Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly a TF-51

Fly a TF-51.

If one of your goals, or dreams, in life is to Fly a TF-51 (P-51), Stallion 51 outside of Orlando, Florida (Kissimmee) makes it happen, and I highly recommend them.
    The people I met there, Angela in the office, Crew Chief Chuck & Instructor Elliot Cross, were professional & the nicest people, and made my time on the ground, & in the Air, a first class experience.
    It is not cheap, but the experience, video, and memories, were well worth it to me, and might be for you too.

Re: Fly a TF-51

Jay,

I went to Stallion 51 last year on my last day at Sun n Fun, actually my first time as an actually, for real, only reason for being there, HIRED photographer! The "client" was paying for two of their best customers to go through the program and wanted some photos for a momento to present to them... I got to go and sit in on the brief and debrief sessions..

WoW is all I can say about the level of professionalism at that place!

Lee made it look like ANYONE could fly that Mustang, even a non-pilot and I truly believe after a session with him, you would be able to!

If you got to go through it.. I'm sure everyone here will be in as much envy as I am!

It has to be one of the most unique places in all of aviation!

photo: Joe Leonard and Lee Lauderback at Stallion 51, April, 2004
    Attached Files
    Wayne Sagar
    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

I had my hour in Crazy Horse a couple of years ago, also with Elliott Cross, and it was worth every penny. I got to fly the whole flight, except for the takeoff; against all my expectations, Elliott even gave me the landing.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat, if I could swing it. Even if you can't pony up the bucks, just the sight of all those immaculate '51s in the hangar is enough to make a visit worthwhile.

Pictures here.
      SteveZ

Comment

Stallion 51 is truely a first class operation. Along with 3 current Mustang pilots, I visited Stallion 51 for a 2 day recurrency session. It was worth every penny. We reviewed Mustang performance, operations, flight envelope and emergency procedures. I would highly recommend a visit for anyone's warbird proficency enhancement.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

I just had the board software send you a password reset notice so you can log in as you and your messages will show up right away again..

Good to see you here!

Wayne
          PS... are you planning on going to Tunica?? I'd really appreciate your input on this upcoming event!
          Wayne Sagar
          "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

aafo: I just ran across this thread. How do you know lee lauderback? this was an interesting find because I am friends with lee and his 3 brothers. I am also local to stallion 51 hanger.
            Andy

Ifxbonz@adelphia.net

Comment

Originally posted by Jay
              Fly a TF-51.

If one of your goals, or dreams, in life is to Fly a TF-51 (P-51), Stallion 51 outside of Orlando, Florida (Kissimmee) makes it happen, and I highly recommend them.
              The people I met there, Angela in the office, Crew Chief Chuck & Instructor Elliot Cross, were professional & the nicest people, and made my time on the ground, & in the Air, a first class experience.
              It is not cheap, but the experience, video, and memories, were well worth it to me, and might be for you too.
              New here , Just found your forum, and I was pleased to here you all speaking highly of stallion 51 and lee lauderback, I am a firend of lee and his 3 brothers working at the hanger. How and when did you meet lee.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                aafo: I just ran across this thread. How do you know lee lauderback? this was an interesting find because I am friends with lee and his 3 brothers. I am also local to stallion 51 hanger.
                Andy

Ifxbonz@adelphia.net
                Hi Andy, not sure if you were asking me but, I don't know Lee personally. I was only there at the request of one of Lee's clients, so I could record the brief/debreif and such for them for the later creation of a momento CD to be presented to them.

I WAS extremely impressed with the operation, met the crewchief and since I have a lot of "wrenching" in my background, I enjoyed my conversation with him immensely!

Plus we both smoked and it was good to be able to "puff" with his approval and instruction as to where was OK and not OK and such...

Can't remember his name but if you see him... tell him smoking can kill ya!

A couple months affter meeting him, I was diagnosed with throat cancer!

It ain't worth the fleeting pleasure!

