Miss Gianna Wake Turbulence Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Gianna Wake Turbulence Video

I just got a copy of a video shot shot by my buddy Bill Neely of the biplane gold final including my little wake turbulence encounter. I've cut it down to 14 seconds and attached it. It is not clear enough for me to make out exactly what happened, but it shows five seconds of flying I don't ever care to repeat again...
    Attached Files
    Jeff Lo
    Biplane race #13 "Miss Gianna"
    Biplane race #6 "Miss Dianne"

Re: Miss Gianna Wake Turbulence Video

Originally posted by FlyinLo
    I just got a copy of a video shot shot by my buddy Bill Neely of the biplane gold final including my little wake turbulence encounter. I've cut it down to 14 seconds and attached it. It is not clear enough for me to make out exactly what happened, but it shows five seconds of flying I don't ever care to repeat again...
    Holy CRAP Jeff! I don't know about the next four and a half seconds but man, that first half second... there any seat cover left or did it leave the ship with you when you got out!

Geez!

Thank god you were on top of things that morning my friend!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Comment

Too bad about the resolution of the WMV, the plane looks as if it just disappears there for a moment, I can't even imagine it's attitude during that time . . . Great recovery ... but hard won, I'm sure

sgt

Comment

Now I see what all the poeple around me were gasping and saying "Oh Sh*t!" about ... by the time I looked up from my camera you had just leveled out. Damn good flying Jeff, glad you made it out safe and sound.
          Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
          My Photos
          My Ride

Comment

For you potential race pilots, a little acro time helps..
            Damn fine job Jeff.
            What did the 'G' meter read, or does it go past and that brown smoke at the end, WAS oil, wasn't it ?

Glad you're still with us, Paul

Comment

Jeff....about the ONLY thing I can say to that is quote Johnny Kazian's old statement....."OOOOOH YEAH....GOOD FLYIN!"

I'm sure it was all just pure 'reaction'...but however you did it, you did an incredible job.

Comment

Uhhhh, it looks like you are trying to get into the Red Bull air races. Nice recovery Jeff. How did the ground taste after you landed...

Comment

Yeeeeee Haaaaaa! That's one hell of a save.
                  You'll get your chance, smart guy!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                    Jeff....about the ONLY thing I can say to that is quote Johnny Kazian's old statement....."OOOOOH YEAH....GOOD FLYIN!"

I'm sure it was all just pure 'reaction'...but however you did it, you did an incredible job.
                    Or that quote from Terry Bradshaw in Cannonball Run. "Hang onto yer lunchpail son this could get a little weird". God likes you!

Comment

Holy cats!

I'm speechless.

Comment

You scared the heck out of us when we saw that, it was my wifes first airraces and she was freaked out!

Great save!
                        Tony

Comment

GOOD GOD MAN! HOW THE HELL DID YOU GET OUT OF THAT! Nice save Jeff. I will forever hold you in the highest esteem, (either as a GREAT pilot, or the LUCKIEST pilot alive today. It doesn't matter, either way works. I was wondering if you bought a PowerBall ticket that night? ). I will make it a point to come shake your hand next September.
                          Sincerely,
                          Bill Clark aka: Air Race Addict
                          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

I didn't see this firsthand, but discussed it with Jeff shortly after the event. Of course he didn't make it sound like any big deal.

Watching this makes me again consider the contributing factors that caused RARA to place a 4500 lb. weight restriction on Unlimited racers. I'm trying not to think about what this video might have looked like if Jeff had been caught behind three Sea Furies.

Good hands, Jeff.

Comment

The more I look at this video, the more frightening it is! The first pitch down would have had some guys... Jeff, thank god you have a quick mind and well trained muscle memory!

If you're not involved with training sessions at PRS already, you damn well should be!

Whatever the "Right Stuff" is, you obviously have it!

Wayne
                              Wayne Sagar
                              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Working...
                              X