Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spirit of TX

Originally posted by speeddemon
    Not to mention scantily clad stewardesses, right Bill? :-)
    I know nothing, nooothhhing! heh, heh
    Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Originally posted by Air Race Addict
      I know nothing, nooothhhing! heh, heh

Dood....I have pictures.

Comment

Dood....I have pictures.
        Bet mine are better than yours The question is, do you have video?

Comment

Bet mine are better than yours The question is, do you have video?

D'oh!

Comment

If I stayed out there it would surely be different! Always thought if I camped at the races for the week, the fenceline would be the best. Watching the races from the comfort of my trailer, and missing nothing. But since I don't camp anymore ( It seems silly to tow the trailer 2 mile from home to stay for a week) I visit the end of the court out there, can see camps in the distance. There are some unique views out there, and we usually go every afternoon.
            And I love going out there, but without any comforts it can get boring between races, and I DO go for the other classes besides the unlimiteds.
            Next year I nedd to visit your camp and say hi, live the experience.
            Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
            airplanenutleo@gmail.com
            thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
              But since I don't camp anymore ( It seems silly to tow the trailer 2 miles from home to stay for a week:
              Well Leo, I guess I would have to agree with that philosophy
              Originally posted by Leo
              And I love going out there, but without any comforts it can get boring between races, and I DO go for the other classes besides the unlimiteds.:
              Hey, we have shade, and a few chairs, and margaritas, etc. What else is there?
              Originally posted by Leo
              Next year I need to visit your camp and say hi, live the experience.
              And you will be welcome to spend an afternoon out there with us. It's nice to meet new people and put faces to names. Plus, everyone out there has one major common interest. (Wonder what that is? HAH!)

Comment

I'll look forward to it!
                airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Plus, everyone out there has one major common interest. (Wonder what that is? HAH!)

Chicks!

Comment

Your priorities are warped Speed...
                    airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Airplanes, hydroplanes, chicks....what's warped about that?

Comment

Nothing, now that you got them in the right order!
                        (at least during race week)
                        airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Interesting. I've always found shooting the Bronze race from 8 'early' in the day, and Silver/Gold from 2 in the late afternoon, gives you good lighting....as long as its a clear day.

Guess I just assumed that it was from 8 (because of the angle coming at the camera), and because of how the plane was lit. My mistake. Didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing.

Then again...shooting from pylon 5 seems to be the best lighting I've had yet! Ain't that right, Wingman?
                          I want my old spot back on the front straight near the guide pylon between 3 and 4. That right where the roads cross making a big Z on the hill. 8 across at 500 mph coming down the chute and directly overhead was spectacular! Since that is the high terrain on the course, they were damn low too. What a rush!!!!!! It makes your hair stand on end.

I remember seeing Lefty chase some guys off the top of their camper one year. He would come around pylon 3 and buzz a different group each lap. These guys were standing on their camper waving their arms and he spotted them. "Hey, he's comin' right at us." more waving... "He's comin' right at us." more waving... "Sxxt! He's comin' right at us!!" They literally dove off the camper into the sagebrush.

That was the same year Lefty took the top off a Juniper tree about 100 yards further up the course. The next day there was a guy hanging off the broken branch.

Unfortunately RARA started hiring Lloyds of London to insure the event in 87 or 88. They started pushing us further up the hill and by 89 we were booted out completly.

I'd sign a disclaimer. Perhaps if we band together they would consider letting us set up a photo position out there? Probably not.

I do remember seeing a couple of guys out there who were in full camo including face paint who were sneaking down past the sheriff onto the course itself, but I never see the point. Anytime planes got more than one wide they were over us anyway. At the start you had about half the field outside of you. Maybe I could try that, but talk about no amenities...
                          Bill Garnett
                          InterstellarDust
                          Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

? This must be the AADHD thread ?
                            http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                            http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                              ? This must be the AADHD thread ?

OH, LOOK! A CHICKEN!

Wanna ride bikes?

Comment

Not to mention scantily clad stewardesses, right Bill? :-)

I find myself looking for that "this thread is worthless without pictures" emoticon again...

Comment

Working...
                                X