Thoughts and reflections...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts and reflections...

Okay, it's been a whole week since the Unlimited Gold Final, and now that I've had time to put together some post-Reno thoughts, here are a few of my reflections on this year's air races:

1) Congrats once again to Team Rare Bear on their second consecutive win. They overcame any and all obsticles necessary to stay out front in the heat races and the Gold Final. Look forward to seeing you next year.

2) 237+ mph for Miss Gianna, the top biplane qualifier! WHOA! I remember just a few short years ago Patti Johnson blowing away the competition running in the 212+ mph range.

3) Anybody else think Darryl Greenamyer's got pretty close to 400 mph in that Lancair if he's ever seriously challenged? BIG TIME kudos to John Parker for keeping him honest in the Thunder, but without the help of turbo or supercharging, catching Greenamyer's gonna be a tall order.

4) Stewart Dawson continues to amaze me. Now sporting arguably the best looking Unlimited racer on the ramp, Spirit of Texas seems to increase it's speed by 5-10 mph every year while continuing to fly "under the radar" on everyone's list of fast-movers. I remember him winning the Bronze Final his rookie year back in 1997 at something around 390 mph, and now he routinely runs in the 430-435 mph range without benefit of a super tricked-out R-3350. This guy's a racer through and through.

5) Jimmy Leeward comes to Reno strictly for the fun of it, but does anyone else think seeing him in a top-notch contender in 2006 is gonna be a whole lotta fun? That guy can flat-out fly.

6) David Hoover's new F-1 racer is a sight to behold. When leaving the field heading to dinner on Monday evening, that beauty sitting in front of the RARA hangar stopped us right in our tracks. VERY cool!

7) What would the races be without Al Goss and his Warlock T-6? SUPER kind and generous folks, a kick-ass party every year, and one hell of an air racer. Look forward to seeing the Dilda/Goss showdown again next year!

8) Most unlikely sight at Reno 2005: Dwight Thorn disciple and Merlin guru Mike Wilton wearing a "Round Engines Rule" T-shirt. Geez, what's next? President Bush announcing his support for Hilary Clinton in 2008?

9) If every warbird owner/pilot sat down and talked to Conch Fury pilot Fred Cabanas for just 10 minutes, there would be 50 Unlimiteds on the ramp next year. The enthusiasm he and his crew showed all week was absolutely infectious. Sincerely hope to see them return in 2006.

10) Damn, do we EVER need more fast Mustangs next year!

11) Speaking of fast Mustangs, great to see Merlin's Magic return for 2005 in a most unlikley scenario. Their long-standing streak of attending every Reno since 1988 remains intact, and look for them to return considerably faster in 2006. Soooooo good to see all those folks again, and look forward to seeing them next year.

That's about all I can think of offhand, but I'm sure to think of more later. Anybody else care to add their thoughts to the list?

SA

Re: Thoughts and reflections...

The weather man, the weather... after last year anything short of a blizzard would have been nice but we got the BEST the high desert had to offer.

And you ain't lying about David Hoover's Arnold AR-6, that is one sweet airplane... wonder if Victor got a shot of it coming `round the pylons?
    Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
    My Photos
    My Ride

Comment

That's a great list. I'd add:

1. Dan Martin and RRIII (the whole team). Enough said.

2. Kevin Eldredge is most definitely "Relentless!"

3. Snowbirds. My favorite ever since I first saw them (also at Reno).

Comment

Excellent list, Mike. I'd add:

1. Dan Martin, RRIII and Team RRIII. Enough said.
        2. Kevin Eldredge is most definitely "Relentless!"
        3. The Snowbirds. They've been my favorite ever since I first
        saw them (also at Reno).

Comment

Don't forget Steve Patterson and his duel with Matt 'Action' Jackson!

Sure wish the thread with the dialogue between Steve & Matt recounting the heat was still available!

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Osif
            Don't forget Steve Patterson and his duel with Matt 'Action' Jackson!

Sure wish the thread with the dialogue between Steve & Matt recounting the heat was still available!

Gary
            I've got the past few months of messages (most of them) in the email notification format sent by the board, in my "hangartalk" mail box in Eudora.. Give me a bit of time to gather myself up and I'll try to dig out the best of them and get them up on the board again..

Wayne
            Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by Smee Again
              8) Most unlikely sight at Reno 2005: Dwight Thorn disciple and Merlin guru Mike Wilton wearing a "Round Engines Rule" T-shirt. Geez, what's next? President Bush announcing his support for Hilary Clinton in 2008?
              As long as Mikey doesn't take up Dwight's habit of walking around 'commando' in his black shorts and climbing up onto the engine stand, I can deal with just about anything.

Oh man, we really didn't need to see that.....MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!!!

