Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lost Threads - Matt Loses It! - Goss Gets Some!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost Threads - Matt Loses It! - Goss Gets Some!

Oh.. did I mislead or something??

I have more (many more my young friend Matt, but I'm saving them for historic posterity value ) (or, perhaps, blackmail at a later time in your life!!! muaahhaahhh!!!)

That said... here's a couple o' shots from the Wednesday "Harecut" session for Matt AKA "Elbarto"... our resident board regular, now in Uncle Sam's hands, who promised a harecut in the pits at Reno 2005... I had some others up prior to the database...er... I'd like to call it a "meltdown" but it wasn't.. the server did exactly what I told it to do... it DELETED the damn website!

A word you never want to hear spoken in the depths of an office where a guy has the keyboard tied realtime active to a server in a remote location..

P-A-N-I-C!!!!!

What.. me worry???
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Re: The Lost Threads - Matt Loses It! - Goss Gets Some!

Wayne,

I don't suppose there was a previos backup you could load up in another partition so you could copy over the missing stuff is there. Not a big deal really. You have pleanty of space for new images now.

The only stuff I'm sad about loosing was the discussions between various crews and pilots about race details and mechanical stuff. There was a nice exchange between Matt Jackson and his nearest competator discussing that one race and some nice stuff from Sparrow and others about engines and mods.

There is probably also some stuff that people would just as soon not restore. Every time I walk through my garage I see something that makes me ask, why did I save this?

I say we just chock it up to mother nature.
    Bill Garnett
    InterstellarDust
    Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Originally posted by Bill@Interstell
      Wayne,

I don't suppose there was a previos backup you could load up in another partition so you could copy over the missing stuff is there. Not a big deal really. You have pleanty of space for new images now.
      No, actually not.. the backup that I *did* have I was the reason that there was not enough room for the one I was trying to do.. The program that runs the backups exports it to another FTP server that I share space with for backups (his to mine, mine to his) but unknown to me, it also leaves a copy of the backup on my server.. We're not talking about a little file here, it's a backup of the ENTIRE server, including the OTHER server's backup..

Anyway, that file was the one that made me not have enough room and once I found it, I was able to restore the site to the point I got to with it. Now, I'd have sworn that I backed up more recently than March but time has done a funny thing to me these days...

Gonna try to do it weekly now, at least of the database, which is not so big to be a real problem doing..

As I mentioned somewhere, I do have email backups of a lot of the posts and I can (when I get time) dig in and repost that info that's worth saving..

Unfortunate turn to be sure!

Wayne
      Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Bad luck. That's the part of this business that gets no glorry and besides, its just no fun either. A shorter list of stuff to back up would probably help you in the future, but as for spending a lot of time manually recovering stuff, I'd opt for strees reduction if I were you and just let it go. Maybe we can ask Matt and Sparrow some pointed questions in the future and get even better good dirt.
        Bill Garnett
        InterstellarDust
        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Working...
        X