Re: Do you remember the time.....

ops i forgot to put the date on that 1978 shawn

Comment

Thanks for the pictures stumac

Jarrod

Comment

One of the best memories of Reno is watching Tsunami (Skip Holm / with the Orange & blue paint) and The Red Knight (T-33 piloted by Rick Brickert) doing a couple laps in formation during practice. This was just after Skip had flown Tsunami over the pits at VERY high speed. I was later told by one of the Sandbergs that the pass was WELL in excess of 500 mph. Of course that pass was almost a straight line, but it was still exciting to see.

That, and the first high speed pass I ever "felt" in my chest when the Bear went by with the three blade prop. I had to change my boxers after that, and not because of skid marks! EEEEUUuuuuwwwww!!! T. M. I.

Race 29
        Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

When we got boomed by the F-16 demo pilot on Saturday? I was standing by the ERA hangar and nearly choked on my hot dog. That one sure rattled the doors! Pretty awesome.

Rob

Comment

How about seeing the B24 go on the course tight and low after the gold race on sunday. Sorry, don't remember the year but there were a lot of us in awe. I'm sure someone will post in with the year.

Comment

Originally posted by Propellerhead
              When we got boomed by the F-16 demo pilot on Saturday? I was standing by the ERA hangar and nearly choked on my hot dog. That one sure rattled the doors! Pretty awesome.

Rob
              THAT I remember well. A buddy of mine and I were walking back through the pits, when he BOOMMMMMMed and it felt like we were just pushed to the ground. I am sure it just scared us so bad that we dropped.

That year and a few years before and after, there was the guy in the pit area that drew the caricatures of everyone and he drew a picture of a face with a FAA hat on. The FAA guy was wearing mirrored sunglasses and there was a crack all the way through the glasses. In the reflection of the glasses you can se the F-16 passing by.

I tried to purchase the artwork, but he would not sell it at the time.

Comment

an interesting piece of trivia about the year the B29 & B24 rounded the pylons....

Later in the week, a C-130 also rounded the pylons....

Having timed both events, I can tell you, the bombers were faster! I had pictures at one time (one shot had both bombers and the Skyraider? or was it a T-28? don't remember now). Unfortunately, those shots went the way of my ex

Guess I've been around a while, cuz I remember a lot of the stuff mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by wardog
                  (one shot had both bombers and the Skyraider? or was it a T-28? don't remember now
                  Looks like a T-28 or a Yak in my photo...something with a 3-bladed prop.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                    Looks like a T-28 or a Yak in my photo...something with a 3-bladed prop.

Yeah, it is a T-28. I watched the video last night. The T-28 was the one entered by Neil Anderson that year in the Unlimited Class. The bombers had gone down to do an overflight of downtown Reno, and were accompanied by the T-28, Alan Preston in 'Butterknife', and Bruce Lockwood in the Museum of Flying's P-47.

The fighters came back and beat up the field, while the bombers ran around the pylons twice. First lap was in a loose formation, second lap was in trail. It looks so deceiving because they are so big, but they were moving pretty fast by the time they came past home pylon!

Comment

I've always had to be a fan from afar, so I wasn't there for any of those.

But the story about the caricatures reminded me- there used to be pictures either here or on the old Pylon 1 site of a couple of the big posters of caricatures that used to appear each year in the vicinity of Pardue's pit. Anyone have a link to those, anyone have MORE photos of those they could share, etc.? That was some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                        I've always had to be a fan from afar, so I wasn't there for any of those.

But the story about the caricatures reminded me- there used to be pictures either here or on the old Pylon 1 site of a couple of the big posters of caricatures that used to appear each year in the vicinity of Pardue's pit. Anyone have a link to those, anyone have MORE photos of those they could share, etc.? That was some of the funniest stuff I've ever seen.

Nelson Ezell's son does those. But that was actually a tradition that was started by the late Fred Sebby. I have a picture of one from 1988 that is ABSOLUTELY hilarious. Some of the zingers in there are just brutal, including poking fun @ Vendetta by having a P-51-winged Lear Jet flying by in the background, talking about the Bellanca-tail they stole to put on Mr. Awesome, etc. I'll try to scan it and post it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                          Nelson Ezell's son does those. But that was actually a tradition that was started by the late Fred Sebby. I have a picture of one from 1988 that is ABSOLUTELY hilarious. Some of the zingers in there are just brutal, including poking fun @ Vendetta by having a P-51-winged Lear Jet flying by in the background, talking about the Bellanca-tail they stole to put on Mr. Awesome, etc. I'll try to scan it and post it soon.
                          Kraz was doing a pretty good job of picking up the torch but he fell off the radar screen a couple years ago, sadly...

I think that somewhere on the board in the last few weeks, Jon Sharp said he'd talked with him down in Mo Jive and he was still alive and kicking.. . Here's the link to his stuff from those days... Don't know what happened to having it linked on the site... seems to have missed out when we did the first phase of the aafo/pylon1 rebuild... http://www.aafo.com/gallery/cartoon/

This toon http://www.aafo.com/gallery/cartoon/arch-8.htm is the first thing I saw done by Kraz way back and was the reason I asked him if he'd consider being a contributor at this site... I miss him!

Wayne
                          Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

There was Levitz' Ramp Rat Reports...

Skip Holms amazing landing of Jeannie in 82...

The sound of the Super Corsair that first year echoing off the Thunder clouds as he opened it up one evening...

The rabbit being chased by the Tora Tora explosions, getting more cheers than the show...

SR-71 passes...

Johnny Rutherford and the Whittingtons destruction derby...

The year the F-1's came together on the ramp, scratch one tail and one prop, then Lear's offer to help fix it...

I remember Ketchens ramp landing well, have a slide of it from head on. A group of us were out on the ramp looking at a Curtiss Hawk, WAY out on the ramp (security was less then) when he came around the corner, gear down, headed right for us. We all raised our cameras, took the shot, then realised we were about to get run down. We scattered, a couple into the dirt between the ramp and runway, as he whistled by.
                            Got a good talking to by the local constabulary soon after about where we could and could'nt be!

Comment

Originally posted by 440_Magnum
                              there used to be pictures either here or on the old Pylon 1 site of a couple of the big posters of caricatures that used to appear each year in the vicinity of Pardue's pit.
                              I had a couple of them up on Pylon1 back in the day. I just sifted through my old box of Reno pics and I have the one from '94, '97, and an unknown year. I also have my personal favorite, from 1991, entitled "Round-Engined Monster Sucks Pond Dry"

I don't have a scanner with me at the moment, but I'll see if I can use a friend's this weekend and post them.

Comment

My dad said that a DC-8 once went around the pylons with a guy straped on top.

Comment

Working...
                                X