Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sport Class 'flashback'

Hey, how's this for a picture?

I think this was taken on Tuesday of the '97 races, during the afternoon Unlimited Qualifying session. John Parker in the #300 Glassair III, Super Dave in the original Thunder Mustang 'demonstrator' (that Dale Clarke was killed in), and the Legacy BEFORE it was converted to a turbine.

All of these planes were entered in the Unlimited Class that year, though I don't believe any of them qualified fast enough to race. The following year, of course, was when RARA introduced the Sport Class--probably the best thing they've done in the last 20 years!

Of note, Miss Ashley II is visible in the upper right hand corner of the pic, out on the course for some practice.
    Attached Files

Re: Sport Class 'flashback'

Pilot Name:
    Morss, Dave
    Aircraft:
    Thunder Mustang - Race 25
    Type:
    Thunder Mustang
    Time:
    01:37.18
    Speed:
    Place:
    we actually beat several full size mustangs. we also had the chance(helped by several UL pilots ) to fly in the wakes of several planes including sea furys.
    www.davemorss.com

Comment

Originally posted by morss
      Pilot Name:
      Morss, Dave
      Aircraft:
      Type:
      Thunder Mustang
      Time:
      Speed:
      Place:
      we actually beat several full size mustangs. we also had the chance(helped by several UL pilots ) to fly in the wakes of several planes including sea furys.
      So Dave, how did you feel about the TM, versus the factory Lancair that you flew in the Sport Class for a couple years afterwards? You were able to beat Tommy Rose's TM on at least one occasion, weren't you (I think Lou Meyer was flying it)?

Can you make a comparison?

Comment

no comparison. the TM was running 60 %power and 200mph below redline. The IV was run harder than youd believe and way over red line (and mach number coming down the chute)
        dave
        www.davemorss.com

Comment

Mr. Morss, I hadn't noticed the web link in your signature before ... Very nice site ... but you may not be aware that the Movie.ZIP file is broken under the "Carbon Dreams race movie" link . . . It only appears to be half the size listed and a 'ZipFix' didn't help ...

I'm hoping you have a 'good' archive of the file you can use to replace the one that lives in your images directory, I don't think I've seen a pilot perspective video of Reno ... at least not in twenty years

Sorry for the inconvenience

sgt

Comment

your at the old website. new one is www.davemorss.com
            click on reno report for this year reno
            www.davemorss.com

Comment

Originally posted by morss
              Pilot Name:
              Morss, Dave
              Aircraft:
              Type:
              Thunder Mustang
              Time:
              Speed:
              Place:
              How did the Thunder Mustang fare in the wake of WWII aircraft? It seems to me a properly designed, stable aircraft, with high wing loading would be controllable in wake turbulence even if it weighed only 2500-3000lbs.

I'm not trying to bait you into the whole Parker-4500lbs decision, if you want you can pm me, or ask for my email.

Sergio.

Comment

I would mch prefer to be in a thunder mustang during a wake event than the yak 9. tm is stronger has lighter ailerons with a higher roll rate
                but both planes you need to stay out of bigger planes wakes.
                dave
                www.davemorss.com

Comment

Working...
                X