Other venues - what were they like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other venues - what were they like?

First-time poster on the forum but long-time air race fan and Reno addict. My indoctrination to Reno came in 1979 (the thrill of victory - John Crocker in Sumthin' Else and the agony of defeat - Steve Hinton in the Red Baron) and I've been hooked ever since. My attendance has been inconsistent over the years, but I'm there whenever job and family commitments can be overcome! Favorite unlimiteds, BTW, are the Buick, the Super Corsair, and White Lightnin!

I was looking through the Raceplane Tech book on Bearcats and Corsairs last night and it mentioned an air race held at Hamilton Field in 1988. I don't remember this one at all. I do remember the attempts at other venues in Denver, Kansas City, and Texas in the late 80's and early 90's and of course Phoenix in 94 and 95. I think I have an old VCR tape somewhere of an ESPN broadcast from the race in Denver.

I have fond memories of this era in terms of the new unlimiteds that arrived onto the scene and became staples during this time (Tsunami, Furias, Stiletto, Blind Man's Bluff, Dago, Strega, etc., and of course my favorites from above).

I'm sure this has been discussed in great detail on this board, but what were the driving forces at the time (late 80's and early 90's) that led to the bold attempts by many to try and make a go of it at places other than Reno? What were the unlimited fields like? Did the promoters offer significantly increased purses compared to Reno to try and attract the racers? What did the racers think of these venues and what were they like?

Appreciate anyone's thoughts who wants to reminisce. Thanks!

Re: Other venues - what were they like?

Lyle Shelton was a big player in Mohave and Hamilton I think. The Hamilton is an odd one I can't find anything on it, but I know it happened. Lyle told me once that the floating pylons made the course change just about every lap. I grew up near Alameda NAS and I always thought that would be a good place for a race. The SFO TCA would kill ya on the other hand. Minden NV might be good too.

Comment

FNG, PM me your address and I will send you some video of the Hamilton race. RG
      Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
      RIP 03/17/10

Comment

If I remember correctly, Skyfire did a video on the 1988 Air Show called "Hard Road to Hamilton". I was there for Saturday (or Sunday) and remember lots of rain, one unlimited race out on the Bay, and a great souvenier trailer where I bought a 1930 aeronautical guide to all of the airports in Nevada - kind of like a tourist road map, except for airplanes. I'll have to dig up the photos I took. I also remember being reall disappointed in how trashed the former Air Force Base was from when I was there in 1968. Its kind of like what happened to Stead when it closed down and was turned over to the City of Reno.

Comment

Great question. I was there in 1988...The show was May 7-8 and was called the Wings of Victory Air Show and Air Race. It was raining on Sat.....but I wish I had gone...instead I just stayed at my dad's place in Tracy, then drove up to Stockton to look at Aero Vintage, which had the B-17 now at Palm Springs and owned by Bob Pond in storage there. So I went on Sunday...and it was my first air race. It was a great air show as well and some cool airplanes on static display, like Art Lacey's PV-2D Harpoon, which wasn't painted yet. This was later destroyed in 1990. David Tallichet made what must now be one of the last West Coast airshow appearances of his B-17G, and we got to see that fly. I can still remember him in front of it.. collecting money for tours of his airplane. Lefty Gardner performed aerobatics, as did the dueling Wacos of Elliot Cross and Jimmy Franklin. There were two air races that day....and man, the excitement of seeing for the first time all those airplanes come over head as they headed for pylon one was something I can never forget. After years of reading about Lyle Shelton's problems with Rare Bear, here he comes winning the race flag to flag....and that was really a surprise for me. I'm pretty sure I expected Strega or Dreadnought to just blow everybody else away. No Tsunami at this event unfortunately and Strega pulled out with a problem. The venue was really cool, although I learned from the Skyfire video that there were problems with the floating pylons as part of the course was over the SF Bay. This actually was an airshow that went on from about 1987 to 1991....I can't remember the gentleman's last name but he was a B-26 veteran named Ben....he's on that SkyFirevideo, (which is sure a treat to have as a momento of the show) . I spoke to him in 1991 and he told me they were no longer able to get the field....and to look out for senator Barbara Boxer, who apparently had something to do with them not being able to put the show on anymore. Since then I've never been a fan of hers. And of course as is often the problem, the airrace was only a one time deal for financial reasons....but it sure was totally awesome!!!!!

