Do you remember the time.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember the time.....

How about a "Do You Remember the Time" thread.

Example - Do you remember back in 1991 when the AT-6G was rounding the pylons, got a little low around one pylon and and bent the left wing tip up and deposited about 3 feet of the left aileron by the pylon?

He rolled out using rudder and controlled his attitude with rudder and power, but when he pulled the power back in order to try and get to the runway the airplane rolled and then cartwheeled out on the course. BIG cloud of dust and little airplane pieces everywhere. We all sat there thinking oh crap. The fire trucks raced over there, the helicopter flew over and landed, then a little later flew back to the staging area. Everyone thought he was gone but I kept watching through the binoculars as the fire crews unhurriedly cut open the side of the fuselage. Finally they open it up and lo and behold, out crawls the pilot.

That was an amazing day!

Re: Do you remember the time.....

I remember that. I think the plane was called "Yabba Dabba Do" or something like that. Had Fred Flintstone painted on the side.

-Okay. Does anybody remember the time that Bob Love got caught in a 'roundie's' wake turbulance (I think it was a Corsair...maybe Howard's Bearcat), and did a barrel-roll out over the guide pylon between 3 and 4? Must have been '84, or so.

Comment

Does anyone have any pictures of this?

Jarrod

Comment

There is a video clip of the accident on "Skyfire" from that year...

Was pretty wild to watch! RG

You still looking for a T-6 King??

Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
        RIP 03/17/10

Comment

The tug races were actually fun to watch and be a part of?

FiFi & Diamond Lil' ran around the pylons 'after hours'?

There were 5 Corsairs racing @ Reno?

A pile of horse maneuer 'appeared' under the radiator door of Pegasus?

They dropped the car from the Sky Crane directly on the active?

That there were NO Sea Furies OR Bearcats at Reno?

Earl Ketchen decided the ramp was as good as the runway?

Al Goss didn't have red on the wingtips of Warlock?

Comment

Geek!
            Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
            RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
              There is a video clip of the accident on "Skyfire" from that year...

Was pretty wild to watch! RG

You still looking for a T-6 King??

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...12X18122&key=1
              Yes, we are as far as I know. I guess we are trying to collect one of every North American product .

Comment

The tug races were a blast.

Watching the Pond Racer make big pretty blue fire balls during run-up on the ramp at night.........

Us pinning Wayne Handley in the porta-potty with our car bumper. That was a funny sight watching him banging on the door, then bending to top of the plastic door down and trying to look out and see what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
                  Geek!

Uh, huh. Sad part is, I know YOU were there for every one of those things I named.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    FiFi & Diamond Lil' ran around the pylons 'after hours'?

Comment

Randy - Great shots! I would have loved to HEAR FiFi round the pylons - must have been amazing. What year??

Comment

Other sites say it was 1997 - is that correct? If so, are you aware of any video clips of the event? Thanks -

Comment

The T-6 that crunched the wingtip around the pylons then cartwheeled when making a landing attempt was being flown by Jim Mott and the airplane was owned by Jerry Miles.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I recall watching this from the wing of Warlock with Randy Goss screaming at Jim to cut the power and belly it in on Rwy 8.
                            He flew a big left turn to Rwy 18. Randy was not happy when he put the gear down. Cross wind and no ailerons spelled disaster.

I also recall that this was the first time he's flown a T-6 without putting on the shoulder harnesses.

Saw home movie footage that night on the Local News that showed the wingtip and aileron separating as the a/c yawed toward the ground. Very Spooky.

T

Comment

Did any one every see the stearmen accdent my told me he was trying to pick up a banner and he got with his landing gear insted of his hook and smack it on the runway alll the best shawn

Comment

Working...
                              X