Skyraider @ Reno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyraider @ Reno

I didn't make it to Reno this year, but I'm told there was a Skyraider on static display. I'd appreciate seeing any pictures of it that someone might share. thanks, Stan

Re: Skyraider @ Reno

You ask, and you get......
    Attached Files

Comment

Ahhh, Thank you so much T.!
      I knew they were big. Man, oh, man...

BTW, in exchange for the pictures, here's some info from a friend that flew them.

The area behind the cockpit was called the "blue room". It was for electronic gear and such, but according to my friend, it would hold exactly 101 cases of beer.
      Just in case you're ever asked.
      Thanks again,
      Stan

Comment

Here's one more for ya.

Sky Critter

Comment

...here's the same one at the Wendover Airshow in Utah last month....
          Attached Files
          DB

Comment

I'm curious..why were some Skyraiders side by side seating, and others were tandem, (I think) and yet others were single seat?
            Brian

PS.....anybody ever race one at Reno yet?

Comment

Tom Martin (USMC/T-6 racer) flew them in "Nam". Lets get him to tell some stories. It was/is his favorite "Gun".
              Tom Campau T-6 race #21

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
                PS.....anybody ever race one at Reno yet?
                Jay Cullum is the World's Fastest Skyraider at Reno...or at least he said he was on Skyfire!

You missed a couple of racing Spads back in the late 80s...

Comment

I got there and took this on Friday, already behind the ropes.....
                  Attached Files
                  Randy Rheinschild
                  www.Unlimitedair.com

Comment

Originally posted by whoadude
                    Ahhh, Thank you so much T.!
                    I knew they were big. Man, oh, man...

I think a good testament to their size is that the cowling for the 3350 on the nose looks tiny. Like someone took a radial off a Stearman and grafted it on a Bearcat...

Comment

Originally posted by supercub
                      I'm curious..why were some Skyraiders side by side seating, and others were tandem, (I think) and yet others were single seat?
                      Brian

Ooh, going from deep memory here and since maybe some ex Skyradier pilots are board readers they can give better information- but IIRC there were many versions of the aircraft. Some 2-seat (also with lots of electronics- early warning systems, etc.) and some single-seat attack versions. I think some versions could even carry 4 or more people.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Haskin
                        Jay Cullum is the World's Fastest Skyraider at Reno...or at least he said he was on Skyfire!

You missed a couple of racing Spads back in the late 80s...

Ah yes....Jingo Charlie.

I think the conversation went something along the lines of this:

Jimmie McMillian: As the worlds FIRST Skyraider pilot to race at Reno...

Jay Cullum: Yeah, well as the worlds FASTEST Skyraider pilot at Reno...

Jimmie McMillian: Y'all better watch out next year because I'm gonna clip the wings on my Skyraider and come back to take the title away..

Jay Cullum: I'll put a -4360 in mine....

Jimmie McMillian: Hey Howard....how much this jacket cost????

Comment

Just talked to a old Spad mechanic. He said that there were variations on seating, as the Spad was the precursor to the EA-6B (A?).

thanks for all the pics and info. Would've loved to have seen one race.
                          Stan

Comment

Navy flew a single seater AD-4 with 2 electronics guys in the belly.
                            Word is that they would tie them on the deck of the carrier b/c the Spad had better radar than the boat. I recall that this version weighed 12,500 empty and 25,000 full gross.

Air Force in Vietnam flew the AD-5. 2 seat side by side with one electronic guy in the blue room. I'm told civilian versions can put 4 seats in the back.

Comment

Wow, no there is an aircraft that just bristles with weapons.
                              Bill Garnett
                              InterstellarDust
                              Air Race Fanatic since 1965

Comment

Working...
                              X