Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Flyer is on the way

He's ahead of schedule so far.

Good Luck Steve Fossett and Burt Rutan (again!!)

Don

Re: Global Flyer is on the way

Originally posted by hattend
    Holy Cow Don, I hardly ever watch the news... didn't even know they were close to starting this!

Good find. I really like the "real time" feel of this mission coverage on their site. I clicked in and then the scrolling message changed to "cleared to 47,000 feet"... nice!

Now for the day we can get real time telemetry feeds out of Reno on the net like Kerch dreams of...

Again, good find and thanks for giving me something to do other than doing what I'm supposed to be doing..

Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Again, good find and thanks for giving me something to do other than doing what I'm supposed to be doing..
      Heheheh. Same here. He was near the Madiera Islands when I got to work this morning and I've been watching it since then. He's almost to Libya. LOL!! Good thing I have no co-workers in the building and the boss hardly visits.

I was looking for some footage of the takeoff on the news last night but didn't see a thing. I guess it's more important to the alphabet news shows to give us the lowdown on Michael Jackson or Kobe Bryant.

The US doesn't need any heroes anymore. (wow, how cynical!)

Go Steve Go! I'd be nervous flying the route he is on. Hope those idiots in the hot spots of the world don't mistake him for a U2

Don

Comment

Passing out of Libya into Egypt. Still maintaining about 20 knots more than planned.

Don

Comment

I wish the Global Flyer team success. Certainly is a major undertaking.

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
          Now for the day we can get real time telemetry feeds out of Reno on the net like Kerch dreams of...
          Actually, that's not very unreasonable and very much doable. Just not sure if it's cost effective for the racer - would have to be something the race org would foot the bill for. Skip thought it would be neat to have it where the race could be broadcast on the internet...

Michael

Comment

ANOTHER LINK:

He's a little south of the planned route do to geopolitical concerns and winds aloft.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Mluvara
              Actually, that's not very unreasonable and very much doable. Just not sure if it's cost effective for the racer - would have to be something the race org would foot the bill for. Skip thought it would be neat to have it where the race could be broadcast on the internet...
              I had about 1/3 of the equation setup there for 3 or 4 years running... broadband in a hangar near the ramp.... unfortunately, that *is* only about half of it...

The closest to being able to do it IMHO would be Bill Pearce and John Parker with Blue Thunder.. HE's got real time telemetry being sent, John's on the field with a bb connection.. they'd be almost 2/3 of the way there.. software and hardware to make the wireless connect between the pits and hangar would be the next.. ok.. maybe that's more like 1/2 the needs...

You're right though, it'd dooable but dot org would have to be either behind it or approve it because, technically, it would be a live broadcast of the event.. verboten by da rules I think...

Dunno how many would watch it anyway, web traffic always tails off quite a bit *during* the races... most fans are there, not looking at their puters...

Might be a way to get a few nerds who would not otherwise watch tho..

Wayne Sagar
              "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I heard yesterday that he had launched, but a web search late last night came up empty-handed for current up-to-the-minute news. Glad to hear he got up in the air and is doing fine so far.

80+ hours of flying non-stop, with only quick cat-naps for rest.....I think this is a case where the phrase "God is my co-pilot" really applies.

Wish you the best of luck Steve.....Come home safe.

Comment

Originally posted by AirDOGGe
                  IWish you the best of luck Steve.....Come home safe.
                  Amen to that!

Wayne Sagar
                  "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

The following info is from the official Global Flyer site as of 3:00 am PST

Mission Status: HALFWAY. 07:01:33 UTC at Mission Control. Elapsed Journey time: 30 hours 15 minutes 06 seconds. Distance covered approximately 9,841 nautical miles.

Steve has made it halfway, and is pleased with the progress he has made. He is 275 miles west of Kolkatta (Culcutta) and currently traveling at 300 knots/ 345 mph (ground speed).

All was well on board the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer this morning, despite problems in the first hours of the flight with the Global Positioning System. Steve is happy and alert, and Mission Control have estimated that he could possibly land at midday on Thursday.
                    current news can be found at:

------------------------------------------------

Most up-to-date report

Last time I looked at the live tracking page at 3:00 am PST, he was over China, just north of Thailand.

Heading 93.4 degrees
                    Speed 300 knots
                    Altitude 46,801ft

The live tracking page can be seen at:

Comment

Now there are serious concerns on whether or not he has enough fuel to complete the trip and land back in Salina. Seems it used over a ton of fuel in the first 3.5 hours of flight. They say if the good tail winds keep up he might make it.

Comment

Quite a ship. Lucky I saw this positioning window here before his trip is over.
                        Haeding and speed seem to vary constantly 332 mph heading 86.2 last time I watched.

Well beyond Japan already. Text Hong Kong has now only ong visible : )

Go Steve Go !
                        http://max3fan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re: Global Flyer over the Pacific

Well, he's well out into the Pacific now. They'll determine if he should head on to California when they join up with him at Hawaii and check for leaks.

It really torques me that I can't find any real updates on the crisis they are having. Even the Mission Control website is pretty crummy as far as up-to-date decision making. Or maybe they are just waiting until he gets around Hawaii and can check him out.

This flight is suffering from Apollo 13 syndrome. It's like a news blackout until they announced he might abort at hawaii.

Grrrr!!!

Don

Comment

A mysterious fuel leak somehow caused the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer to lose 2600 lbs of fuel within the first three and a half hours of the flight.

If Steve decides to continue flying after he reaches Hawaii, he would have to travel 2,610 miles before he reaches any landing space
                            -----------------------------------

LATEST NEWS:

Mission Status: Steve says "Go for it!"

Steve told Mission Control earlier, that he was set on making for Salina, and would not be attempting a landing at Hawaii.

At 18:01 UTC when he reached Ferar, Steve broke the world record for "distance without landing" which was last set in 1962 by a B-52.

Comment

Mission Status: Steve says "Let's go for it!"

At 21:30CST (03:30UCT) Steve Fossett relayed by satellite phone to Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer Mission Control Director Kevin Stass "let's go for it". Strong tailwinds across the Pacific from the coast of Japan carried Steve between 100knots -130knots from the coast of Japan to Hawaii, bringing the round-the-world non-stop circumnavigation world record back within his grasp.

Steve Fossett, commented: "I hit the jetstream very well which has put us in a better fuel position. I have every hope of making it to Salina tomorrow."

Comment

Working...
                              X