Air Race Season - This Just In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Race Season - This Just In

Jeff Landers just emailed me via his cell phone... He's busy out making a living on a video shoot.. He's getting word that folks are hearing (via this site) That Tucson will replace Tuncia and that Sport and Jets are the only divisions that will race at Tucson...

Let's put the rumors to rest....

This is directly from Jeff Landers.. American Air Races Series President...

"Can you let folks know that we are not replacing tunica with tucson
    and the classes have not been confirmed as of yet. We are in
    discussions with every class. I have been contacted by every class
    including biplanes and f1..."

There you have it!

Let's go Off Season Racin !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wayne
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: Air Race Season - This Just In

If you read the other thread it's not that some people think one event is here to replace the other but that one event will cause the demise of the other. I for one am very happy to see new races planned. People will go to see, but how many teams can afford to go or are willing to travel the distance to get to the events. Will they be forced to choose where to go, those are the big questions.
    http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

He's getting word that folks are hearing (via this site) That Tucson will replace Tuncia and that Sport and Jets are the only divisions that will race at Tucson...

Probably the same folks that use to say in the early 80's that the Reno Air Races would be history by the end of the decade, then that it would die sometime during the 90's, followed by (etc. etc.)......

Comment

I see a strange trend here. Let's not try anything new it might fail. Why do so many not care about the future of this sport. I see many who would not care either way if it does die. What happened to the true racers of the sport?

Comment

I think Victor understands what I was asking on the other thread. I'm not saying don't try new venues. I simply was wondering if there is an Unlimited race in Tuscon 3 months before Tunica, will it result in the West Coast posse not coming east? Because, if those guys from west of the Rockies don't come, there is going to be a shortage of racers if last year is any indication. I'd love to go to Tuscon, Tunica, and Reno. But, life is going to get in the way of all 3. Two, maybe. I wasn't being a nay sayer. Didn't mean to come off as a bad air race fan. Just wondering about the logistics and reality.

Comment

I think guys will come to as many races as they can. They will run all three if the airplane is running, or they can afford to do it, or they can get the days off, etc.
            There were four races for Unlimiteds in 1971, some guys flew all four races.
            In '73 there were three.
            It used to be there were four or five F1 races per year, and it became a circuit that might see trailers from New York sitting in Huntington Beach, California driveways between the races. It becomes logistical and economic, but there isn't any reason why one race will hurt another. Certainly the idea that Reno is the ONLY race that counts is not accurate, and that other races shouldn't be run because it might hurt an engine before Reno is just dumb. Is someone going to ruin their chances for owning a racer because they missed out on the huge megabuck windfall from competing at Reno? Yeah, sure.

Flying across the country to eastern races is nothing new, and airplanes are easily flown, or trucked to the far away race if necessary. Not everybody lives or bases their airplane at Reno.

As many races as we can have is the only way the sport can survive, and anyone that thinks that it is not in a survival mode is living a FANTASY.

Reno is done. Yes, I know that it has been said for years, but it is over. As soon as the field is used by air carriers, the Stead venue for racing is through. Yeah, maybe it won't happen, but then maybe it will. Then what? So start supporting racing wherever it is, and tell the guys that put it on that you are there for the race, not the acro. I love acro, but there are plenty of airshows and not too many races. Show the producers you know the difference.

There is nothing better than a F1 and Biplane race at a small airport with the course set up as near to the stands as the Feds allow. It is a good race, the airplanes are "right there" and the people like the show. Sport Class is a good thing too, the airplanes are just like their buddies airplane but they really do go faster. Sure, they've HEARD of Reno, but this at their hometown. And if the Unlimiteds show up, well these people just think the Indy 500 came to town. The PR value and enthusiasm of local people is something that is undervalued usually. Through the years it has not been appreciated by the producers. Hopefully Jeff Landers knows the score and can produce a lasting circuit. Landers CAN succeed.

I am going to Tucson, possibly as a team owner if the pilot can find the funding, provided the class participates.

We all can do our part. Support the races, wherever they are.

Chris...

Comment

Chris
              What class would that be and are they invited?
              Tom

Comment

The Biplane Class, I do not know yet if they are invited.
                Chris...

Comment

Working...
                X