The hearbreaker photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The hearbreaker photos

Man you have trouble with the sani huts ..........I cant get away from that dam exxon truck,
    even thou the shots were bad the times were good
    www.renosection3.com

Comment

In all the years I've been going to Reno, this is the one picture I wish I could have a second chance at:

Dan Martin in Ridge Runner #7, just as he is taking the start of the Saturday Silver Race in 1982. I had the shutter speed down low to try to 'spin' the prop, and instead I got 'blur'. Normally this wasn't an issue, but in retrospect, all I can think is that the "POW" that proceeded this shot by about .05 of a second 'startled' me and made me move the camera.

If you look close, you can see the initial 'puff' of black smoke just past the home pylon.
      Attached Files

Comment

Focus Focus Center Center

Comment

Does anyone know what mods were done on the last RED TSUNAMI appearance.

To me it looks as if the landinggeardoors have been redone to retract fully ?

Anything else besides Scimitar prop ?

Here is a link to guy who has been a round in airshown in Europe.

See his airshow picture library for more pics like this.

http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
            Does anyone know what mods were done on the last RED TSUNAMI appearance.

To me it looks as if the landinggeardoors have been redone to retract fully ?

Anything else besides Scimitar prop ?

They were working on the electronic ignition for the engine, and they had redone the flaps....which turned out to be the undoing of the plane.

Comment

gg - I got a similar shot - looks like the Sani-huts had gotten full...(just kidding).

Comment

Originally posted by speeddemon
                They were working on the electronic ignition for the engine, and they had redone the flaps....which turned out to be the undoing of the plane.
                I see. Do you know why they repainted it ? I kinda liked the original paintjob on her.

I heard the problem may have been a cause of something that happened to Tsunami earlier on her racing career; a mishap when a landinggear collapsed. Is this true ?

Comment

Juke: some people wondered if the gear-collapse at Wendover in '89 (speed record attempt) might have done some hidden damage to the flap mechanism or weakened it. But AFAIK this was only speculation.
                  _________
                  -Matt
                  Red Bull has no earthly idea what "air racing" is.

Comment

Originally posted by MRussell
                    Juke: some people wondered if the gear-collapse at Wendover in '89 (speed record attempt) might have done some hidden damage to the flap mechanism or weakened it. But AFAIK this was only speculation.
                    Originally, Tsunami had 'lower' flaps, like on a P-40 or T-6. But in '91 they put on 'whole' flaps from a Yak-11....so the entire system was new. The ONLY reason that Jack was killed, and the ONLY reason that he got into a 'split-flap' configuration was that he significantly exceeded the safe speed for lowering the flaps. By lowering them at a speed above the design limit, he broke something inside the linkage. A 'split-flap' situation IS survivable...just not at the speed and altitude that Jack was at at the time. As I recall, Skip did all the flight testing on the new system, and specifically warned Jack about the flap speed when he flew it.

I liked Jack Sandberg, and he certainly made some monumental contributions to a sport that is very near and dear to my heart. But in the immortal words of Jimmy Stewart in "Flight of the Phoenix".....PILOT ERROR.

Comment

Originally, Tsunami had 'lower' flaps, like on a P-40 or T-6. But in '91 they put on 'whole' flaps from a Yak-11....so the entire system was new. The ONLY reason that Jack was killed, and the ONLY reason that he got into a 'split-flap' configuration was that he significantly exceeded the safe speed for lowering the flaps. By lowering them at a speed above the design limit, he broke something inside the linkage. A 'split-flap' situation IS survivable...just not at the speed and altitude that Jack was at at the time. As I recall, Skip did all the flight testing on the new system, and specifically warned Jack about the flap speed when he flew it.

I liked Jack Sandberg, and he certainly made some monumental contributions to a sport that is very near and dear to my heart. But in the immortal words of Jimmy Stewart in "Flight of the Phoenix".....PILOT ERROR.

'Whole flaps'??? The Yak-11 incorporates split flaps, just like a P-40 and T-6.

Comment

By lowering them at a speed above the design limit, he broke something inside the linkage.
                        Exactly what came to my mind. There are great forces involved.

Comment

Working...
                        X