Dago Red To Be Sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dago Red To Be Sold

Mike Brown already has the crewcheif, now he needs the bird. Even if he puts someone else in it and continues to fly 232 himself.

Comment

Mike Brown had his chance two years ago and had the check book out, but Mike wanted to race the aircraft at Reno that year and Bland stipulated the racer would change hands AFTER Reno at which point Mike closed the check book and concentrated on beefing up Fury. I dont think that the check book is going to be opened again for the red racer, but Mike is one of those impulsive buyers. Who would have ever thought he was in the market for a Tigercat. It sure surprised the folks at Lonestar Museum and for some it was not a popular nod.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by paintboy
        Mike Brown had his chance two years ago and had the check book out, but Mike wanted to race the aircraft at Reno that year and Bland stipulated the racer would change hands AFTER Reno at which point Mike closed the check book and concentrated on beefing up Fury. I dont think that the check book is going to be opened again for the red racer, but Mike is one of those impulsive buyers. Who would have ever thought he was in the market for a Tigercat. It sure surprised the folks at Lonestar Museum and for some it was not a popular nod.

Dave
        One thing is for sure, if winning Reno gold is on one's list, and that person
        has the $$ like Mike Brown, I'm sure Dago would be real tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
          Why would Tiger buy her back when he has one (potentially) just as fast in the barn?
          Well.....(in my best Monty Python voice)...."He could mate the two togtha" to make one FAST P-82-like racer!

Watch out SANI-HUT!!!!!!

"And now for something completely different!"

WARPT

Comment

Well it's on Ebay now, start bidding.

Comment

Originally posted by John
              One thing is for sure, if winning Reno gold is on one's list, and that person
              has the $$ like Mike Brown, I'm sure Dago would be real tempting.
              No worries, 232 will be very potent!
              Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
              World Speed Record Holder

Comment

...The line that states 'will sell worldwide only' seems a bit odd, but also a bit scary. If it is on e-bay it will go to the highest bidder, regardless of their intentions for the airframe, and location.

You think Red Bull, or anybody else outside of the U.S. would be willing to plop down 1.5 mil on a a very notable chunk of air racing history? I hope not.

Comment

I'm getting worried about dagos future.....

Comment

There is someone bidding out of Switzerland.

He is the high bidder at this time.

Comment

You can bet that this is the end of Dago Red as a racer. These airplanes are too expensive. It'll end up a stocker because of it's bargain price and good spares. The thing will end up another "Bodney Blue Nose" for sure.
                      BTW, somewhere along the way Wayne said this would be a tragic loss, however I don't think many people cared when "The Most Horrible Racer Loss" was perpetrated by Kermit Weeks turning Paul Mantz's 1948 Bendix Trophy Winner into a red tail stocker. "The horror...the horror...".
                      Chris...

Comment

How much of Dago would have to be changed to be anywhere near "stock"? It seems like that 1.5 mill buy in price could go WAY up in a hurry just figuring in labor cost to undo all the race mods. Just undoing the airfoil mods and canopy stuff is a major undertaking. I will say that IMHO I had rather see her returned all the way to stock, than to end up like Voodoo with all the race mods and a stock canopy. That would be like teasing us everytime she turned up somewhere. I have a bad feeling about this whole deal..........

Comment

Originally posted by King
                          There is someone bidding out of Switzerland.

He is the high bidder at this time.
                          Nordic Red has a odd sound to it don't it

Comment

I am pretty sure the bidder from Switzerland is the Red Bull folks, but I could be wrong. The Red Bull company is very heavy into motorsports. They recently acquired a second F1 team for the next season and I can not think of a better platform from which they could enter the fastest of all motorsports. If it is Red Bull they have the finances to properly maintain and prepare the racer. But where to get a race team and crew chief? We will have to see how this one plays out and hope that who ever buys the racer keeps her as a racer. At least for now. Isn't there a white knight who can ride in and save this damsel in distress? Where is Shrek???????????????

Dave

Comment

I don't think a buyer whould pay much for Dago with intentions of returning her to stock. I think a crash could be a better start for a stocker & there is always a flyable stocker on the market for less than it would take to ruin ,I mean restore Dago.

Honestly

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                                Just undoing the airfoil mods and canopy stuff is a major undertaking. I will say that IMHO I had rather see her returned all the way to stock, than to end up like Voodoo with all the race mods and a stock canopy. (
                                Seemed to work with Stiletto, which had even more significant mods under the skin than Dago.

Comment

Working...
                                X