Stock warbird class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock warbird class

You know all this talk about Dago getting converted back to stock has sparked an idea. Why not have a stock warbird class for the stock mustangs, bearcats, and whatnot(no Furies because most are 3350 powered). Write the rules so that modifications for safty are allowed, but for the most part be stock engine and airframe. I know it's called the bronze class now, but for marketing reasons make a whole new class out of it. I think more warbird owners would come and make a larger field. Make it just as a big deal as winning the unlimited gold. Instead of bronze, silver, gold. Stock, Supermodified(airfame mods ok but stock engine) and gold (run what ya brung). This might put a new spin on things. Ok let the flaming begin!!!

Re: Stock warbird class

No flaming.

They tried that back at Phoenix in '95. They had a Jug, a Spit, and a few other things that were all grouped together. But it was a snooze. More like a fly-by at a warbird show.

Comment

Sounds like Reno 2005. Just a thought.

Comment

I think it would be a snooze. Now replacing AT-6 or jets with a 3350 Seafury class is an idea I'd support!

Michele

Comment

T-6's

Oh yeah, those darn T-6's had some of the most boring racing at Reno 2005- NOT!
          Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
          RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Re: T-6's

Originally posted by RandyGoss75
            Ya know I watched you guys more than any other race. Hey Randy Matt just called and the Navy doesn't want him so he is coming home. Serious!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
              Matt just called and the Navy doesn't want him so he is coming home. Serious!!!

They don't WANT him?

Comment

Gotta agree Randy, seeing those darn Texans wing tip to wing tip, lap after lap after those scarily close starts is really a yawner...

NOT!!!!

Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

And they are too Loud!!!

BTW - Did you find me a T-6 yet?

Comment

.....How about a "consi" race.......

open to any warbirds who show.....(with PRS training)
                    (grouped based on type)(you don't wanaa be in a Yak 9 following an A26)

OR:

Retro Race.......
                    Former racers !....(or close recreations)...
                    no prize moneys...(or prize money by fan vote (donation))

.....I think a single heat wouldn't eat too much time,
                    would give the "boys" a chance to show their birds and have a moment of fun.

quite a few fans just might like to see 'em fly, (even if it was a parade...)
                    Mayday51
                    Jim Gallagher

Comment

Sorry to offend the T-6 fans. I don't know why but I have never enjoyed the T-6 races and none of my friends do either. Can't explain it. But you have to agree replacing jets would be a good thing!

Michele

Comment

Though I enjoyed the Spitfires and P-47 at Phoenix I knew there wasn't much in the way of serious racing with them. I'd much rather have the same in photo pass warbird fly bys scheduled in. Each year pay some expenses to bring in category types. Maybe Allison-engined fighters one year, Navy Cats, Avengers, Skyraiders, and Dauntlesses another, and British iron and wood vs. axis fighters on another. Or say host a sidelight Thunderbolt reunion, or P-38 gathering and require fly bys each day as part of the deal. Have some formation flybys, and some high performance dives and passes. Do a flour bombing contest with the torpedo bombers. Any of the above replacing the much too much F/A-18 demo noise or the L-39 race whisper would suit me fine. In fact one year of no jets at all in the program, piston engines only would be great. Then the next year fudge a little, and say Korean War vintage jets only allowed.

As far as the stock class, it seems too difficult to draw the lines. Some great planes and pilots you'd want, would be unable to fit in wherever the rules were set.

Other thoughts... I didn't get much out of seeing the Wildcat racing this year. By himself anyway. If two or three Wildcat owners agree to do PRS and come and "grudge" race at the back of the Bronze field then you might have something fun. Same with P-40s, or any other 270-320 mph racer.

I'd still like to see a BIG Purse 1930's Cleveland era racers event. Replicas and rebuilds. At least once, on an anniversary year of some air racing milestone (Reno's 50th if it makes it that far or ???) with several years possibly of anticipation and preparation. Tunica are you listening? Maybe 2009 in memory of the last pre-war Thompson Trophy race or?

Lowell
                        Keep mine Piston

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl
                          I think it would be a snooze. Now replacing AT-6 or jets with a 3350 Seafury class is an idea I'd support!

Michele
                          Wasn't that what the Gold class was this year, more or less?!

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
                            You know all this talk about Dago getting converted back to stock has sparked an idea. Why not have a stock warbird class for the stock mustangs, bearcats, and whatnot(no Furies because most are 3350 powered). Write the rules so that modifications for safty are allowed, but for the most part be stock engine and airframe. I know it's called the bronze class now, but for marketing reasons make a whole new class out of it. I think more warbird owners would come and make a larger field. Make it just as a big deal as winning the unlimited gold. Instead of bronze, silver, gold. Stock, Supermodified(airfame mods ok but stock engine) and gold (run what ya brung). This might put a new spin on things. Ok let the flaming begin!!!
                            That's pretty much what the Bronze class is already, isn't it!?

Comment

I agree with Lowell, for those of us hanging around the pits all week a few photo passes would be great. The racers all line up for starts, how about putting some of them together for a couple photo passes?
                              No pixels were harmed, honest.

http://www.ignomini.com
                              http://www.pbase.com/ignomini

Comment

Working...
                              X