X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Dooooohhh!

Oh man I hate it when that happens!

Re: OT Dooooohhh!

What the hell? Was that caused by the gear being hung out of the floats? (I know NOTHING about float flying)

Comment

At least it was water. And darn glad they was ok. Maybe splased down a little hard and it tipped forward causing the floats to dig in?

Comment

I'm by no means an expert , but it looked like floats with retractable gear. Someone once compared landing an aircraft with floats w/ gear on terra firma as "landing a shopping cart." I also heard somewhere that insuring an aircraft with such gear-equipped floats is more expensive than normal floats or normal gear, supposedly because gear-down water landings are nearly always fatal. Just glad to see that they were ok!
        --Amy

-Tomcats and Red Mustangs Forever-

Comment

There is a Caravan that operates out of here with that type of float. It is very sketchy looking when landing.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
            What the hell? Was that caused by the gear being hung out of the floats? (I know NOTHING about float flying)
            Yup that's it. I got the chance to fly right seat in a Cessna Caravan on amphibious floats in Nigeria in 1995. That, by the way, is exactly the vehicle you want to get around Nigeria in. What a bird. Anyway... the pilot told me that's the most dangerous thing you can do is land on water with the wheels out. It always produces the results pictured here.
            Bill Garnett
            InterstellarDust
            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Interstellar Bill is right. Any, every time you land an amphib (any amphib from cub to Albatross) with the gear down, it will flip. Much better to land on the runway with the gear up, then it will just grind the keels off.

Extended GUMP check of the amphib pilot -- "This is a land landing, my wheels are down" or "This is a water landing, my wheels are up".

John, former Widgeon pilot.

Comment

I watched a Beaver DHC-2 land with wheels down it didn't go over ,the aircraft wasn't damaged also c-206 have landed with out going over . At end of season we landed our float planes on grass at the airport before changing to skies . In the spring we flew them of a trailler toed behind a truck need a good head wind as old truck had a hard time making 70 .
                Havard

Comment

Here's another for you Spitfire fans. You hear it coming for a loooong time, but keep a close eye at the bottom right of the screen as the camara man zooms out. (a little R-rated but I don't think Wayne will mind)

Comment

Or how about Air racing for bush pilots.

Comment

Skip Holm... The airline years.

Comment

Sorry... to quick on the 'click"

One I think you'll all like.

Comment

Hong Kong

Originally posted by FNG

Let me tell you...that is at the old airport in Hong Kong. I've MADE a landing like that there. It was at the same time the coolest place to fly out of, and the most terrifying. No matter what the wind conditions, day, night, or wx, there was ONE runway, and it only went one direction. You landed over the city. You took off over the water.

The approach was made at a 45 degree angle to the runway centerline. You literally flew at a huge red & white checkerboard that was carved into the side of a mountain. Then you had to yank and bank at the IP to come to a 'short final' extended centerline for the runway. All of this was accomplished at very low altitude directly over the top of the buildings in the city. The FAA would go nuts. I used to think that landing at Lindberg Field was bad the way they came over the city on final. NEVER AGAIN!

The only thing scarier than actually MAKING that approach and landing is sitting on the ramp watching someone else try to make it. Literally watching 747's bank at 45 degrees, with everything hanging out, and doing just what is shown in that video. The guy in the video, obviously, had overshot the turn a little bit--most likely because of winds.

But it was always very exhilirating to watch the ATC guys shuffle the planes in and out of there. One guy would land, and one guy would take off, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. I don't know what the separation between the takeoffs and landings were...but as a pilot, I was VERY impressed.

Sadly, that airport is closed down now. Oh, and if you try to fly the approach on Microsoft Flight Sim.....it's not even close to the thrill or view of the real thing.

Comment

Regarding the turtled amphib. A friend of mine while I was growing up had a family member do exactly the same thing with a large Cessna he had just purchased in a island cove somewhere on Puget Sound. Another relative who was there with a boat had this brillant idea that he could get it back on the floats by tying a line to one of the floats back to shore and then pulling on a line on the other float to flip the plane over. This I believe was an idea that resulted from many beers (the owner of the plane as I understand it had left to get someone to help recover the plane, the relative with the boat stayed and after many beers and decided to surprise his brother in law, the plane owner by having refloated the plane).

So they get the lines set, they fire up the boat, the boat starts to pull, the plane actually seems to be turning back over, gets about half way round and seems to get stuck, the beer filled boat driver gives the boat all the throttle the boat has and with a sudden jerk the plane is around and back in it's floats..... except now one wing is now folded down in the middle. The tide was going out and the current dept was way less than the span of the wing! Dooh! Needless to saw the Cessna went from "maybe recoverable" to a "total write off".

(Oh, and I forgot this at first so I just edited this to add the final bit of pain.)

The plane was insured and would have been covered for the landing accident but the insurance company denied any payment after the "clever" recovery attempt.

Michele

Comment

Working...
                            X