Live racing video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live racing video

This is from another thread that was too important to get hijacked.

Wayne Sagar said:

"I had about 1/3 of the equation setup there for 3 or 4 years running... broadband in a hangar near the ramp.... unfortunately, that *is* only about half of it...

The closest to being able to do it IMHO would be Bill Pearce and John Parker with Blue Thunder.. HE's got real time telemetry being sent, John's on the field with a bb connection.. they'd be almost 2/3 of the way there.. software and hardware to make the wireless connect between the pits and hangar would be the next.. ok.. maybe that's more like 1/2 the needs...

You're right though, it'd dooable but dot org would have to be either behind it or approve it because, technically, it would be a live broadcast of the event.. verboten by da rules I think...

Dunno how many would watch it anyway, web traffic always tails off quite a bit *during* the races... most fans are there, not looking at their puters...

Might be a way to get a few nerds who would not otherwise watch tho.."

The real-time telemetry is new and I'm not sure how many data points will be sent. Other race teams have this too. If we send the feed to the pits, there should be no reason why we can't send it to the hangar too. The signal just need to go another 1000 feet or so. I just don't know if we can "add" video feed to the set up.

Parker and I have talked about cockpit video and it is something that he wants to do. We will be giving it a shot at the record runs in Marysville, CA. It won't be real-time but it will be up on the Blue Thunder site once I figure out how to do it, and once I get the free time.

Who you calling a nerd? I'm there and I still watch video after the fact. I think we all would love to have this.

Anyway, I'm sure it will happen soon.... somewhere.
    Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press
    Blue Thunder Air Racing (in memoriam)

Re: Live racing video

Bill... you can mount the camera on a padded mount but I saw a REALLY neat helmet cam thing... The guy's company is based out of Carson I think.. Mary Dilda used one in '03 I think and back when I was doing her site, I was planning on putting some of the video up. It's geat angle becaue you see what the pilot sees and it's pretty darn cheap if I remember correctly... like sub $300. I think.. (you provide the video recorder, can be regular video cam)

I'll see if I can find the company name....

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Personally I'm not crazy about mounting stuff on the helmet. John's head is heavy enough. Besides, he would look silly with his Beta video recorder stuck on his head.

But seriously, if we got a light little camera that would not be a bad idea. My plan is to use my video camera which is about 1 lb (I think). Probably in an over the shoulder fashion so you can see Parker, the panel, and out the front of the plane.
      Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

LOL.. John's a strong guy....

Here's the link... http://xtremerecall.com/ it's $269. less camcorder...

I've seen the vids made with it and can state, it's the BEST angle I've ever seen in an in-cockpit video... Watching Mary when someone was moving up on her to try to pass her was amazing... She'd be looking forward.. then a very quick flick of the head to the side, then forward........... then the flick........

I never figured out how to edit the video down small enough for the web as it was pretty high quality and pretty long... **added by edit**http://xtremerecall.com/Vid_Pop_Ups/...eme_Recall.wmv

Since they are in Carson... (I think) maybe they'd be interested in workign with you... ie LOAN a unit out. Since they would get a lot of exposure by it, it'd be a good deal for them I'd think...

Wayne Sagar
        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

HOLY SH**!!!!!

I think I will get one and make Parker use it!

Bill
          Bill Pearce

Old Machine Press

Comment

Originally posted by W J Pearce
            HOLY SH**!!!!!

I think I will get one and make Parker use it!

Bill
            Hee Hee... well, just remember when you talk with them, the word S-P-O-N-S-O-R is a dirty word... talk to them about how you can help them promote them... talk about how many people are not only going to see their product on John, how it's already "the buzz" just talking about it... maybe give them a banner or "line card" in your pit... get them "on board" and you might wind up with a really cool package and a.... ahem.... sponsor... out of the deal...

Wayne Sagar
            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Personally, I own the one at helmetcamera.com. I plug it into my Mini DV camera and it takes great in-cockpit video. A little piece of Velcro on the camera means I can stick it many different places in the cockpit and, even while dogfighting, it doesn't go anywhere.

Comment

Randy, any chance of you posting some of that video?

Like some already metioned, I wis ALL the teams had these cameras mounted in the cockpits. Heck, with their small size you could have two or three of them in there ala NASCAR. Does anybody here know how the NASCAR guys do their telemetry thing?
                Stevo

Blue Thunder Air Racing
                My Photos
                My Ride

Comment

As Carvey would say....

Yeah, well....(cinching my pants halfway up to my armpits.....) back in MY day, we didn't HAVE these "Mini Cams". We couldn't put them on our nice custom-fit gel-filled helmets and go cavorting off to war.

We had to fly with one hand, and hold the video camera in the other hand. Our helmets were big and heavy, and so were the cameras.....AND WE LIKED IT!

Comment

Shoot !

That was one exiting videoclip. When the black T-6 passed that was almost dangerous feeling...even here. Was he unaware of the passing or will he get informed of the passing plane behind him ?

rgds,

Juke
                    http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

That was the viewpoint Iv'e been waiting for many months, that sure was some sweet footage. Got any more of that stuff?

Comment

They also got some really good stuff from inside Warlock a couple years back. RG
                        Warlock #75, Steve Ballard, Al "Papa" Goss
                        RIP 03/17/10

Comment

Working...
                        X