Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1988 Precious Metal crash

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
    I took the liberty of editing the thread and adding the date. We don't need anyone having any grief over reading this headline!

Oh Yea... Speed... you read your Press Credential signoff... right???

That same hike today would get you the lifelong scissor treatment!!

Yeah, well....things were a little different back then. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
      Grrr.... Guys who went over that fence, are the reason that there is a HIGHER fence now.....
      Umm, Wayne?
      I am thinking that that view is a little skewed. As I recall, the fence went up the year after Gary L's accident. The way it was reported everywhere was that it was an issue with the insurance Co. There aren't many motorsport venues that don't have a fence around them to keep people from running out on the track. The people over the fence was really pretty minimal in the later 80's and 90's compared to earlier years, after the Sheriff's department started patrolling the other side of the fence between races.
      I think, and this is just my humble opinion, that it was only a matter of time before the fence happened. It was nice while it lasted for taking pictures from the legal side of the road without the razor wire. I admit I was one who was over the fence a few times in my formative years, between 82 and 95, before the BIG FENCE Mk1 mod in the VOS, but I don't regret it and I don't think you can really hold anyone responsible for the fence except the insurance company. Hell, it doesn't even go all the way around. You can still wander in from the north if you feel like a hike. Not that I would recommend it
      In conclusion, we have overcome the fence with the VPmkII viewing platform. It's unobtrusive, portable, and it gets you a view over the fence and over everyone's head. Not THAT big of a deal, really. And, when they moved Pylon 6, you really can get just as nice shots if you get back a little ways from the fence and the crowd. And if you aren't taking pictures, it's just as spectacular as it's always been. It's just really not THAT big of a deal.
      Bill
      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
        [I admit I was one who was over the fence a few times in my formative years, between 82 and 95, before the BIG FENCE Mk1 mod in the VOS, but I don't regret it and I don't think you can really hold anyone responsible for the fence except the insurance company.

Yeah, Hoss....I've seen the video. I know how close Miss A was to you on that one pass. When he's low enough that the sound 'blurred' the video, I think the Dwarf was trying to send a message to you that you shouldn't be on THAT side of the fence! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          Yeah, Hoss....I've seen the video. I know how close Miss A was to you on that one pass. When he's low enough that the sound 'blurred' the video, I think the Dwarf was trying to send a message to you that you shouldn't be on THAT side of the fence! :-)
          Umm, oh yeah! How could I forget THAT! I have watched that video (transferred to VHS) so many times I have worn it out, TWICE!!! Fortunately, the neighbor across the street still has his Betamax machine and I can transfer the original to a regular VHS to continue viewing THE PASS Of course that was year 2 (83) of the current string. Won't ever get an EYE-FULL like that again.
          And to keep things in check here for Wayne's peace of mind , this was performed by what you would call "perfeshunals". Don't try this at home or at Reno. If you get caught, you WILL pay the man! Like I said, it was fun while it lasted, but it's pretty much not recommended now. It may cause ..........................
          Bill
          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Running good

Comment

fenceliner- Man, you got a thing for the Griffons, don't ya? First MAII (on another thread) and now PM! Thanks again for posting, I love the unique sound of the "mixmaster"
              Mark Johnson
              Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

For Mustang Fan
                Strega 1997

Comment

SWEET!!!!

I want more

Comment

Wow, this is great! Thanks for sharing these.

Jarrod

Comment

I'm filling up my harddrive with video's of air racers thanks to Fenceliner Keep `em coming
                      Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                      My Photos
                      My Ride

Comment

Man, you just made my day! Thanks so much for posting that clip. 1997 was my first Reno, and I will NEVER forget that first lap of the Gold final, when Tiger came past the grandstands with Strega all wound up. I had never heard a sound like that in my life, and I got hooked on the sport right at that moment.

And not to be greedy, but you wouldn't happen to have any clips of the '99 gold final, with Strega and Dago going at it, would you?

Thank you again for all of the memories. Keep 'em coming!
                        Mark Johnson
                        Strega Fan since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by MustangFan

And not to be greedy, but you wouldn't happen to have any clips of the '99 gold final, with Strega and Dago going at it, would you?

:
                          I do. I have the whole race on tape from the base of Pylon 8. P.M. me if your'e interested, Mark.

Comment

Working...
                          X