Red Bull Air race webcast on Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Bull Air race webcast on Saturday

Check out the webcast on Saturday.. But untill the race, check out the video section...some great stuff......

Wish I could stay home and watch it.....
    Randy Rheinschild
    www.Unlimitedair.com

Re: Red Bull Air race webcast on Saturday

RJ,
    That is so coooooolll!!! Thanks!!!

Race 29
    Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

I'm extremely "torn" about Red Bull Air Racing.. For a couple of reasons..

One, "our" air racing guys duke it out for WELL over a quarter of a century and never really get the attention they deserve. Red Bull comes along with "their" idea and suddenly, THIS is air racing..

Second.. A few years ago, a fellow I'll not mention's name, he's a client, I do web work for him.. He had me sign a "non-disclosure" and then proceeded to tell me ALL about an idea he'd hatched where air show performers would race around inflated pylons with sponsor names emblazoned on them.. He went quite into detail as to what his plans were..

Then I heard nothing about it for a few years until last year.. Red Bull Air Racing is born..

I called one day and asked him.. "gee.. you sold your idea to Red Bull.. congratulations!"

"naa.. I pitched it to them about a year ago and they were not interested"

"but.. but... I just saw it on the net, they ARE interested and they ARE doing it"

"yea, I know"...

Well, for his own reasons, he did not pursue any "litigation" for his "borrowed" idea but it always sort of galled me that a big company would do this and I've drank anything BUT Red Bull ever since..

Anyway, it was and is a good idea, I didn't get to see it last year at Reno so I can't speak to the excitement level in person, I've seen vids and it looks pretty hot as far as crowd satisfaction goes..

That's my story and I'm stickin to it..!

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Red Bull is dirty man, dirty. I've always known. I want our P38 back.
        _________
        -Matt
        Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

In my personal opinion I did not think it was very exciting. Of course thats after seeing real air racing.
          Jarrod

Comment

At Reno, I did not get to see much of the RBAR. I like the idea even though to me, it is not really a race. I'm glad that it has grown along with the interest in aviation/air racing. I could not possibly care any less about any energy drink. I'm baffled that this company has the disposable monies to spend on aviation the way they do. I'm glad that they have made an international presence with aviation and support thier efforts to keep them flying. I do not want White Lightnin' leaving the US or restored as anything other than Race 13. But I prefer it flying than in a hangar rotting in pieces (not a knock against the money raising efforts, to which I donated).

In my mind, Red Bull Air Racing has proven that air racing is a marketable and popular sport/event. Which, with more marketing friendly tactics, translates into our air racing being a more marketable and popular event.

We live in an age where information can be transmitted instantly. Why are race results up on AAFO long before they are at airrace.org? Why is there no POST-air race video available on the net? Why does ANN not have any info about the 2005 Reno Air Races? Why is Reno nothing more that a 100 word side-note in most of the AvMags? Why has the future apparition of rocket races received more press than real, live, documented, tangible, air racing, which faster, historic and (as I see it) much more spectator friendly?

It seems the framework is there, Red Bull has provided (at their expense) a marketing model, all we need is for the organizers to move forward, release some of the strangle-hold and bring air racing into the 21st century. Give new ideas a chance and get the word out about air racing. Over 40 years of competition and people are just now discovering it?

So how about we have an air race in Tunica, Las Vegas, Mojave, New Mexico, and then a final in Reno. We need one thing to make this happen... SUPPORT. Support from the fans, support from the teams, support from the sponsors, and support from the organizers.

Yeah, I know, I'm dreaming.
            Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
            Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Comment

I heard that in a couple of days there is another race about to be announced by the same guy that founded Tunica. He's got another two cities wanting to host races as well. I also heard that the RARA guys are not happy about it. To them it is about their race. If they were interested in the growth of air racing then you'd see real time results on their website. They don't want that because then you may sit at home in your lounger and not be a ticket buyer. How hard would it be to have the races on ESPN even as a mention.

The night after the race in Tuncia the results were posted right after the race on the web as well the race results were announced on ESPN News along with SPEEDweek on SPEED channel. It is a shame they can't get together...I guess RARA's EGO is just to large to admit they could learn something from someone passionate about growing the sport.

Has anyone heard of this next venue?

Comment

My 2 cents...
                RBAR (should be RBTAR "Red Bull Timed Air Race") 'works' for the following reasons..

Spectator friendly: Confined to an Airshow 'Box'
                Pilot Skill/Balls: More about 'Flying' than the Plane ( A RBAR plane can be bought for around 250k ready to 'race')
                Danger Factor: 6' away from every pylon every racer
                Insurer Friendly: Performed in Airshow 'Box' ,more locations possible.
                Sponsor Friendly: Close performance means readable ad space.
                International Appeal: They've marketed the pilots nationality to attract that homeland spirit.

[[ Author's note: Regarding pilot skill and danger. I am relating these items to what the general public sees a "Daring/skillfull". Aviators and followers know that ALL of these guys have no equal when it comes to cahones..]]

Like comparing a NASCAR Talledega super-speedway race to a World Rally Championship Event. Yes, they are both auto races. No, they are not 'alike'.

