Clear All

• Jets? Yes? No? Anyone?...

http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
    http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Re: Jets? Yes? No? Anyone?...

YES!

_________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
      Here's a couple that aren't too bad. I think the rest are on film.
      I'm just a tad disappointed that Matt didn't visit us at the Air Race Addict Basecamp. You couldn't miss it with the sign and all.
      Bill
      Attached Files
      Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

In my humble opinion A-4 Skyhawk would have the most potential in that class.
        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
          In my humble opinion A-4 Skyhawk would have the most potential in that class.
          Sure...if we could only find a dozen or so....

Comment

Boring, waste of good air time the other racing classes could use.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tin Man
              Boring, waste of good air time the other racing classes could use.

Tom
              Disagree. I think of the Jet class as being like the T6 class, but at 440mph. Evenly matched, often bunched TIGHTLY together (except JP running away this year), makes for some excitement, IMO.
              The sight of a tightly-bunched pack of L39s coming at you at 440mph in deafening silence isn't THAT boring, is it?
              _________
              -Matt

Comment

I vote "YES" on keeping the jet races.

The gaps between races this year (no airshow acts) could have been filled with a T-28 class, especially with the additional day of heat races added on.

Don

Comment

I would like to see a Turboprop class added to the mix.
                  http://www.pbase.com/marauder61
                  http://www.cafepress.com/aaphotography

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Archer
                    I would like to see a Turboprop class added to the mix.
                    Sounds like a good idea to me. I have a feeling the Lancair IVP would win in a walk.

Don

Comment

I'm sure that someone here saw that first improptu jet "race" they had after the unlimited gold a few years back. That was a bad ass jet race. The Stolli Migs in full afterburner all the way around the course. They were arcing so far out beyond the fence line that you may as well have been inside the course. Right overhead with flames shooting out the back, I couldn't wait for the next year. The next year was a bunch of L39's. Needless to say, BIG let down. However, I still like them. But I like any racing. I would rather see them than another show performer any day.

Nick-Reno

Comment

Originally posted by hattend
                        Sounds like a good idea to me. I have a feeling the Lancair IVP would win in a walk.

Don
                        I love the idea also, but I say a Turbo Legend would walk the 4-P.
                        _________
                        -Matt

Comment

I would like to see diffrent jets like the first race, but hell planes are planes are planes, and the worst plane race is better than no plane race!
                          Tony

Comment

I'd like to see them kill the L-39 races. This year was the worst ever. It wasn't a race, it was a parade. Bring back the Migs like the first demo or maybe F-86s like they raced in several other locations and you'd have something. The current jet races are just lame. Or if you want to make the L-39s interesting, give up on the "they are all the same" concept and make them "anything goes" L-39 racing and maybe there would be something interesting to watch!

Michele

Comment

Originally posted by spacegrrrl
                              I'd like to see them kill the L-39 races. This year was the worst ever. It wasn't a race, it was a parade. Bring back the Migs like the first demo or maybe F-86s like they raced in several other locations and you'd have something. The current jet races are just lame. Or if you want to make the L-39s interesting, give up on the "they are all the same" concept and make them "anything goes" L-39 racing and maybe there would be something interesting to watch!

Michele
                              The first jet "race" was something similar to what the Unlimiteds do down at Aviation Nation at Nellis. You take the lead this lap, I pass you on the next lap, etc.

If you start mixing jets how will you ensure those with afterburners won't run away from the rest? Are you going to let sonic capable jets into the mix? Will that privately owned F-100 win every race and boom the crowd? (which would be cool as long as my ears don't bleed!)

I think the L-39 jet class was always kind of created to be a jet T-6 race. Everything is equal except for the pilot and the polish. But like most of the T-6 races, there are always 2 or 3 real contenders and the rest are followers.

I don't see how having a mix of different jets would improve on the current "parade". The Mig-17 will always beat the -15, the F-100 will beat the F-86, and they all will beat the L-39.

Keep the jets as they are, add a propjet class and the T-28s were the closest racing that Reno has had in years...add them in as well.

That's my 2 cents... Make me Mike Houghton for a month and it shall come to pass.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X