Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DAGO RED

Dago Dog: "So guys, do we switch allegiance to the other red plane"
    if you do, then you can change yer name to the "Strega Strays" (quickly ducks all the beer bottles flung at my head...)

Comment

I must say I never, ever thought the rumor was true. I really can't believe it. I just glad I got to see the Dago in its prime. The Friday heat race in 2003 was really something, out in the valley of speed.

Comment

It's really amazing...I've only been to Reno in 1988, 1991, 1999 and 2004, every year something very historic and significant has happened, and it's amazing what 2004 means now.

John

Comment

Awww Man.... There's ALWAYs been a Dago Red it seems. What a run tho. A salute to all the owners, pilots and crews of this amazing racer, and thank you for 23 years of racing!

Leo

At least Strega will be back to give Bear someone to push (ahem, or pull) around the course.
          Leo Smiley - Graphics and Fine Arts
          airplanenutleo@gmail.com
          thetreasuredpeacock.etsy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dago Dog
            So guys, do we switch allegiance to the other red plane :

Oh, SEPTEMBER FURY? :-)

Comment

Unbelieveable

Comment

I tryed to find something to say and the only thing that comes to this fans mind is, Damn.
                but all good things must come to an end and I thank Terry and his most supporting wife, I can't imagine getting away with asking for that hobby. The whole team are as good ambasadors as mechanics and never shuned anybody on that rope looking at her.

But like White Lighting, no color change or owner change will change the fact I know her as she was and Dago Red, Man what a time I had.

Thanks Team
                Until our paths cross again
                ECVSteve
                E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

What is Skip going to use to wake up the Air Race Addict Base Camp during the Dawn Patrol? That's one of the great parts of camping out in the Valley of Speed.
                  Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

Terry -

You are truly the class of the field. Thank you for letting me be a part of it all! My best to everyone on the team.

Dave de Vos

ps - Hey Margaret! You ever get those pics from Vegas developed?

ddevos@blueyonderpictures.com

Comment

Maybe Tiger will do the honors.
                      I'ts the best part of being anywhere around there early in the morning.
                      airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Leo
                        Maybe Tiger will do the honors.
                        I'ts the best part of being anywhere around there early in the morning.
                        True, true, Leo. We can only hope so.
                        I am truly sorry Dago will be missing. We can only hope she will go into hibernation and not "restoration" until such time it is profitable for Terry and Team to unleash her again, (or another owner). This won't be the first time that Dago has sat out the races. And, hopefully she will be kept in trim. As I recall, Dago sat for a while in a state of confusion and was not treated well. A real travesty. Until David Price got ahold of her and put her back on the course to returnning to the top. We can look to Jimmy Leeward as a source of comfort that a legendary aircraft can be stored indefinitely until fortunes change. Jeannie/LARS can still make a return as we knew her because of Mr. Leeward's willingness to keep her in that configuration.
                        Rest easy old girl. You're not being put out to pasture, YET!
                        Never mind. Maybe next year

Comment

I remember my first trip to Reno in 1982, it was Dago's first trip too. Dago took the gold and I was hooked.

I remember in 1984 seeing smoke and fire pour from its cowling as it streaked down the Valley of Speed during the Sunday Gold Race. I realized then how exciting and dangerous air racing can be.

I remember in 1998 the simultaneous gasp from the crowd as Bruce Lockwood flew Dago through Dreadnought's prop wash while rounding pylon 2. That was the first year I took my son to Reno and the first year of Dago's five year winning streak. (I'll gladly post the video of the race if anybody wants to do the conversion from VHS for me.)

I remember the look on my son's face right after Skip flew Dago along the Valley of Speed fenceline, right above our heads, at telephone pole height. The feel of a Merlin passing by at race speeds can bring a big smile to a young boy's face, and an old boy too! It was so close that my 70mm lens was completely filled with a red blur.

Thanks Terry, Bill, Skip, Bruce and anybody else associated with one of the finest operations in air racing. Truly a class act.

Rick

Comment

Were'nt skips passes in Dago in the VoS breathtaking. Just total power...low, fast.

Going home to watch the video now....sniff
                            airplanenutleo@gmail.com

Comment

Anyone know the reasons for Terry's decision? Cobra said he knew of the possibility for a while, so it must not have been an impulse decision. Is it a money issue, personal issue, or a competition issue. Just curious!

Tommy

Comment

Originally posted by marada mx3
                                or a competition issue.
                                Don't even go there. I hope.

I love mustangs, p-51's, Mach 1's and the horsie.
                                ECVSteve
                                E Clampus Vitus SST #1827, #1850
                                Reno Fan since around "82"

Comment

Working...
                                X