Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P-51 with a 350 chevy

Thank you Michele !

Is there a history of the Falconer for all of us to read ?

Ok, I found something ( in fact web if loaded with it ! )

rgds,

Juke
    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Juke
      Thank you Michele !

Is there a history of the Falconer for all of us to read ?

rgds,

Juke
      Juke, I'm sure a "google" search would yeild a large amount of information on Ryan Falconer and his engines... using the search feature we installed on the site (it's on most pages, I'm not referring to the one built into the message board) brought up several interesting links, including one story by Mark Kallio from WAY back when we first worked together here on this site.. http://aafo.com/racing/news/98/12-07-98.htm

Pretty interesting read.. Try http://falconerengines.com or something like that for Ryans site..

Wayne Sagar
      "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I did Wayne I did, just before you posted a reply. Buahahaha muaahahha. I knew you would find your own story ( eh Mark Kallios story in fact ). Thanks. I gotta sleep now..very tired I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
          Juke, stop. Your killin' me. I'm haven't laughed this hard in a long time. I'm gonna bust a rib.
          Sport class airplanes, how many car engines? One. Falconer V-12, derived from a car prodject, even the 45 degree configuration.
          You glossed a key point: the Falconer is DERIVED from a big-block Chevy. Its not actually a big-block Chevy (4 too many cylinders for one thing, completely different materials for another). So while some of the "boilerplate" (bore center spacing, etc.) is from the automotive world, its so heavily re-worked as to have very little in common with its automotive ancestor. (And BTW- its a 90-degree engine not 45)

They don't work in airplanes. Reason, they only turn 1000 revolutions on the track at the rated power you are reading in the magazine.
          Well, "that depends." NASCAR engines of similar size (5.9 Liters) put out 700 horsepower for order-of 4 hours straight. Still not enough for any reasonable life expectancy in an aircraft, and far too heavy for the power they do put out.

But basically I agree with you- car engines are made for cars. They don't translate well to aircraft in general- the design parameters are optimized for a completely different world. Production car engines are made to run order-of 200,000 miles (which translates to 4000 or more hours) between overhauls, and weight is a viable way to strengthen them for that kind of reliability. I wouldn't put a Lycoming in my '69 Dodge, nor would I suggest putting my Dodge's 440 in a sport plane. Apples, oranges.

Comment

Does anybody KNOW, what happened to George Morse's, (no relation to Dave Morss), "Prowler" (I believe it was called). A two place semi-eliptical wing, BEAUTIFUL, original design. (Warbird-esque, but not a copy of anything in perticular). Displayed at Reno, it came with a Olds (215) F-85 aluminum block V-8. It WAS to be sold as a kit, and he was fitting it for a 350 aluminum block "race engine". Rumor has it he sold a number of kits, just surprised not to have seen one in the Sport Class, yet....ANY PICTURES OUT THERE, no luck surfing, so far.

Paul

Comment

Juke-
              If your still living the fantasy, stumbled across a 900hp 3-rotor Wankle, some guy was building for a drag racer. Seems to have disapeared from the link it was on, but you got your power to weight ratio, a little better, dont think you'd have the endurance though.
              Haleys comet, comes to mind...
              Piston engines go bang-bang-bang, 900hp Wankles go BOOOOMM..

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Apteryx
                Does anybody KNOW, what happened to George Morse's, (no relation to Dave Morss), "Prowler" (I believe it was called). A two place semi-eliptical wing, BEAUTIFUL, original design. (Warbird-esque, but not a copy of anything in perticular). Displayed at Reno, it came with a Olds (215) F-85 aluminum block V-8. It WAS to be sold as a kit, and he was fitting it for a 350 aluminum block "race engine". Rumor has it he sold a number of kits, just surprised not to have seen one in the Sport Class, yet....ANY PICTURES OUT THERE, no luck surfing, so far.

