, thank goodness they only demo'd it one year...snooze!

The R/C model demos

Pat Caniry (sp) and his one man hot air balloon, landing in the stands?

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  There was Levitz' Ramp Rat Reports...
                  Does anyone other than me have photos of these?
                  sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                  http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore
                    Does anyone other than me have photos of these?
                    Everyone who has Tegler's book has a photo of the 1975 version...

I'd love to see some posted if you've got 'em!

Comment

Originally posted by King
                      Yes, we are as far as I know. I guess we are trying to collect one of every North American product .

Good luck on finding a used Valkyrie...

Comment

To add to an earlier topic in this thread, here's a picture of a poster we keep in the break room of the CAF main hangar from the '97 Races with the winner of the "Heavy" division.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                          Good luck on finding a used Valkyrie...
                          I can tell ya where to find one in decent shape, but yer on yer own to acquire it...
                          _________
                          -Matt
                          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by retroaviation
                            To add to an earlier topic in this thread, here's a picture of a poster we keep in the break room of the CAF main hangar from the '97 Races with the winner of the "Heavy" division.

Gary
                            You gotta bring that one back to Reno next year, maybe squeeze a Cassutt or two in the bomb rack!?
                            F1 Race 98 & 99

Comment

Originally posted by hattend
                              The ultralight races? Longest race in history, thank goodness they only demo'd it one year...snooze!

The R/C model demos

Pat Caniry (sp) and his one man hot air balloon, landing in the stands?

Don
                              Someone say ultralight racing?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Do you remember the first time you saw Art Scholl fly by the crowd with one leg out of the cockpit?

Or the Grumman Duck routine?

Or Lefty coming back into the pits dragging some barbed wire from his left wing tip?

Or Bertha and Tina from the Nugget?

Or the Red Devils?

Comment

Working...
                                X