John

Comment

It was close to home at the time so I went every year, tho 88 was the best. Lots of video taken, they had the neatest pins (I still have mine from every year). The warbird turnout was great each year and the flyby's were nice. You could get fairly close to the aircraft, kinda like Madera. The one negative I saw was the charge to get in the gate, then another charge to sit in the bleachers, and the bleachers blocked a majority of the race viewing. It was cool to see the racers coming at you on the front straight due to the layout of the course.
            My understanding was the field was to develop into industrial uses and low income (read welfare) housing, so no more airshows. I don't think it's even an airport anymore, could be wrong on that tho.
            I went to Mojave twice and to me it was the most miserable place to have an event! I was tenting and it was windy, hot, dusty and there was noplace to go! the races were good, but not worth the lack of comfort.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm from California orginally, so no excuse for me to have missed that show at Hamilton Field. Does anyone have any first-hand memories of the races in Denver, Kansas City, or Texas?

Ken

Comment

Oops, correction the show was 1987-1990....and they wanted to do it in 1991 but thanks to Senator Boxer, no show.

John

Comment

Well, I can see why you might ask that here...I can't seem to find a record of the Denver race with Google searches.

I have a vague memory of the Denver race...I think it might have been my first unlimited race...about 1989 maybe? I have a Risky Business t-shirt so they must have been there. It was at Front Range airport in Aurora. Very open, out on the prairie, though now the city has grown up all around. No grandstands, we just stood around on the ramp.

My biggest impression was of a lady Mustang pilot, who blew an engine, called mayday, and landed with the windscreen completely black with oil, the whole front of the airplane covered...I was IMPRESSED! Sorry I can't remember the name of the lady or the airplane...maybe some of the old timers here can fill in some details.

The race only happened one year because of financial troubles of the promoters, IIRC not all the racers got paid.

Wish I could do a better job of reporting...was just a new pilot then, and new to the air racing scene.

John

Comment

FYI... Actually, the "lady" Mustang pilot was Bill Rheinschild's wife, Erin Rheinschild, flying their "other" Mustang which at the time was known as Miss Fit. She would later go on to race at Reno, and in 1991, I believe, took home the Bronze Championship in the same a/c. I had the pleasure of interviewing her for Pylon1 a few years back... a great subject and a really neat lady.

SA

Comment

ennnnnnnn wrong. Denver was two years.....1990 and 1992. I went to the first in 1990. The racing wasn't too exciting but it was another fun event and party. Sharing a beer and stories with the late Rick Brickert...one of my personal heroes was totally priceless....and getting to hang out with the Strega crew too and others. This was the first time I'd actually got to know these guys after watching SkyFire and reading about them...I was there to write about the event. First time ever out at a pylon....just totally awesome....

John

Comment

Being a Denver native, I was thrilled by the prospect of the Denver Air Races and attended. I chatted with many brand-new fans who had heard of Reno, but never been able to attend, so I thought it was real step in the right direction, in terms of increased exposure.
                        Was it 1990 that a Vari-EZ/Long-EZ class was held? They raced an oval around and BEHIND the crowd, which was totally unexpected by me.

Now residing in the Phoenix area, I'm already making plans for the Tucson Air Races.

Comment

I Remember going to Hamiliton on sunday me a nd my dad walk out to this dock and ended up at home Pylon there is a story about some Nag memebers who were pylon jugdes called the Nag Navy dont know much about the story and i herd one of the Pylon floted away during quilfying all the best shawn

Comment

Working...
                          X