Comment

Aw Geez----------

Did you have to bring THAT up? Thats a visual I (and quite a few others) didn't need to be reminded of...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparrow
                  Aw Geez----------

Did you have to bring THAT up? Thats a visual I (and quite a few others) didn't need to be reminded of...
                  Make sure we all tell Mikey that then, right? :-) I'm glad to see that you're one Student who didn't take EVERYTHING away from the Master.

Comment

This was the first time in 8 years I haven't made it to Reno. I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on what happened with Strega? I saw the notes saying they had radiator problems and then nothing after that. Thanks in advance.....

Comment

I spoke with Tiger & the crew each day. First, when they arrived they realized the problem withthe radiator. The thing split in two right down the middle. They thrashed & got it taken out, welded & back into the airframe. They ran the engine, checked the systems, then checked the oil screens---metal. They found that the culprit was the bearings. This presented a big dilemna. This was their #1 race engine. The #2 race engine carried bearings from the same batch. Hence if you change engines, there was the potential of having the same issues. Furthermore, at this point they still hadn't qualified. Well....they changed engines, thrashed all night to get it done & then ran the #2 engine
                      Wednesday eve after RARA told them they would not have to run a qualification lap to race, since they didn't have enough airplanes in the Unlimited category to fill the field. So, the team ran the engine with the hopes of starting out Thurday on the bottom of the Bronze bracket and moving their way up to Gold by Sunday. Unfortunately race engine#2 produced bearing metal in the screens during the run-up Wednesday eve. At this point Strega was out. They did lend their prop to Dan Martin & Ridge Runner. Dan Martin was running Mike "Sparrow" Barrow's personal race engine, which also had bearings from the same batch as Strega's #1 & #2 race engines. (Mike Barrow built both Dan & Tiger's mouse motors).
                      Lap 2 on Sunday Gold race, Ridge Runner's engine let go & Dan maydayed safely.

Comment

Actually, the metal didn't show up in Strega's screens with the second Roush motor until after the sunrise flight the next morning. I was out on the ramp shooting video during the evening runup and hung around until they checked the screens... no metal. It wasn't until they put some power to it on the morning flight that they started making metal. By then it was too late to swap for the "sport motor" as they call it before the medalian.

There was a lot of debate Tuesday about whether to try the second race motor or just go to the sport motor. The bearings for both race motors were from the same batch. Late in the evening they decided there was a problem with the oil journals on two rod bearings in the first motor rather than with the bearings themselves, so they went with the second race motor.

The sport motor isn't your average ferry motor. they thought they could beat anyone but Rare Bear with it. Guess we'll never know.

I sure hope they will be back next year. I'm sure they will work the bugs out by then. Jack Roush has a pretty good record on the NASCAR side of the fence and he owns two mustangs himself. I think he'll be a stong addition to the air racign community.
                        Bill Garnett
                        InterstellarDust
                        Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

First off and once again I want to clear up a repetative theme concerning Tiger's and Dan's engines. Roush Aviation DID NOT build any of these engines-- I did. Air Sparrow built and provided all these engines. Jack Roush and Co. provided machine shop services and modifications to crankcase's specified by myself. They were paid for their services and Jack acted in the capacity of providing his knowledge of engine's in general and provided technical support as required/requested by myself and Tiger. Secondly, Dan's engine had the old style of rod bearings in it and did not utilise the custom bearing set up that were in Tiger's engines. These bearings were custom built parts and have been built and put in service many times before. These particular parts were built specifically for this years engines. There was a problem that decided to rear it's ugly head at the most inopertune time. We do not at this time know exactly what caused the failure of these parts. I don't have the engine's in house yet to dis-assemble them for further investigation. The only thing we know for sure is that there was a problem. It will be resolved and we will go forward from here. Also, in regards to Dan's engine "letting go," although very disappointing to us, it blew a piston. I changed the effected cylinder bank and we flew the airplane home. Engine is not hurt.

Thank You, Sparrow

Comment

Thanks for setting the record straight. I jumperd to a poor conclusion about the level of Jack's invlovement based on looking at the merlin parts on his web site and watching him participating in discussions that evening. Curt Brown did tell me they didn't really know why the bearings failed yet.

Can you tell us, do those engines have the Roush roller rockers and pistons that he makes for himself and other merlin owners?

Sparrow, I really appreciate it when a person in the know like yourself gives us the straight poop. I deeply appologize if I caused any hard feelings by discussing what I heard on the ramp.
                            Bill Garnett
                            InterstellarDust
                            Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Can you tell us, do those engines have the Roush roller rockers and pistons that he makes for himself and other merlin owners?
                              While I'm not certain about the pistons used in the Sparrow race motors, I can tell you that this year, they were NOT using the Roush roller-rockers and cams.

SA

Comment

Working...
                              X