Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Do you remember the time.....

Originally posted by Bigger Al
    Do you remember the first time you saw Art Scholl fly by the crowd with one leg out of the cockpit?
    Now that was a "flip-flop" I never got tired of!

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

see post #118....remember when there wasn't a bunch of housing in the back of the valley? I'm comparing that pic to some that were taken this year....wow, what a difference.
      Mike S
      www.indyairshow.com
      www.indytransponder.com

Comment

Originally posted by wingman
        There is a great interview with Lefty on one of John Altman"s "Reno on Record" CDs where he talks about pylon 6. He says he reallly used to enjoy scaring the photographers out there -- He'd just crank in a little nose down trim, aim at the pylon til the photogs dove for the dirt, and then just relax the wheel and let the airplane drift out enough to clear the pylon. Great story, especially with the accent...
        Here's one of my views from 9/15/83 at old Outer 6 Pylon...

Bucky
        Attached Files

Comment

Do you remember the time.......When some of the members who made this a great thread were still here? Not trying to be negetive...just saying things have changed here in the last two years since this thread was started.

Comment

This is absolutely my favorite thread on this site. Thank you to everyone who has added their memories and photos. I have only been to Reno for the past 4 years so I really love this kind of history being told. I am very fortunate to get to be "inside the rope" of Tiger's pit, since I married one of his crew a couple of years ago. You may have seen me this year I was the redhead hawking his t-shirts
            Gentlemen please please please keep this kind of story telling going for the benefit of all....
            Thank you!
            Kathleen

Comment

Yes I remeber you.Bought a shirt from ya.You would'nt 'meber me tho.
              Six foot 5in blond dude w'straw hat and kid in tow.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                Everyone who has Tegler's book has a photo of the 1975 version...

I'd love to see some posted if you've got 'em!
                For anyone who doesn't know, the ramp rat reports were a daily morning ritual. I'm not sure how many of them I have, they're all on 35 mm slides, but I'm in the process of getting all my dad's slides on digital media and then I'll start posting them.

I grew up around Levitz's crew. My dad crewed for Cliff Cummins on Miss Candace and Gary let me hang out, when I wasn't following Kenny Burnstein around.

Speaking of Kenny, who here remembers his t-shirt collection?!
                sandra@pit-lizards-ultd.net
                http://www.pit-lizards-ultd.net

Comment

Strega had a Ramp Rat Report board this year. Was the same all week. Took a picture of it, but it might be a little to "adult" considering it was about the Bear and her various derogatory names this year...
                  Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                  airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                  thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by sandramore
                    For anyone who doesn't know, the ramp rat reports were a daily morning ritual. I'm not sure how many of them I have, they're all on 35 mm slides, but I'm in the process of getting all my dad's slides on digital media and then I'll start posting them.

I grew up around Levitz's crew. My dad crewed for Cliff Cummins on Miss Candace and Gary let me hang out, when I wasn't following Kenny Burnstein around.

Speaking of Kenny, who here remembers his t-shirt collection?!
                    Sandra,

I would appreciate it if you would e-mail me at <Chopsoeyforme@yahoo.com>. I think we would have a LOT to talk about...and I can get you Gordon Cole's address too. And Ron Fortune.

Brad Haskin

Comment

Talking about Lefty and White Lightnin', do you remember Lefty flying his routine while Bob Hoover was giving his safety talk prior to the Gold Race? I don't think there has ever been and maybe ever will be as graceful of a routine as the one Lefty flew. I remember he always flew to the classic piano song " Ballade pour Adaline". I'm not sure if I spelled it write though. I learned how to play this song on the piano when I was 13, inspired by Lefty and his flying. I'll always remember playing this piano song for people wishing I could show them Lefty's flying at the same time to incite those same emotions that I always got watching Lefty!
                      MRussell, if you need to know the correct spelling of this song, I'm sure I can find the sheet music somewhere.
                      Again talking about Lefty, shortly before going to Reno this year I pulled out our old Skyfire video featuring Lefty. I loved watching that old video despite it's poor VHS quality. Anyhow, it was interesting watching his son Ladd play around on the wing of the P-38, completely bored out of his mind while his dad told stories. I sat there thinking how odd it was that he was so young in the video and that he would eventually go on to fly White Lightnin' and unfortunately be at the controls during it's demise.
                      After all that, while I was at Reno this year with my father, I was standing in one of those long lines for food in the pits when I turned around to look at the gentleman behind me. I noticed his shirt said Ladd Gardner Insurance on it. Not quite realizing I was talking to "the" Ladd Gardner, I asked about his shirt. Anyhow, we had a good conversation and I of course had to bring up the fact that I had just watched his dad's video. He laughed and said he is often made fun of over that video. What a nice guy! We talked for quite awhile considering the food line was so long. He even gave me some good information into getting insurance to fly my father's Husky.
                      I know it sounds crazy, but I really enjoyed meeting the son of Lefty because I think Lefty was the type of pilot that anyone could enjoy watching and being around. He was just a duster who liked to run the pylons come September along with perform at a few airshows along the way. What an individual!
                      Sorry for the rambling.....this is my first post!

Comment

Working...
                      X