Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dago Red To Be Sold

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
    Seemed to work with Stiletto, which had even more significant mods under the skin than Dago.
    Did someone return Stiletto to stock?
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

"You can bet that this is the end of Dago Red as a racer. These airplanes are too expensive. It'll end up a stocker because of it's bargain price and good spares. The thing will end up another "Bodney Blue Nose" for sure."
      Why on Earth would someone buy Dago with the intention of returning it to stock? There are plenty of very nice stock Mustangs out there for sale which would require nothing more than a paint job to accomodate any buyer looking for a stocker. And what would that person want with a race trailer and Mouse motor to boot? Considering the enormous amount of $$$$ it would take to return Dago to stock, and the fact that a stocker could be had for less than Terry Bland's asking price for the whole Dago package, I'm afraid that just makes no sense... to me anyway.

SA

Comment

Stilleto was returned to stock (I believe it's now a TF-51) several years ago. I forget the name on it now, but the work was done at Square One

Comment

So was somethin' else and a few others. I don't get it either. Like to see someone try that with the Rare Bear (ducking flying wrenches) oppps sorry did I go to far. I vote for MB to buy her... Come on dude... you already have her crew. It would make the little german happy!!! I think it is stupid to convert back to stock. Most of them have more history as a racer than they ever did in combat. These people are doing more to erase the history of aviation, but hey what's history I this age of money, money, money. When DG gave up his bearcat to the NASM he got a stocker in return. That seemed to work out for everyone. Personally I would like to go to D.C. some day and see Dago, The Bear, and Conquest One all lined up in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
            Did someone return Stiletto to stock?

P-51 Mustang Survivors: Survivor Home. World War II, North American P-51A, P-51B, P-51C, P-51D, P-51H, F-51D, F-51H Mustang survivor in civilian ownership

Comment

Originally posted by Chris McMillin
              BTW, somewhere along the way Wayne said this would be a tragic loss, however I don't think many people cared when "The Most Horrible Racer Loss" was perpetrated by Kermit Weeks turning Paul Mantz's 1948 Bendix Trophy Winner into a red tail stocker. "The horror...the horror...".
              Chris...
              I don't know...I was pretty pissed about that. I would have rather he kept it in the red scheme. Or better yet, restored it in the Houstonian/Latin American scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                Seemed to work with Stiletto, which had even more significant mods under the skin than Dago.
                Yeah...what is it with racers being morphed into TF's? First Stiletto, then Sumthin' Else.

I'm telling you....it just aint right.

Comment

who is ccfrost? Where have I herd that name?

Comment

"Stilleto was returned to stock (I believe it's now a TF-51) several years ago. I forget the name on it now, but the work was done at Square One"
                    Well, sorta. There is actually very little Stiletto in that TF they built up a few years ago. The data plate was the biggest and most recognizable addition. IIRC, the wings, landing gear, clamshells, etc., were sent to the scrap heap, and only the rebuilt fuse and empennage were used on the TF. I'm sure Matt Jackson could provide valuable insight here.

But the point is, whomever had the TF built from the remains of Stiletto also had access to all the pieces and parts necessary to complete the project, and I'm certain at something of a reasonable cost. Purchasing Dago for $1.5 mil and then spending another pile of dough to purchase all the parts necessary for conversion back to stock makes no sense. Add to that the cost of having someone do all that work, and you'd be the first ever sucker to own a $2,000,000+ Mustang. Congratulations!

SA

Comment

I too would like to see Dago in a museum, with Bear and some others. The museum should be in Reno in a hangar like setting with photos and race paraphenalia.

Part of the museum display and attraction would be the crews working on the planes getting them setup for the real display in the fall. All exhibits would be closed in early or mid-September because the museum would move to it's outdoor venue at Stead with the exhibits live and fast and noisy, doing what they do best.

They sure as hell shouldn't be in the Smithsonian where they will never fly again.

Comment

Red Bull buying Dago and running her as the BIG sponsor Gold racer that she would be is very fine with me. That could only help the sport and the exposure. The P-38 could be their team's Bronze racer and... maybe they could buy Czech Mate as a Silver/Gold racer too. (Need a radial in there somewhere.)

Second choice would be a Tom Cruise or John Travolta type buyer. Both have thought about it I'm sure. Their agents would likely never allow it, however.

Speaking of Stiletto. I've always hoped her wings and other goodies would resurface on a race Mustang someday, but it has been said by good sources for sometime that they were sadly scrapped. Race #84 went pretty cheap when she sold. Even by early 90's standards.

Comment

Originally posted by wardog
                          Stilleto was returned to stock (I believe it's now a TF-51) several years ago. I forget the name on it now, but the work was done at Square One
                          It's Bob Jepson's "Diamondback"...I think you can find photos of it at the Stallion 51 website.

Comment

You all are stabbing me in the side talking about Stiletto's wings etc. being scrapped as she was my all time favorite modified P-51 racer.
                            Reno 1986 was my first look at her in person, and there was definite excitement that year as Skip Holm promised during the pre-gold-race tarmac interviews that they were ready and Stiletto would win! Skipper did not disappoint and took the Color Tile sponsorted white racer to the lead(on the first lap) from third pole position. Wow! was that exciting! Something happened about half way through the gold final, and Stiletto started pumping out oil, You could see it on the belly, and even a novice like me could predict that the end was near. Boy was it fun while it lasted!! The (Dreaded) Dreadnought went on to win that year.

Comment

how about risky dago or red attitude

Comment

Originally posted by John
                                Reno 1986 was my first look at her in person, and there was definite excitement that year as Skip Holm promised during the pre-gold-race tarmac interviews that they were ready and Stiletto would win! Skipper did not disappoint and took the Color Tile sponsorted white racer to the lead(on the first lap) from third pole position. Wow! was that exciting! Something happened about half way through the gold final, and Stiletto started pumping out oil, You could see it on the belly, and even a novice like me could predict that the end was near. Boy was it fun while it lasted!!
                                John, I have some really cool pictures from the VOS during that race and some good video, (complete with my stupid comments I will see if I can dig them out and put them up here. (Since I can't seem to get the time or the computer away from my daughters to add anything to my site right now I will do my best though.
                                Bill (airraceaddict.com)
                                Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Working...
                                X