Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sorry for Miss Ashley link

Originally posted by Apteryx
    History teaches, let's not forget the teachers.

Paul......................Mike you listening?
    I keep thinking of what Tom Hanks said about building a memorial for our WWII veterans... "It is time we said Thank You."

Anyways, I pictured maybe a miniature version of a structure like the Write Bros commemorative at Kitty Hawk... I know Stead is an active airport year-round, but I thought it'd be appropriate to locate it on the course somewhere, like maybe Turn 1 or the home pylon. Since those locations are likely unacceptable due to FAA regulations, perhaps a location on the edge of Hoover's Gulch could be found?
    _________
    -Matt
    Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

When Howie Keefe owned Miss America he had a memorial under the cowling for pilots that were lost i thought that was cool Shawn
      That was a very cool tribute Shawn. I remember standing there reading the names and getting chills. A lot were people that would'nt be known by those not following racing and warbirds, but the memory jog was incredible.
      Maybe some kind of "To those that went before us" plaque or wall somewhere where all could see.
      Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
      airplanenutleo@gmail.com
      thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
        That was a very cool tribute Shawn. I remember standing there reading the names and getting chills. A lot were people that would'nt be known by those not following racing and warbirds, but the memory jog was incredible.
        Maybe some kind of "To those that went before us" plaque or wall somewhere where all could see.
        Originally, it was a memorial to the three T-6 pilots that were lost at Cape May in '71, because remember, Howie also raced a T-6 back then. As others passed (it wasn't just 'any' race pilot, it was usually Howie's 'friend'), they were added. I think by the time the plane was sold to the Smythe family in 1982 there were 7 or 8 names on it...but certainly not ALL the race pilots who had passed since then. And I think (at the end, at least) the legend said "You have flown yet higher than I dare...save an angel for me when I get there"

Comment

I know at Chino they wanted to make a memorial for John Crocker . Shawn

Comment

The right gear door of Race #44 "Sparky", has the names of air race people who have passed on.

This year at Reno we used the wheel chocks from the late John Crocker's Race 6, "Sumthin Else" for Race 2, Wildcat. A couple of us used to crew for John and it was inspiring to us that many people remembered and made nice comments to us about the use of the chocks. Every Reno is a rememberence of our friends who have left us and they will be in our thoughts forever.

Wayne, Race 6 "Sumthin Else", Race 2 "Maniyak", Race 27 "Miss Trinidad", Race 2 "Wildcat". Race 27 "Section Eight".

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye
              Every Reno is a rememberence of our friends who have left us and they will be in our thoughts forever.
              I'm very tempted to break part of this thread out into one called Air Race Memorial or something like that..

Wayne, (the above one) I can't agree more.. and HOPE that's the way they would want it!

I was very uncomfortable about GL's loss for a few years after the accident in '99 until out at Home Pylon on one of Ron Buccarelli's first outings with Precious Metal after Bill Rogers had given him permission to use Gary's old number on her.. I remember there was some discontent with the use of a "retired" number but standing out there at the pylon as Ron flew over, PM made the same whine coming and growl going away on a lap where Ron flew right over my head... I believe I actually FELT Gary's spirit in that airplane and it felt damn good!

I just felt a huge outflow of good feeling and the darndest sense of Gary's last big smile that I remember as I have it on a picture I took of him shortly before he left us..

The guys that race are special beings, they have extremely strong spirits or they would not do what they do in the first place. I believe they live on in that spirit and each time you look at Home Pylon, think of them sitting on top of it with BIG SMILES and you'll feel good...

To me, Home Pylon IS that memorial and, perhaps, where any "official" memorial should be erected if any ever is...

I suspect that RARA would be receptive to a group donation of some sort to finance something like this. Perhaps a moment of silence each year could be observed as we all remember them...

Wayne
              Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                I suspect that RARA would be receptive...Wayne
                (At the VERY least, they should put up an "In Rememberance" section, on there web site).

A memorial should be accessable to the general public.
                A simple wall would suffice, engraved plaques donated at cost, by the throphy makers, (they've done all right, over the years...)

Any other ways, different race classes have done memorials ?

Paul

Comment

I had a friend die a few years back that was a result of an Air Tanker losing it's wings during a drop near Walker CA. A memorial was done a year later with a rock with a plaque on it.

I think anything is better than nothing. RARA gets portions of money from DMV when Nevadans buy the Air Race license plate. Why can't a portion of ticket money or pit passes be put towards a memorial. You can't tell me they don't make any money off of pit passes. I know they got me for a hundred bucks and I spent more money once inside the pits on a bunch of stuff.

Hey Wayne, just a suggestion, maybe a new link should be started about this topic. I know when I read "Sorry for Miss Ashley link" I wouldn't open it because I thought it was about Mr. Levitz. Today is the first time I have opened it since I saw the pics of the air craft way back when.

WRL

Comment

Originally posted by Wilnit
                    I know when I read "Sorry for Miss Ashley link" I wouldn't open it because I thought it was about Mr. Levitz. Today is the first time I have opened it since I saw the pics of the air craft way back when.
                    WRL
                    Blame me for this this drift, I'd mentioned a memorial a while back, and it went know where.
                    I always thought it was shameful, not to honor those who have given their lives, trying to entertain us, and I figured I'd stick this into a 'hot' topic. It's always bugged me to mention someone who has passed, and get "who?" as a response. WE owe it to them to keep their memories alive, if we have to do it our selves.
                    We could even make it mobile, in an old (donated) office trailer. Something, to say your passing has not gone un-noticed, and THANK YOU.

Paul

Comment

Darn it, I meant to post something in another post. Sorry, Wayne can you help...

WRL
                      Last edited by Wilnit; 10-06-2005, 05:18 PM. Reason: Posted in wrong post

Comment

Working...
                      X