Will Tuscon Kill Tunica??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Tuscon Kill Tunica??

I'm wondering. Will the addition of the Tuscon races spell the end of Tunica? Hear me out. I've been reading the "When did it happen" thread. Very interesting and informative about what it takes to build and run these racers and what the rewards are, or aren't.

Tunica attracted only 9 Unlimited racers. (This is determined by the race programs and T-shirts sold at the races) I know, 1st year, need time to grow, etc... Only 6 actually showed for the races, and of these, only 4 were really even marginally competitive. Two from Florida and one from Texas failed to arrive. Weather was part, if not all of their problem. I'm not sure where Ole Yeller is based these days, but the other 5 all came from west of the Rockies. A looong way. If there is a race in March? closer to the home of most of the Unlimited racers, will anyone come to Mississippi in June? Remember, pilots and crews have other jobs and unless they are far luckier than most of us, they have limited vacation time to dedicate to races. Money, good old fashioned $$$$, will probably be the ultimate answer. Provide it, and they will come. But, time, operating costs, equipment stress, and other things will come into play, too. So, is the addition of Tuscon bad news for Tunica?

Re: Will Tuscon Kill Tunica??

Heard a rumor that just Jet & Sport Classes were being invited to Tuscon, any body confirm or deny ?

Paul

Comment

I can't confirm that, but I did see the same thing somewhere...
      http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
      http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
        Heard a rumor that just Jet & Sport Classes were being invited to Tuscon, any body confirm or deny ?

Paul
        I believe that official information regarding the classes at Tuscon will be released 11/1.
        Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
        Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

In an email I received a few days ago, it was indicated the on 1 Nov it would be announced that only Sport and Jet Class racer would be involved at Tucson.

Comment

Originally posted by georgiacub
            In an email I received a few days ago, it was indicated the on 1 Nov it would be announced that only Sport and Jet Class racer would be involved at Tucson.
            I just got an email via cellphone from Jeff Landers who is currently "making a living" on a video shoot....

I'll quote him.. . "Can you let folks know that we are not replacing tunica with tucson
            and the classes have not been confirmed as of yet. We are in
            discussions with every class. I have been contacted by every class
            including biplanes and f1..."

There you have it!

Remember Folks.. This is "silly season" .. lots of talk, lots of speculation, lots of emails..

This is the information age and sometimes, information outpaces the actual facts!

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
              I just got an email via cellphone from Jeff Landers who is currently "making a living" on a video shoot....

I'll quote him.. . "Can you let folks know that we are not replacing tunica with tucson
              and the classes have not been confirmed as of yet. We are in
              discussions with every class. I have been contacted by every class
              including biplanes and f1..."

There you have it!

Remember Folks.. This is "silly season" .. lots of talk, lots of speculation, lots of emails..

This is the information age and sometimes, information outpaces the actual facts!

Wayne
              As I said "I believe that official information regarding the classes at Tucson will be released 11/1."

I will let the officials inform us about the event. I will not say what I have read or been told because things are changing. Go Jeff go!
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

You know, it's really hard to put on a race event, having done several. Well Tricia that is. It's amazing to me how no one is happy with the guy/girl that puts everything they have to make AIR RACING go. I'm happy that there are the Reno people, Mike and all the hundreds that work to keep AIR RACING breathing. And Jeff Landers, Wow! Doing multiple events! I'm so excited that we will have not 1 , not 2, but 3 AIR RACES! Isn't that cool! Regardless of who is or is not coming to Reno, Tunnica, or Tucson, I ask you all to get behind the people who are "In the seat" of making AIR RACING move forward, and grow. So if your whining about bla bla bla coming or not, go put on an AIR RACE yourself just the way you like it. Whether invited or not, I'll support you. Until then, Get behind AIR RACING cause it's AIR RACING, and aint that COOOOOL!
                Cheers,
                Jon

Comment

Exactly! Support Air Racing not just the Red Team or the Blue Team. If you only support one team or even only one class of race plane then you are not supporting Air Racing. On Race day or week you can root for whoever you want to win but for the rest of the year show some support for all classes of Air Racing! Far too many people were complaining about things way beyond there control, We're lucky we even have the chance to whine about team X not making the race or not going faster than ever before.
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis
                    Get behind AIR RACING cause it's AIR RACING, and ain't that COOOOOL! Jon
                    ABSOLUTELY...
                    Whether its a demo race or real, Formula Vee to Jet, it's a foot in the door. No one should have their nose out of joint because they weren't invited, and they if weren't, how about offering an aircraft for display?
                    It would be awesome if Air Racing returned to half it's original glory. Kudo's to Jeff and anyone else trying to put on a race, skeptical or not, we NEED to support these guy's efforts, to keep this sport, alive.

Paul

P.S. Great to see you and Tricia again, hang in there (the gremlins will be gone soon).

Comment

More races=more exposure=more of what sponsors want. Hopefully the sponsor support will follow if the interest can be generated to get the media to pick-up on it. One race a year only gets you into one, maybe two months of media coverage in the magazines, Multiple races spread out thru the year will get the coverage year round.

Some teams like the Bear have multiple pilots. More races can give the oppertunity for each pilot to race during the year. I realize that the crews and pilots are families among each racer and between the racers, but these families might be able to be expanded to provide duplicate coverage for the multiple races.

Of course, there is still that money thing.....

Kenn
                      May all your bent wings be F2G Corsairs!

Comment

The great thing about multiple venues, is it gives some of the racers and crew's, that can't always make the distance to Reno, a chance to race. It may not always be the same aircraft, but a race is a race, and variety is the spice of life.
                        Eastern races make it easier for some of the French and English racers to come play as well.
                        They put high school football scores in newspapers, wouldn't it be GREAT if they added an Air Racing column. Let's keep the support going...

Comment

Right now we're planning on taking Southern Cross to Tunica and Reno next year. Being based in the Midwest makes Tunica attractive, as it's just that much easier to get the team in place to go racing.

Tucson would probably only work for me if I could combine the trip west with Reno (fly out, stage for two races over some time period, return). It takes a great deal of time and effort to coordinate everyone's schedule to go racing, not to mention cash. Transporting the race trailer, getting the people there, hotel rooms and meals, insurance, fuel...all so you can hopefully go racing and win enough prize money to break even (if you do well). Everyone keeps trying to draw comparisons to NASCAR, but I don't know many race car teams that the best they can hope for is to break even. At this point there's no financial incentive to air race, so it's purely a decision as to whether or not an owner/pilot wants to participate for sport. Reno is a given. I believe Tunica also makes sense for me. Beyond that I have a hard time justifying the expense/risk vs. the reward.

Steve Patterson
                          Race 71

Comment

Working...
                          X