When did it happen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did it happen?

Somethng strange has occurred and I'm wondering if anyone noticed.

A few years back I had the priveledge to work as chief engineer on a new Unlimited project. The program had enough guts and technology to blow everything else away and lacked money. Many other programs had guts, no technology and no money, and some were totally gutless itterations of old tech... and still no money.

We all had web articles, we all did interviews, we all got flamed to a crisp on these very boards. It seemed that unless is was a derivative of a warbird and used a warbird engine, it was no good. The very idea of applying the smallest amount of modern technology to the warbids was flamed by 90% of the web crawlers and pit crews.

The year is now 2005. "Merlin reliability" is an oxymoron. Threads have started and been discussed at length on engine technology, aerodynamics, etc. and the consensus seems to be that fresh ideas, non-warbird solutions, and new technolgy is ...

good?

I don't mind, the only damper on my enthusiasm is my astonishment. Here we finally have guys like 440 Magnum, Speeddeamon, Spacergirl, Rare Bear FNG, et al posting a wide variety of information and opinions that have historically been frowned upon, yet much needed, in air racing. The detractors are either silent or have moved on.

I don't know when the attitude shift happened. I don't care. If it's happened here, it will filter up. Anyone who is in the camp that modern is better than stone age, get on those teams and push it. There are the simplist things we can do and do cheap. Once one team starts going faster without spending tons of money, the avalanche will hit.

Looking forward to it...
    Eric Ahlstrom

Re: When did it happen?

come to think of it eric, you're right, 4 or 5 years ago the "opposition" was very prevalent and it was hard to get a point across, even if it was most obvious of statements.

i just hope your right that it will filter up...
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Well, Eric....I 'were' one of them.

And I guess my skepticism has been borne out. None of the projects that were so highly touted in the 'early days' of AAFO/Pylon 1 have ever materialized. I was never AGAINST any of the 'projects'....I've just always been against the policy of people who say they're going to blow everyone's doors off before metal has even been cut (Team Wang, anyone? My original 'offer' still stands, if anyone remembers it.....).

I know the Star Dart had a lot of interesting ideas and such, and quietly, I was hoping for good things. But you actually have to show up and run if you're going to make a believer out of me....and as you well know, there are a MILLION things that can sidetrack a project (like running out of money and enthusiasm).

I wouldn't call myself a nay-sayer...the Prospector was always a realist who tried to call it like I saw it.

I don't like listening to people who have 'great ideas', but never do anything with them. All talk and no action doesn't help the sport at all.

By the way, Juke....where is the Tigershark II, aka Snowball?

Comment

Eric,

It seems there are some parallels between the growing popularity, overall success, and ever increasing speeds of the Sport Class and the answer to your question. Maybe the critics are starting to actually see that smaller engines, composites, turbochargers, and newer overall technology really can go fast. These Sport Class guys really are making a pretty good argument.

Lowell

Comment

Perfect example. The sport class guys already have CDI ignitions and some trick fuel injection already. Mike Luvara needs to taem up with a machinist and do the same magic he has done with telemetry. He's only 26 years old so you know he will be around for awhile. Personally I think he is the missing link to making this happen.

Comment

"Merlin reliability" is an oxymoron.
            Here we go again... Geez man, when are you gonna learn to just keep your pie-hole shut about the Merlins. THE HISTORY OF MODERN DAY AIR RACING DOESN'T BEAR YOU OUT... GOT IT?

Like Speeddemon said, make it tangible, get it on the ramp, and let's see it run around the pylons. Then you can flap your gums until your lips fall off. Until then, the "Star Dart racer" is my vote the perfect oxymoron.

SA

Comment

I don't want to trash the 4500 lb rule that has a nickname attached to it.. but it will stifle the growth of purpose built racers that can't make the five kit limits and might have raced in the Unlimited.

If you bump the weight to that level, then you have to have a lot of engine to be competitive and you get back into the same situation we're in now with the warbirds...

I wholeheartedly think the Sport Division is a huge step in the right direction but.. the five kit hurdle is a big one!

We've now gotten a look at our first three NXT kits... How sad it would be if the Sharp's hadn't sacrificed what they had to in order to make this happen!

I bet they can give you 1000 reasons why it almost didn't, many times over..

IMHO, we need an "Unlimited Sport" division... OK, maybe for safety, a minimum and maximum empty weight rule would apply, just like NASCAR.. they "try" to keep the race cars safe with the minimum limits.. although, savvy designers build as light as possible and then stuff heavy stuff in as low as possible to make the limit.. so that formula can have safety issues.. at least for cars..

