Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's OFFICIAL - TUCSON ARIZONA AIR RACES ANNOUNCED!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: It's OFFICIAL - TUCSON ARIZONA AIR RACES ANNOUNCED!

I would say a LOT of those answers depend on the amount of prize money offered.

But just remember, you don't HAVE to run the magnesium-doped fuel all the time, and you don't HAVE to run at 140 inches ALL the time. I'd say that even on plain-ol VP fuel, Strega or Dago would still cruise around pretty fast at 70 inches!

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
      I just hope they're not taking it too fast. Those of us who've been around the sport long enough know that the 'series' idea has been floated around a long time. Every few years, someone tries to do it again, and it fizzles. ARU, anyone (Dallas, Denver)? How about the follow-up ARL (Kansas City)?
      With all due respect...please... here we go again...whining about the past. It is 2005... and finally someone is capitalizing on treating pilots with respect and knowing how to market a series...

We should support this venture like mad...Landers has really worked hard to grow this sport ... while the "Gods of air racing", RARA have sat and done nothing. Don't get me wrong, Reno's a great event but so is the Daytona 500. Racing across the country grows the sport and grows the interest. This kind of activity can get folks who have never seen the sport interested....it's AWESOME...

And taking it too fast? Has RARA been working over the past ten years to grow the sport...no just putting up their foundation.

Comment

Well the unlimited teams are just going to have to be more tactical now. Like real racing should be. Some teams may have to hire full time crews. Not a BUNCH of weekend warriors/hobbiest who only show up race week. Don't get me wrong most of the crews have a FEW core guys, but If things keep getting better the most winning airplane will have a CREW OF RACERS. A crew that makes that airplane THERE ONLY JOB, or a big part of it at least.

Comment

Originally posted by AIRRACEFan63
          With all due respect...please...
          Likewise AIRRACEFan63. I think that if you knew Brad, you would know that he has more than just a little background in the subject. He isn't whining, but giving a short history lesson. I believe his real attitude is more like guarded optimism. In fact we are already working on finding a way to be there since we couldn't make Tunica. We have seen these come and go over the years, and maybe, just maybe, Jeff Landers has the magic bullet. I am positive that we all sincerely hope for success, and will support it as best we can. And, with any luck, Mr Landers has a background in History and is following the adage that "those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it". Maybe he has done his homework, learned the lessons of past attempts, and can make it happen.
          here we go again...whining about the past. It is 2005... and finally someone is capitalizing on treating pilots with respect and knowing how to market a series...

We should support this venture like mad...Landers has really worked hard to grow this sport ... while the "Gods of air racing", RARA have sat and done nothing. Don't get me wrong, Reno's a great event but so is the Daytona 500. Racing across the country grows the sport and grows the interest. This kind of activity can get folks who have never seen the sport interested....it's AWESOME...
          No question about it. But...... see above.
          And taking it too fast? Has RARA been working over the past ten years to grow the sport...no just putting up their foundation.
          Point taken and agreed. Try the last 40 years or so?
          Sincerely,
          Bill (aka: Air Race Addict)
          Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
            Well the unlimited teams are just going to have to be more tactical now. Like real racing should be. Some teams may have to hire full time crews. Not a BUNCH of weekend warriors/hobbiest who only show up race week. Don't get me wrong most of the crews have a FEW core guys, but If things keep getting better the most winning airplane will have a CREW OF RACERS. A crew that makes that airplane THERE ONLY JOB, or a big part of it at least.
            But it will require lots of $$$$ that many teams don't have.

Jarrod

Comment

Originally posted by jarrodeu
              But it will require lots of $$$$ that many teams don't have.

Jarrod
              Yep this is going to be interesting. Mr. Brown's team is in the lead as far as THAT goes. The guys that are true racers will STILL do it for very little cash. One thing that might change is that this will make it a bit easier to get sponsors. With sponsors teams could pay at least the Crew Chief IMO.

