Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Critical Mass

Hi Racers,

I'm new at this forum, because I think you maybe can help me with information.

I love racers and thinking about it to build a Critical mass for myself in 1/5 scale...I searched the big internet and already ordered from Jerry Bates Sea fury plans but I need information about the changes made on the Fury.

It's no big secret anymore I suppose because he isn't in races anymore.

Are there people that can help me with my project????

Regards,
    Tom

Re: The Critical Mass

Well first off CM is a T20 two seater not a FB11 that most sea fury model kits are these days. For your project just move the cockpit back, put a square tail, and clip the wing back one rib. That should give the model an almost scale look, and still make it fly pretty good. The only other issue that I have with most sea fury r/c models is that they always make the gear too short. Try and make it as long as you can because that messes the scale of the model more than any thing.

Comment

Here's an in-the-pits shot of an engineless Critical Mass being moved, that shows the hinge line of the rudder and it's general proportions. Photo circa 2002 or 2003.
      Attached Files

Comment

Tom, Contact me at lburton7@cox.net I was the one who made design changes to "Blind Mans Bluff" which became Critical Mass after Tom Dwelle bought it. Are your plans 1/5 scale? If you want the straight info on changes, I can get you on the right track. There is a scale landing gear available. I am in process of building a 1/5 scale myself. Let me knoow if I can help you. Larry

Comment

Here's some three views done by master modeler Tachiro Yama****a. You should very well be able to modify your model from these drawings.

Michael

Comment

Hi guys,

What a great responce!!! thanks...

@ Mluvara: The drawings from Tachiro I have, scanned them and scaled them to 1/5 scale, the only thing is when you put a line in the center of the drawings the fuse isn't the same so I need to know which side is the correct one.

@ FNG: Indeed I know that it's a T20 and the drawings from Jerry Bates are FB11 but it's a start.
            Are there plans available from the T20 version?
            I want is as scale as possible, reason for this in most of the competitions F4C in Europe there are warbirds I want to put a racer in it.

@ AirDOGGe: Thanks for the picture.

@ Larry: I will send you a mail right after this.
            I'm very interested in the scale landing gear, do you have pictures of it?

Thanks and hope to find more info...

Cheers,
            Tom

Comment

Like Larry said Century Jet Models makes a true scale landing gear. They run about $400 USD and look awesome. My 1/8 scale CM is my favorite airplane in the hanger right now. That is until Luvara gats his Tsunami kits rolling again. Almost done with my 1/4 scale Precious Metal with a Brison 95cc. That may be my favorite when it's done. Should have it in the PM pit in 2006.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hey Tom the Century Jet gear is nice, but if you’re going for the high-end competition scale you should try the gear from sierra precision. These are a work of art, and from the testimonials of other scale flyers Sierra’s gear in general don’t just look good they work very well. http://www.sierragiant.com/prod12.html
                Also for all the Rare Bear fans and Bearcat fans in general, they have some 100% scale gear still in the works…. Just look under the NEWS section at the bottom of the link.
                Jason
                Jason Schillereff

Comment

FWIW - I second the Sierra Gear choice. They a much better product than the CJ gear. I have a couple of sets of CJ gear, I'd go with Sierra.

Chris

Comment

Hi guys,

Those retracts are very nice!!!
                    Received from Bill and Larry Burton information about the CM, thanks guys!!!

Those Century Jet gears are very nice, but before I can put those in the plane the CM need to be drawn again.
                    I'm working on drawings from this baby.

So when you have information about it, please do not hesitate to contact me.

To all, Merry Christmas and a Happy Racing Year

Tom

Comment

Larry,

Let's test your memory.
                      We ended up with a mold taken from the original BMB cowling. I cut the BMB logo out before we surplused them. Keep meaning to lay one up with fiberglass and paint it for the hangar wall.

Was this to build a composite cowling?

TJ Dwelle

Comment

The gist of this thread finally dawned on me... We did a series of photos for the guy who did the Xtreme Air Racing racer modeling back when that was in development..

I don't remember if we had the chance to really get down on CM but I do remember sending a bunch of photos out to the artist because I was particularly disappointed with the way the original "modeling" of the plane looked in the sim...

I might be able to find the files that I sent to him if I've not deleted them all by now. If I can find them, I'll post them up or links to the high res versions... might help you.

Off topic from the modeling theme of this thread... one of my greatest disappointments was that this simulation didn't go any further than it did. (as far as popularity) and then eventually was sold off to a "game" marketer, rather than staying in the "community".

The scenery was so accurate (as far as terrain, not so much so with plant details) than when Lyle flew it, he noticed that P4 was in the wrong place...

They had moved it since he'd last flown the course and he didn't recognize it as being where it was.. once we reminded him of that, he said.. "yes, then that would be about right"

I don't think they ever worked out the networking difficulties that it had.. I had great dreams of racing online during the off season..

Anyway... we return this topic to your control

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Hi,

@ AAFO_WSagar: All the pictures I have from CM are the one you can find on the popular websites...so the pictures you have are more then welcome!!!

I'm thinking about this plane for more then 2 years now and want to start building it when my house, that I'm building at the moment, is ready...

I don't want to make games, the 3D drawings I make are in CAD this way I can cut out the ribs easy and build the beauty.

For me it's also a tribute to the plane....like I did with MK9 Spitfire MH434.

You can mail me at tom@t-birds.be

Regards,
                          Tom

Comment

Hi guys,

I want to wish you all a Happy New Year for you and your family.

Now ofcourse a question, are there books made of the Critical mass, or promotion material, like T-shirt; polo; Caps...

Cheers,
                            Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X