With such a group, the doors would be flung open to innovation.. .Engine makers could get behind them as well as other aviation product suppliers.. Just like they currently do with Sport Division.

Maybe kits would be born of some of the designs, maybe not.. but we'd get to see what the fertile minds out there can do. I understand there is, at least, one project out there that was aiming at the Unlimited Division that has now been put on the shelf due to the minimum weight rule...

It certainly would be one way to avert what could become a "Sport Formula" Division that had/has very heavy backing by, one kit manufacturer, where only one brand/type of airplane was raced. IMHO, that would stifle innovation like nothing else!

Thoughts?

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again
                Here we go again... Geez man, when are you gonna learn to just keep your pie-hole shut about the Merlins. THE HISTORY OF MODERN DAY AIR RACING DOESN'T BEAR YOU OUT... GOT IT?

Like Speeddemon said, make it tangible, get it on the ramp, and let's see it run around the pylons. Then you can flap your gums until your lips fall off. Until then, the "Star Dart racer" is my vote the perfect oxymoron.

SA
                Wow!!! Did you just tell someone to keep his pie-hole shut. Talk about an oxymoron.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
                  Wow!!! Did you just tell someone to keep his pie-hole shut. Talk about an oxymoron.
                  LOL.... don't make me stop this car....

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                    LOL.... don't make me stop this car....

Funny stopping the car is what this is all about. Just to put this to rest if you ever have an issue with things that happen on the highway take it up with me and not my team. Just like Dan and I did. GOT IT!!!

Sorry to go off topic but that one has been at the top of my isht list since race week.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
                      Funny stopping the car is what this is all about. Just to put this to rest if you ever have an issue with things that happen on the highway take it up with me and not my team. Just like Dan and I did. GOT IT!!!

Sorry to go off topic but that one has been at the top of my isht list since race week.
                      ?????????????

Wayne Sagar
                      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"Wow!!! Did you just tell someone to keep his pie-hole shut. Talk about an oxymoron."
                        Trust me, you don't wanna go there, finger boy (I was in the vehicle as well, BTW). Regarding his continued rehashing of the Merlin reliability issue, I believe it was perfectly warranted. We've been down that path before, and it's downright DISRESPECTFUL of him to continue to pick at open wounds. Every little snide comment is a direct attack on some very dear friends of mine, and I'm not gonna stand for it. Got that?

It's a wonder other race crew, pilots and owners stay off this and other message boards, and I fear that the "restricted" format which Wayne has recently implemented will do little to alleviate those problems. Petty comments which continue to undermine a plethora of dedicated individuals and plain hard work are not appreciated... trust me. To question is one thing... to belittle, another altogether.

And with that, I'm done. You folks can continue to live in your fantasy world of blueprint racers and brilliantly conceived ideas. I'm gonna enjoy standing in the shadow of a realio-trulio Unlimited racer, on the ramp, at Reno. Hope to see you all there.

SA

Comment

Umm... I guess something is going on here that went over the top of my head.. .

Wish you guys would have taken this PM....

Wayne Sagar
                          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

"Funny stopping the car is what this is all about. Just to put this to rest if you ever have an issue with things that happen on the highway take it up with me and not my team. Just like Dan and I did. GOT IT!!!"
                            PM me, please. You have no idea what you're talking about.

SA

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
                              Perfect example. The sport class guys already have CDI ignitions and some trick fuel injection already. Mike Luvara needs to taem up with a machinist and do the same magic he has done with telemetry. He's only 26 years old so you know he will be around for awhile. Personally I think he is the missing link to making this happen.

AHEM... 27. get it right I used to be 26. Seriously, age doesn't matter.

Innovations come from different reasons. Most are usually because of an ambition and drive. Obviously, money usually backs that.

To say that improvements are needed (like say, a variable spray bar or ADI jet) is an understatement. How many times did someone get their spray bar jet wrong and blow a motor or cool off too much because conditions changed day to day? Just seems odd that no one has done it yet. Maybe the answer is because it isn't easy....

The more and more you see the inside of things, air racing seems like a guessing game. For many, it's a weekend sport. Yes, telemetry has taken the guessing to a different level, however racing isn't a the level where finances warrant huge R&D costs.

Michael
                              Last edited by Mluvara; 10-21-2005, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X