Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Biplanes & formula 1

Originally posted by raydebs
    I'm no aerodynamics expert, but I believe he did that to get the gear out of the prop's wake, making the airflow around the gear more predictable, and therefore, easier to make low-drag fairings and wheel pants. Also, having the gear go straight down means it can be 1.4x shorter than a diagonal one of the same height.
    Ray

That is really interesting. About the propwash thing I have heard that before, but if its such an issue where have all the pushers gone?

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
      So, you admit Endevour would be in front...

Paul,

In reading your suggesting a “grudge” race between IF1 Race 11 “Endevour” and Unlimited Race 2 Wildcat, I think you are under the impression that the Wildcat’s race power settings utilize full throttle. This is not true. To explain how the power settings are determined, you have to know how the race strategy is determined before we ever get to the race site. Usually in March, the race team gets together to formulate the goals for the Wildcat race team for the coming Reno. Usually this is done by consuming quantities of certain beverages so as not to have a “dry mouth” while discussing race strategy. Anybody who knows Tom, his strategy for racing at Reno sometimes differs from his fellow racers. Most of the other race teams strive to finish first, but our goal has been to finish last. So, all our race preparation is focused on meeting our race goal. This year we considered installing an ADI system on Race 2, but Tom nixed the idea as we would have had to remove the Johnny Walker Scotch storage locker and ice maker from the Wildcat. Tom says those are “mission critical systems” for the a/c and of course, he knows what the a/c needs for safe flight. With great luck and hard work, we have been able to achieve all of our race goals we have set out to accomplish. Hey, anybody can race for first place, but it is tough to be able to consistently finish in last place.

In case our race goals ever change, I am looking for a supply of operational JATO bottle’s that we can mount on the bomb racks. Just in case.

Hawkeye

Comment

Having sanded and profiled a Long EZ, I can say that Endeavor is flawless. More than just the paint quality, the profiling -- or how straight and true the surfaces are -- is close to perfection. The gear location makes sense -- it's out of the accelerated prop wash and pays virtually no intersection drag penalty.

This one, Miss Gianna and the NXTs point to a trend toward purpose-built airframes that are nearly flawless in execution.

Will there be a composite unlimited in the near future? Hmmmm.
        Attached Files
        Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
        World Speed Record Holder

Comment

I can't get over how well the cowl pieces fit together. There are almost no visible seams at all. It looks like they shrink wrapped the composites in one smooth piece around all the internals. Another thing I wonder about is the low wing design instead of the traditional mid wing. What are the thoughts on that? One thing I would like about it is the fact the pilot is not crammed in under the spar. It might be easier to bail out of if needed. Does anyone have a guess as to wing area? I know there is a 66 sq foot minimum, but this looks like it might exceed that. Or maybe it just looks like that because of the aspect ratio.

Comment

There are more detailed shots of it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
              Paul,

In reading your suggesting a “grudge” race between IF1 Race 11 “Endevour” and Unlimited Race 2 Wildcat, Anybody who knows Tom, his strategy for racing at Reno sometimes differs from his fellow racers.

Hawkeye
              Hawkeye-
              As a regular at HWD, (We've meet several times if the name doesn't ring a bell), I think I understand Tom's philosophy. The suggestion was on the order of Nemisis vs. Gee Bee 'race'. I think those things are good for generating interest/entertainment with the fans, and frankly I would love to compare speeds of a well prepared F1, on a broader coarse. People amazed at the speeds we turn are often not aware of of the constant G's being pulled.
              I think it's great Tom brings the airplane up, as well as Jerry Gabe's P51-A(bcd), I think a broad spectrum of aircraft keeps it fun. Now for a Focke Wolf a Spitfire....

Paul

Comment

Damn Peas, I was RIGHT there, sorry I missed you.

Wayne, we need hats, or something...

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                  There are more detailed shots of it here.
                  http://ar-5.com/gallery/AR-6
                  Race5-
                  66sq. feet. Keep an eye on the sight, more pictures should be coming...

Comment

Hawkeye-
                    As a regular at HWD, (We've meet several times if the name doesn't ring a bell), I think I understand Tom's philosophy. The suggestion was on the order of Nemisis vs. Gee Bee 'race'. I think those things are good for generating interest/entertainment with the fans, and frankly I would love to compare speeds of a well prepared F1, on a broader coarse. People amazed at the speeds we turn are often not aware of of the constant G's being pulled.
                    I think it's great Tom brings the airplane up, as well as Jerry Gabe's P51-A(bcd), I think a broad spectrum of aircraft keeps it fun. Now for a Focke Wolf a Spitfire....

Paul

Hi Paul, Of course I know who you are... Why else would I "share our race secrets" with you. See you next time at David's <G>

Comment

Re: Biplanes &amp; formula 1

Damn Peas, I was RIGHT there, sorry I missed you.

Wayne, we need hats, or something...
                      I was wearin' my hat! 'Smee after arrival at KOSH wearing my dermatologist-recommended hat. Sure is dorky, but it beats the knife, trust me!
                      Attached Files
                      Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                      World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                        I was wearin' my hat! 'Smee after arrival at KOSH wearing my dermatologist-recommended hat. Sure is dorky, but it beats the knife, trust me!
                        I have the same 'chick-magnet' hat, myself, although I usually remember to drag it out after the first good burn
                        We need AAFO hats, or 'gang signs' or something...

Paul

Comment

We need AAFO hats, or 'gang signs' or something...

Paul
                          I believe the official AAFO gang sign is an empty wallet in one hand and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the other.
                          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                          Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
                            I believe the official AAFO gang sign is an empty wallet in one hand and a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale in the other.

Interchangable with Fat Tire Ale.....

Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar

Interchangable with Fat Tire Ale.....

Okay, the SNPA can be substituted for any high-powered brew. The better the brew the emptier the bottle.
                              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
                              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

If you guys like Formula One, come to Nellis. We will be 500' from the crowd the way nature intended, not stuck out with the ULs like Reno. We will launch in waves with the slower airplanes first for maximum overtaking.

BillRo

Comment

Working...
                                X