Comment

Geez People......

We get someone who is doin' one heck of a job (even on a severe uphill battle)
                and we hear all this bellyaching and fuss.

What difference what classes run ?

.........Yes to see "bleeding edge Unlimiteds really go at it would be nice...
                ......I have found close racing much more fun...(at any speed).....

.......as I understand it ..
                .right now this is another race,not a championship series...
                .......yes some tactics for economics and logistics will have to be used...
                ...........(in any class)......

Yes right now I haven't been able to make even Reno for several years....
                ....but that does not preclude another venue.....

If it is in front of the public they will come.....(better numbers with time)...

Off soap box now
                Mayday51
                Jim Gallagher

Comment

Tucson strikes me as a great place to hold an air race. I hope it goes well.

One thing I've always thought would improve air racing is to increase the
                  purse. If a pilot, owner, and team could get 1 Mil. for a win wouldn't that
                  do the trick!? More folks would bring race planes because of the big
                  purses, and more fans would get excited about seeing the million buck
                  airplanes race. Then more sponsors would get on board too.

I realize we probably just don't have the fan base in air racing for that yet.
                  Maybe someday!

Comment

DAMN!!! Reno, Tunica, Tucson, PRS... Aviation Nation at Nellis Which do I go to Looking like the first three will win out
                    Wishing Jeff Landers all the best on this new venture
                    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                    My Photos
                    My Ride

Comment

Race Fans,
                      Don't shoot the messenger.
                      I did a little hanger flying today with a F1 and an Unlimited racer and neither one of them (or their classes) are aware of the Tucson Air Races.
                      Further checking the runway data for Ryan Field we found that the widest runway is only 75 feet. That compares to 150 feet for both Reno Stead and Tunica. That might be a bit narrow for the unlimiteds/jets to SAFELY operate out of. I hope this happens but It doesn't appear much thought has been given to the logistics. I know a sport class racer and winner lurkes on this list, perhaps he can give some insight from his perspective
                      Tom
                      Northern California

Comment

Great News!!!

I've lived and worked in Tucson since '76...

What can I do to help??????????
                        Sky Critter

Comment

The runway situation was one of the first things that I looked at. I wasn't too impressed with what I saw. I would prefer a minimun of 6,000' X 100'.

I'm keeping an open mind as far as participating in the race. I've not heard anything from the Sports Class organization.

Lynn Farnsworth
                          Miss Karen II
                          Race #44

Comment

Dash,

You said, "typically land on roads, including gravel roads that are hardly wider than their landing gear."

If you want to land your airplane on a dirt road, feel free. I can assure you that I will be the one to decide what constitutes an adequate runway for my airplane.

Dirt roads, cow pastures, two lane roads, or anything along those lines will not satisfy my personal operational requirements for my airplane.

What others chose to use for their minimum requirements is up to them.

You said "If you can't land something safely on something twice your wingspan what can you land on?"

That is easy. The more margin a person has for error, the safer the operation; especially under emergency conditions. Long, wide runways are better than short, narrow runways!!!!!!!!!

Your statement that since cropdusters "typically land on roads, including gravel roads that are hardly wider than their landing gear", implying that anyone that would want something better than that is a pussy, is one of the more irresponsibly statements I have heard around air racing circles.

I hope you aren't involved in anyway with Landers in his air racing efforts, because if I thought anyone with your approach to the safety of the race airplanes and pilots was involved, the answer to the question, are you going to race in the races organized by Landers?, the answer would be; not only NO, but HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Has anyone heard any news about the race in Oklahoma City in June'06.
                              Just wondering as it is closer to home for me.

Comment

In May of this year there was an IF1 race held in OKC... I think I remeber hearing that it would be back for next year (2006) too. The IF1 website doesn't have any info on events after this years Reno so, just keep an eye out.
                                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                                My Photos
                                My Ride

Comment

Working...
                                X