Aviation nuts, like myself, will always flock to an event like Reno. How do you get "the Masses" to go??

I'd rather go to 1 event a year, attended by like-minded aviation folk, than numerous events attended by "The herd" that are there for the beer, the corn nuts and bleacher fights over Radial v. Inline...

RBAR is usually a 'Part' of the Airshow.

at RENO the airshow is an intermission to THE EVENT.

Enjoy the races...keep yankin and bankin'.

B.

Comment

I think the last few posts have made for some brilliant discussion and "food for thought".

I wonder why the RBTAR didn't come back to Reno this year (nevermind that I used them for time to go to the porta-potties). I wonder if RARA felt challenged by the bullish, aggressive positioning of this event.
                  It looks like RARA is not motivated to grow the sport; that is pretty clear. Let's talk for just a second about exposure: RARA is the entity responsible for generating exposure for the event... exposure would bring sponsors to the teams, and the teams NEED sponsors to put on a good race. Ever notice how hard it is for a Reno racer to keep a sponsor? IMO, that means RARA is letting the racers down.

I also wonder if there are some *reasons* for the things you guys pointed out... could RARA have stepped on enough toes politically over the years that the magazines (and ANN, and the like) have no interest in helping to promote the Reno? I say keep an eye on the Landers and the Tunica efforts... if anyone can turn RARA on their ear and do it nicely, he can, and he appears to be on a roll. Also, did you ever wonder why nobody at RARA seems to participate in this (or other) forum? Are there no members of that organization young enough to get online?

A note on Red Bull- any of you who are involved with "earthbound" motorsports are also aware that R.B. has recently penetrated into Formula 1 auto racing... they bought the old Ford/Jaguar team and actually improved its performance in the first year. FYI, if you think Reno racing is expensive, keep in mind that the budget for a respectable F1 season will run no less than $250 Million. That's not a typo. So THAT should give you some real insight to the disposable cash R.B. is generating. BTW, ask any doctor what that stuff does to you!
                  _________
                  -Matt
                  Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

I'd have to agree that some of the smaller circulation publications I get do not have good things to say about their Reno experiences. Maybe they expect too much, maybe it's that bad, I cannot speak from experience.
                    I did notice this year that there was very little advertising on the local level compared to other events here. Hot August Nights and the rodeo's always get the press, But this year the volleyball and bowling championships (no reflection on them) got much more advertising and coverage by RGJ and the local news. Most local non-fans I know had no idea when they were, but could tell you who won the rib cook off.
                    The balloon races got a lot of advertising and coverage, but were more or less cancelled by weather.
                    It just seems like a lost oppurtunity to me. And now that their board member is involved in this rocket racing, I wonder where it is all going.
                    Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                    thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

I'm very confused by the marketing done by RARA, my marketing experience comes from the ski industry, and that it's all about demographics. That's where Red Bull is after a young market, is it that RARA isn't interested in the demographics that Red Bull markets to?

I wish I had listened to a conversation in the EAA booth about why RARA didn't bring the RBAR back this year . . .

sgt

Comment

I just have to add, Red Bull Air Racing has nothing short of phenomenal web presence, have you seen redbullcopilot.com ?!?!?

sgt

Comment

I heard that the Red Bull guys wanted to go back and the RARA guys wanted to double their fee. Even though it may have not been a great event it was a huge blunder for them to not have those guys back.

You are right about momentum with Landers. He's got a vision and he's not backing down one bit. I know he's been called by several sponsors and a bunch of cities wanting to add racing as an event.

He was awesome in Reno, I had this in a lost thread but a school kid there asked him if he was a pilot there refering to his Tunica Shirt. He said no, didn't even mention his races and gave the kids, (a group of about 25 kids and a few fans) a quick history on Reno, when it was over he thanked them for coming to the event and supporting the races in Reno. You'd think he was working for RARA but he was just supporting the races.

That's what's going to grow the sport even at Reno is young fans. A new fan base so the sport does not go the way of granny's Buick.

Red Bull should look at what Landers is doing...maybe there is a future here.

Comment

Better check the facts. How much do you think Red Bull PAID RARA to be included in their show?

Interesting that some of the bigger air show acts no longer are paid to perform, that they have sponsors that PAY the venue to include the act.

Don't know how many people are aware of this, but it is fact. U-S

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                              I did notice this year that there was very little advertising on the local level compared to other events here. Hot August Nights and the rodeo's always get the press, But this year the volleyball and bowling championships (no reflection on them) got much more advertising and coverage by RGJ and the local news.
                              I'm glad you brought up the Reno Gazette Journal. Did anyone else besides Leo notice how lousy the coverage was in the RGJ? Granted, we have websites to go to for most of our info, but the RGJ used to regularly print the daily schedules and all of the times from the previous day's races. This year it was "people at the races" articles, a tiny summary and go to www.airrace.org for anything else. Note to the RGH, not everyone visiting town is plugged in. What happened to Phil Barber?

The races are a huge local event every year and you'd think the RGJ (and the local news for that matter) could do a better job. They've had 40+ years to get it right. I also saw a travel piece on TV about Reno and they mentioned everything (Hot August Nights, the Balloon Races, Camel Races, etc) except the air races.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X