X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class based on HP?

Hi All,
    Pardon my newbie-ness.
    Is there a bracket type air race which classes aircraft based on horse power?
    If so, could you send me in the right direction? I would like to get envolved.

Thanks,
    Ken.

Re: Class based on HP?

not really, you're allowed to make as much hp as you want pretty much, what kind of plane do you have? knowing that is what will define pretty well what class you are in.
    heh heh alriiiight

Comment

I have a 65HP bd5.

Comment

you MAY be able to get into the sport class, anyone out there know if bd-5's qualify for sport class racing?
        heh heh alriiiight

Comment

Think it needs two seats so no would be my first guess.

Michele

Comment

Pretty sure John Harmon raced a single seat Rocket this year. I went thru Rookie School a few years ago with a single seat RV3 and single seat a/c were allowed at that time. I think Kevin Eldridge of Relentless fame raced a single seat a/c a few years ago.
            Tom

Comment

Originally posted by gagesan
              I have a 65HP bd5.
              Can you go 200 mph?

from www.sportclass.com :

IV. AIRCRAFT ELIGIBILITY

A. Aircraft eligible for competition within the Sport Class shall be limited to production model kit-built aircraft, to include Long and Vari Eze models, of which 5 or more kits have been produced and delivered to customers by the manufacturer, powered by a reciprocating engine of 650 cu in. or less, and capable of a 200 MPH qualification lap speed. A kit is herein defined as consisting of wings, empenage, fuselage and all related control surfaces. Also included must be landing gear, canopy, motor mount and sufficient build instructions. The prototype may be included as one of the 5 required kits. The specifications listed herein will be the only specifications of the Sport Class. Aircraft not in compliance will be disqualified from the competition. The Sport Class Board of Directors will implement disqualification upon due consideration along with recommendation of the Technical Committee and/or the Contest Committee. Any significant airframe modifications to eligible kit built aircraft must be approved by the Pilot Standards/Committee prior to entry.

B. All aircraft must have a current FAA issued airworthiness certificate. All certification, registration and current maintenance records must accompany the aircraft and be available for inspection by the Technical Committee, the Contest Committee, the race organizers, or the FAA.

C. All aircraft must display its assigned racing number on each side of the fuselage or vertical stabilizer and on the lower surface of the right wing and the upper surface of the left wing. The number must be as close to 30 in. high as the surface and practicality permit and be of high contrast so that it is readily readable by race officials.

D. The Board of Directors will assign race numbers upon application by eligible pilots or aircraft owners and upon receipt of the annual $ 50 retention fee. Numbers will be permanently assigned to the aircraft and requests for specific numbers will be examined on a case by case basis.
              Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
              Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

Working...
              X