Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUSTANG PASS

From the fenceline
    Last edited by FENCELINER; 08-21-2011, 09:49 AM.

Re: MUSTANG PASS

Nice one of Samurai. One of my favorite planes of all time...

I have a similar shot of Old Crow making a pass down the valley during a bronze race in '91. Not sure why, but it is the best sounding Mustang pass of all I have ever taped. Just a certain sound to those early 'Roush parts' engines.

Comment

VERY NICE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
        Nice one of Samurai. One of my favorite planes of all time...

I have a similar shot of Old Crow making a pass down the valley during a bronze race in '91. Not sure why, but it is the best sounding Mustang pass of all I have ever taped. Just a certain sound to those early 'Roush parts' engines.
        Were you on the Fenceline when Rupp went wide a couple of hundred feet inside the fence?
        Can you post your tape ?

Comment

Right now, I don't have the capacity to post the tape. Its an 8mm, and I would have to transfer it to DVD before I could upload it on here. The race I'm thinking of, though, he had missed the Friday race so was bumped down to the Bronze. He started way on the outside and high...and by the time he reached pylon 6 on the pace lap, he had passed everyone...so it was this long, gradual, diving pass. Sounded SOOOOOOOOOO sweet.

Comment

How about Tsunami in '91 when Skip flew outside the telephone poles?? I have a photo of that somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
              How about Tsunami in '91 when Skip flew outside the telephone poles?? I have a photo of that somewhere...
              Got those at home, Hoss...including all the 'oops' ones where you couldn't fit them in full frame. Want me to scan them for you and post 'em?

Comment

Yes, go for it.

Comment

Okay, I'll see what I can find of your shots from the road that look good.

Maybe that one of you and me on the Bear at about 5 in the morning....or the one of you, me, and Skip striking a pose in next to Tsunami?

Comment

How about Tsunami in '91 when Skip flew outside the telephone poles??
                    I remember that well. It was the only occasion when I got to watch the races from the inside of the course (technically speaking).

I also had a videotape I shot in 1985 when on the first lap of a race, THREE mustangs were situated side-by-side, almost wingtip to wingtip, and at least one of the planes was aligned DIRECTLY over the dirt road outside of the poles. Lotta whoops and cheers from the masses after that pass. The sound of the 3 Merlins passing overhead virtually simutaneously was breath-taking.

Was anyone else out there that day in '85 and recall it? I don't remember which aircraft or race except for the year, and that it was during a bronze or silver race. At least 2 aircraft had passed by before the "formation".

That was my first year visiting the fenceline area. I'll have to do some digging to see if I still have the tape intact.

Comment

Working...
                    X