Question on pardues seafury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on pardues seafury

Does any one understand the cooling dump on pardues seafury. Why is it so different than any other seafury that was at reno, and is it an improvement on the other one or is it the more stock version.
    Attached Files

Re: Question on pardues seafury

My recollection is that there were two goals: 1) install an equal-length exhaust system, which required longer extension of some stacks past the stock cowl; and 2) cleaning up airflow along the side of the fuse. Pardue's fuse is cleaner from the angles you've presented.
    Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
    World Speed Record Holder

Comment

See my first inclination was that it was an improvement because it is so much cleaner. But then Pardue is known for his stock machines. But I guess any 3350 powered seafury is a modified seafury. I guess I just thought the old way(september pops) would be better for exhaust augmentation of cooling air.

Comment

Originally posted by laminar
        Does any one understand the cooling dump on pardues seafury. Why is it so different than any other seafury that was at reno, and is it an improvement on the other one or is it the more stock version.
        I'd always wondered about that, and finally found the answer on Ezell Aviation's site on their page about Fury's recent engine change and history:

Quoting the pertinent info: "A Tuned Exhaust system was also utilized in place of a more "stock" appearing setup. Since most of the accessory cowling was missing when the project was aquired, a totally new cowling was fabricated aft of the stock clam-shell engine cowlings. The panels are also easily removeable to faciliate maintenance. The exhaust was ducted into an "augmenter" styled chute. This allows the exhaust to exit the aircraft in a more efficient manner and also gives this particular aircraft a very unique sound."

So my guess would be that one of the main reasons that 'Fury' is unique and that the same thing wasn't repeated with 'Spirit of Texas' is simply because they HAD to make a new aft cowling for Fury. The exhaust piping itself doesn't look much different than that used in 'Spirit of Texas' or any of the other "super stock" Sea Furies, at least judging from cowl-off photos. But the cowl is a completely different animal.

'September Fury' ran a similar exhaust chute during its yellow primer days, but that lasted less than a week at Reno before it had to be modified with a hole-saw to increase cooling air flow. Now, that part of 'September Fury' looks similar to stock once again. Fury has what appear to be cooling-air exit holes below the exhaust chute, whereas a stock Sea Fury has a "slot" inboard of the exhaust pipes. 'September Fury' had neither, and that apparently allowed too little cooling air flow.

Another interesting Sea Fury to look at, is 'Critical Mass'- for many reasons but here because it represents yet ANOTHER approach to a Sea Fury cooling air/exhaust dump system. Different from stock, and also different from 'Fury.'

Comment

Thats awesome!

Comment

Working...
          X