Paul
                Here is a link to a story about the Prowler's engine being used in a Skybolt circa 1997:

Don

Comment

Don-
                  Thanks, I did stumble accross that one, funny article, talks about developing an engine for an aircraft, and they don't even show a picture, contact, web address, nada. I'm trying to remember the year(s) Prowler was on display, (down by the end of the pit stands). Can't be to much later then '98ish. Heard 'round about, of some trouble getting COMPLETE kits, guys scrambling for parts. Beautiful planform, it would be cool to see on the coarse. (Wish he hadn't named it Prowler, seen all the E6's I'll need to see for a while. Surfing on...
                  Don't know if George "entered" it, have to dig out the old programs, and check, Thanks, again.
                  Paul

Comment

If your still living the fantasy, stumbled across a 900hp 3-rotor Wankle, some guy was building for a drag racer.
                    It seems that Wankels are ideal for aircraft (lighter, smaller and less vibration than piston designs of equal HP). Too bad Reno air race rules don't allow for them...

They are actually supposed to be pretty reliable under constant power conditions (as it is with planes). It was the constant low-high RPM enviroment of automobiles that gave so many problems with rotor seals on the early Mazdas.

... Seems to have disapeared from the link it was on,
                    THIS SITE has a link to photos of a 900-hp 3-rotor wankel as used with a ducted-fan, plus many many more links of interest:

Comment

I know Wankels are used in tanks ! Wonder why...possibly they can be layed flat to keep CG low ?

Comment

Hmmmm...Maybe due to their small size?

I would think a torquey diesel would be better in a heavy tank, but then again, M-1's have a turbine, so maybe size versus output has something to do with it (just speculating).

Comment

Whoaa Airdogge !

Did you see this there:

A wankel Reno-racer in progress ! Blueprints of that 500 mph banger somewhere ? I like that rudder a lot.

Maybe a pusher is the way to go ?

rgds,

Juke

Comment

Thanks AD-
                            I Get lost sometimes following links around, that looks like the engine. Can't imagine sustaining 900hp for a race plus join-up, if unlimited. Be interesting if they ever change the rules, or maybe a Rotary class?

Juke-
                            Good find, I've heard about a push-me, pull-you for a few years now, never saw the project. Interesting, but alas....

Paul

Comment

No, I didn't see that push/pull airframe before. Looks awesome (I wonder how old the photo is?....Maybe it's another "Mach-buster" )

Here's a 3-view drawing of the same, dated 1976, so it was probably stillborn:

I take it back. A Google search under "DAVE GARBER" ROTARY came up with this page that says it is (or was) flying.
                              Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Well, wha-do-ya-know? I found some mention of it here at AAFO back in 2002 (scroll down to Lowell's post):
                              All Air Racing All the time! Unregistered visitors: this forum is open for your reading enjoyment. We invite you to join so you can enjoy the full features of this system. Including file uploads, event calender, private messages and more. Due to an unmanageable amount of SPAM membership applications, the join process is a few step process. It all makes it secure!

The only other mention I found of it is a page copyrighted 1988-2004 that states that Dave had taken it out of mothballs in the 80's or 90's. It also incorrectly states that he made it in the 80's:

Excerpt from the letter:
                              Dave Garber built such an airplane in the 1980's and it is now being taken
                              out of mothballs and refurbished. Dave had some cooling problems and fuel injection computer problems. He has recently made contact with members of the Aircraft Rotary Engine Newsletter with experience in solving these kinds of problems.

Maybe another member here knows more about it? I'd love to hear of it's current status...

-----------------------------

Maybe a pusher is the way to go ?
                              I don''t know about that. Pushers are great for smooth airflow over the wing, but they all seem to suffer from propeller inefficency from the turbulence of the airflow coming off the wings and fuselage. If someone can find a solution to the turbulence problem, then perhaps so.
                              Last edited by AirDOGGe; 03-09-2005, 10:48 PM.

Comment

AirDOGGE-
                                Good surfing, d*mn Lowell is amazing, love to see his library. (I had to thin mine out a bit, move some to storage, or start sleeping on magazines). If it's all in his head, I'll be even more in awe.

From a crew standpoint, pushers are GREAT, (leaves most of the ecky stuff, at the back of the airplane, sooo much easier to clean)..

So many projects, so few flying...

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X