Do you remember the time.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do you remember the time.....

I didn't think it looked legit at first, but after zooming in on the photo and staring at it for a while, I can see the blurred dark outline of the pole going across the nose. It would seem pointless to do all the extra Photoshop work to insert the plane in that position. If you're going to fake it, why not place it to the right in "open" sky?

Comment

drmull, my guess would be that if it is indeed fake that mark is a photoshop nerd and loves a challenge...
      heh heh alriiiight

Comment

No he didnt cut that a orginal pic form the chuck Aro era he has a lot more and one time i got buzz by Lefty one year do you remember that Neal all the best Shawn

Comment

Lefty wanst the only one who flew like that there was Chuck Hall and Bob Love Shawn

Comment

Hi Shawn -- Yes, he did fly that low -- all the time in fact. I have shots of both Lefty and Chuck Hall in #28 that look like this...

Neal

Comment

Lefty sure flew low. In 82 I got to see him qualify from outer 4.
              Sorry Wayne, thought I was logged in. THATS why my posts arent showing up...
              Anyone who's watched lefty go around the course, well the man sure had a feel for the ground. There was a video clip circulating a while back of him climbing toward one of the pylons and screaming over, can't post cuz not sure who's it was.
              Skip Holm used to get down in the dirt also, and I've seen Mike Brown get BB low enough to make me cringe (especially those hard turns after takeoff with the gear in transit, and the SHORT finals).
              Anybody else used to pucker now and then for Art Scholl's six sided loop, or the first time you saw Jimmy Franklins inverted spin?

Leo
              Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
              airplanenutleo@gmail.com
              thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                Anybody else used to pucker now and then for Art Scholl's six sided loop, or the first time you saw Jimmy Franklins inverted spin?

Leo
                OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH!
                _________
                -Matt
                Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                  I think it's an illusion. The pole looks like it is behind the nose, but the barrel looks like it is in front of it.
                  That's because the camera is tracking Lefty and the pole and barrel are both blurred. The pole is skinny enough that it is narrower than the width of the blur region, but the barrel is fat enough that its wider than the blur so there is no area where the nose of 'White Lightnin' is able to show "through." No trickery there, and I've seen far to many OTHER pictures of Lefty flying that line. Using Photoshop to make Lefty's flying look more amazing than it really is would be a complete waste of effort!

Another good one to watch is the Skyfire video clip that's still up at:
                  http://p38whitelightnin.com/gallery/vid/LEFTY-384K.WMV (broadband)
                  http://p38whitelightnin.com/gallery/vid/LEFTY-56K.WMV (dialup)

I love the gear starting to retract while the mains are still bouncing on the runway... Watching that again makes me a little sad, knowing I'll never see that routine again.

Comment

Originally posted by J.C. Paul
                    We actually have all of Fred's original Air Race Cartoons- we sell copies of a couple them out of our gift shop at the Warhawk Air Museum. Call the gift shop. www.warhawkairmuseum.org 208-465-6446.

**ADMIN NOTE** this one has no signature but is really good so goes into the pile!

That is John Paul, the P-40 "Guru", Wayne. yes...it is really good.

Comment

ANY of you who are questioning as to whether Chuck Aro's photo of Lefty at pylon 6 is photo shopped are just plain nuts. This was a real picture, taken at a time before photo shop even was in the minds of the creators.

That is what I hate about today's generation. You see a good picture and automatically think it HAS to be a fake.

Comment

So Brad -- "Photoshop" is now a verb??

LOL... Neal

Comment

One year I was at Reno with my then Swedish girlfriend and Lefty signaled her out of the crowd and invited her up on his wing to look at the cockpit, lots of cameras were going off. Well she didn't know a P38 from a P51 but to this day she still talks about it. Lefty Liked Blondes in short shorts.

Comment

OK I need help. What is the name of that classical piano song that Lefty always played during his airshow routine? I have been wondering since about 1987... HELP!
                            Luckily they played it in that first Skyfire clip, since it just wouldn't be Lefty's show without that song.
                            _________
                            -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
                              So Brad -- "Photoshop" is now a verb??

LOL... Neal
                              Yeah, its kind of like using "Nurmi'" as a verb (i.e. to 'drop trou' in a most unflattering manner). As in, "Man, did you just see that guy Nurmi us?"

I KNOW that Kallio has that picture somewhere...

:-)

Comment

"Fedex" became a verb, as did "Tivo".
                                _________
                                -Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X