Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Georgia Mae?

Originally posted by Smee Again
    I would have sworn it was a picture of the other race #69, Jeannie, on that big banner in back of the grandstands this year. I thought I remember seeing a turtledeck on that racer, which Georgia May never had, IIRC. Am I mistaken?

SA
    Yeah your right that was a pic of #69 Jeannie.

Comment

Originally posted by FNG
      Yeah your right that was a pic of #69 Jeannie.
      Woops my bad.

FENCELINER and AIR RACE ADDICT:
      Thanks a million for going to the trouble to post those great pictures of G.M.
      _________
      -Matt
      Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
        Woops my bad.

Always happy to be of assistance Matt.
        Bill (aka: Air Race Addict)
        Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
          Woops my bad.

This help ?

Comment

Originally posted by FENCELINER
            This help ?
            OFF TOPIC! OFF TOPIC! Just kidding. You do know that's currently LARS, right? I never did get more than one decent picture of her as Specter. But thanks for sharing.
            Bill
            Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Oldie files

Comment

Originally posted by FENCELINER
                Oldie files

MMMMMM....I just LOVE that canopy on a polished racer!

Come to think of it, all three racers that have run with it were polished.

Mickey Rupp 'borrowed' it to try out on Samurai, but he didn't like it. Too bad. THAT would have been mean looking!

Comment

If I remember right, no one liked it veryt well. Optically it was a POS.

Comment

Originally posted by Race5
                    If I remember right, no one liked it veryt well. Optically it was a POS.
                    Agreed. I've glanced through it myself, and there is a LOT of distortion.

What amazed me even more was that Whittington could fit UNDER it. Rhino's not that big. Neither was Putman. But sheesh, Don is my size and I have a hard time fitting under a REGULAR canopy.

Comment

Just looking through the race database at the RARA site. Georgia Mae sure put up some nice speeds (430+) back in the day. Anyone know to what extent it was modified, race engine, etc.? It sure was a racy looking Mustang. We could use a few more of those in this day and age of the "attack of the Sea Furys"

Comment

It had clipped wings and a low-profile scoop (which ended up on MAII), as well as the 'little' canopy for a couple years. It eventually went back to a regular size canopy. Also ran a Zeuschel race Merlin that was pretty 'state of the art' for the day (of course, that was also about the time the original "Mouse" came out, which rendered Z's stuff a generation behind overnight).

Comment

Thanks speeddemon for the info - good stuff. I've been searching the race database and reliving some memories from past Reno's in the 1980's, and I remember really liking the Mustangs of that era, Georgia Mae, Sumthin Else Stiletto, etc. I think I have a Zeuschel engine T-shirt in a box somewhere, maybe I have to dig it out and wear it at Reno 2007

Comment

"Jeannie Too" was one of the ex-Australian "atomic mustangs".
                            Remember the artwork on the gear door, the kangaroo punching the zero's?
                            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
                            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                              "Jeannie Too" was one of the ex-Australian "atomic mustangs".
                              Remember the artwork on the gear door, the kangaroo punching the zero's?
                              Yeah, the Brothers W restored that plane for Gary in 1980/81. It had the trademark Whittington red leather interior. Gary called it "Kangaroo"...hence the artwork on the gear door...but I also seem to vaguely recall something about that name being an 'inside joke' about a girl Gary was dating at the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X