Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Miss Gianna Wake Turbulence Video

Matt-
    ABSOLUTELY, should be required, we try the best we can in F1, but the pilots should take it on themselves to be comfortable in the airplane. In recent history I've watched two airplanes rolled past 90 deg. on take off roll. So proper correction without over correcting, which would have made a real mess, is critical.
    Formation practice as well really sharpens the sense of spatial awareness.

Sorry I missed you at the Warlock party, got there a little to late.

Paul

Comment

Hi Jeff:
      I showed your clip to my dad (long time pilot) and he's dying to know your approximate KIAS when the incident started, as well as how many Gs you experienced during the ordeal. Do you have any of those numbers?
      Thx in advance...
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
        Hi Jeff:
        I showed your clip to my dad (long time pilot) and he's dying to know your approximate KIAS when the incident started, as well as how many Gs you experienced during the ordeal. Do you have any of those numbers?
        Thx in advance...
        At the ends of the straights during the race I am typically indicating ~240MPH (210KIAS), although since this was the start lap I was not yet up to speed, so I would guess I was 200-210MPH (170-180KIAS). There is no G meter in the airplane, so I don't have hard numbers, but I am guessing that I saw +6G or +7G and -2G or -3G.

I have attached a photo taken during the incident where you can see the flex in the wings. I am very happy that the wings are built to +16/-12G.
        Attached Files
        Jeff Lo
        Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
        Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Comment

Thanks!
          _________
          -Matt
          Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Working...
          X