Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dago Red To Be Sold

Originally posted by John
    Wish the racing version of Stiletto was still around.
    Me too. I thought that racer really had potential to be the fastest around. Matt Jackson did a great job flying her and reported temperatures were not a problem with the boil off system.

She was up for sale for auction with $330,000 minimum at one point as a racer. No offers!

Hence the conversion to stock. She went for a lot more as a TF. Hard to blame people for wanting to make some bucks and for wanting to share the experience (conversion to TF), but bad news for air racing.
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
      Hard to blame people for wanting to make some bucks and for wanting to share the experience (conversion to TF), but bad news for air racing.

Au contraire.....I think considering who owned it, who's decision it was to convert it, the reason behind it, and the reputation of said owner/pilot amongst the racing & warbird fraternity, its quite EASY to blame.

I wonder if War Dog still has her infamous "Butterknife-TPMFKAS" shirt around anywhere. Cindy? You out there? Would you be willing to sell it to me??? :-)

Comment

Hey, I saw a Stiletto shirt one year(86 or 88) that a dude was wearing.
        Basically, it was yellow, and the stiletto depicted on it had flame paint
        job. Pretty cool looking! Anyone know what that was?

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          I wonder if War Dog still has her infamous "Butterknife-TPMFKAS" shirt around anywhere. Cindy? You out there? Would you be willing to sell it to me??? :-)
          Hey, one year(86 or 88) I saw a dude wearing a shirt with a depiction of Stiletto with flame paint. Pretty cool! Anyone know what that was?

Comment

Are those wing tips in the second and third pics still in existence?

Would be neat to put those on LARS for Reno 2006.
            Stiletto today
            P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

It was my understanding that Stiletto was never a mustang to start with.
              That she was built strictly from spare parts.
              Does anyone have a better angle on this?

Comment

Originally posted by BadIdea
                It was my understanding that Stiletto was never a mustang to start with.
                That she was built strictly from spare parts.
                Does anyone have a better angle on this?
                According to the "Warbirds Directory":

"Rebuilt using fuselage of IDFAF 69 & wing of IDFAF 28."

Comment

Originally posted by Dash
                  I looked at the pic on the link that Fenceliner had posted and it looks like it has a taller H model tail on it to me. Anybody know why this is?
                  That's the NACA/Cavalier tail, which is different than the H tail. The thought with the taller tail is that it provides more stability with the TF, which has slightly interrupted airflow over the top of the empennage when compared to the stock Mustang canopy.

Pilots I've spoken to disagree as to how much the tail really does. Some say they notice a big difference and other say there's no difference.

Who knows why the people that rebuilt Stiletto as a TF chose to do that...perhaps it was just because other TFs have it.

Comment

Well, those of you concerned about Dago Red being bought by Red Bull and flying forever into the sunset can breath once again. I understand the Red Bull folks have made a decision and are no longer interested in the red racer. This may be good or bad news depending on how you look at this. The corporate exposure would have been a huge shot in the arm for the races had they purchased the racer and campaigned her. Now we will just have to see how this latest chapter plays out. I do know this; there are a couple of strategies being worked for the red racer. It should be interesting. More interesting to me is the decision by Terry to sell the racer since he was in discussions with an engine builder just prior to Reno to have a race motor built up for another run. Interesting how things change quickly in this sport. This is better than daytime drama.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
                      Well, those of you concerned about Dago Red being bought by Red Bull and flying forever into the sunset can breath once again. I understand the Red Bull folks have made a decision and are no longer interested in the red racer. This may be good or bad news depending on how you look at this. The corporate exposure would have been a huge shot in the arm for the races had they purchased the racer and campaigned her. Now we will just have to see how this latest chapter plays out. I do know this; there are a couple of strategies being worked for the red racer. It should be interesting. More interesting to me is the decision by Terry to sell the racer since he was in discussions with an engine builder just prior to Reno to have a race motor built up for another run. Interesting how things change quickly in this sport. This is better than daytime drama.

Dave
                      I take it by Terry going after another engine builder that Doc is done for good with building race motors?

Comment

Thorne has closed up shop and all the folks that worked there are spread across the four winds. The number of engine shops is dwindling and for the survival of the warbird community more have to be established. Those left will find their hands full keeping up with the demand. Especially those with the racing know how.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
                          Interesting how things change quickly in this sport. This is better than daytime drama. Dave
                          Probably talked to his accountant, (spoil sports that they are)...

Comment

Terry Bland (or a direct contact,

How about some words of wisdom on theese happenings ?
                            Mayday51
                            Jim Gallagher

Comment

Hey P/L marketing guys

How many cans of Rbull does it take to buy said racer.... assemble a new team...... crank in a new test ..... whatever and be at reno in 2006?

ZOOM

Comment

Hey, one year(86 or 88) I saw a dude wearing a shirt with a depiction of Stiletto with flame paint. Pretty cool! Anyone know what that was?
                                That was the shirt that Dave Z sold to raise money for the project while it was under construction. There was a yellow version and a white version. I have one of the white ones.

Preston decided he didn't want the flame job, though....

Comment

Working...
                                X