Wayne

PS... sign up for a membership, it's free and easy and your messages will show up instantly....
                Wayne Sagar
                "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,

It sounds as if you visit was enjoyable! I can't describe my excitement when I found you all talking of stallion 51 and Lee. I t is a first rate operation Lee is known widely for his expertise in a mustang cockpit. As expert as they come. Hope you were able to make a nice presentation video. I am currently making plans to be in Reno at the 06 mustang round up, shooting images for Stallion 51. It sounds like most of the forum subscribers are war bird lovers and enthusiasts.

Andy

Sorry to here about your recent diagnosis.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                    Wayne,

It sounds as if you visit was enjoyable! I can't describe my excitement when I found you all talking of stallion 51 and Lee. I t is a first rate operation Lee is known widely for his expertise in a mustang cockpit. As expert as they come. Hope you were able to make a nice presentation video. I am currently making plans to be in Reno at the 06 mustang round up, shooting images for Stallion 51. It sounds like most of the forum subscribers are war bird lovers and enthusiasts.

Andy

Sorry to here about your recent diagnosis.
                    Andy, I was not only impressed with the professional way the place is run, I was probably more impressed with the welcome that I received there. In a lot of places, a guy with a camera or two around his neck does not get the best of welcomes. At Lee's, it was almost like they had known me for a long time, I was made to feel totally welcome while we both waited for the first client to show up... They told me to go ahead and poke around, look anywhere I wanted to... just a nice bunch of folks...

On the diagnosis.. it's been a while now, I've been done with the treatment for almost six months. Hair is back, I'm even starting to eat a bit.. The only reason I mention it is it's my way to try to help others who might smoke. I loved it while I did it, it gave me great pleasure, and it was a way I met a lot of folks.. going "out back" for a smoke and such...

But, it's not worth what it *can* do to your body... it's a hell of a price to pay, I'll tell you that!!

Anyway, welcome to the board, you are correct, we're all a bunch of plane nuts here!

Wayne
                    Wayne Sagar
                    "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayne,

Thank you for the warm welcome here.

I'm all singed in and playing with my profile.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by ifxbonz
                        Wayne,

Thank you for the warm welcom here.

I'm all singed in and playing with my profile.

Andy
                        Cool Andy, glad to have you!! Nice shot... yours???

You know, you can upload here also if you like.. images will show up as a thumbnail, then click to view..

Feels almost like Florida up here (Pacific Northwest..) sunny and warm, bit humid today.. amazing for February!

Cracking the whip onmyself today... gotta get back to work!!

Wayne Sagar
                        "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Originally posted by AAFO_WSagar
                          On the diagnosis.. it's been a while now, I've been done with the treatment for almost six months. Hair is back, I'm even starting to eat a bit.. The only reason I mention it is it's my way to try to help others who might smoke. I loved it while I did it, it gave me great pleasure, and it was a way I met a lot of folks.. going "out back" for a smoke and such...

But, it's not worth what it *can* do to your body... it's a hell of a price to pay, I'll tell you that!!
                          Wayne
                          Wanye: OT from Stephen's great thread, but the other life-shortening effect of smoking is emphysema. I've lost an aunt and uncle to it. They lost 5-10 years of life to smoking. As you say, think twice about starting or continuing to smoke. Peas

Rutan Long EZ, N-LONG
                          World Speed Record Holder

Comment

Originally posted by Peashooter
                            Wanye: OT from Stephen's great thread, but the other life-shortening effect of smoking is emphysema. I've lost an aunt and uncle to it. They lost 5-10 years of life to smoking. As you say, think twice about starting or continuing to smoke. Peas

http://www.lung.ca/diseases/emphysema.html
                            Peas, there is a whole host of reasons to not smoke!

The unfortunate thing about it for many of us is that at one time, it was not really thought to be that harmful. IMHO, this fosters the denial that many of us who did start live with.

I can not understand how it can be legal to smoke when so many other things that are not particularly more or less harmful are illegal. I can also not understand why the US Government subsidises the tobbacco industry?

Anyway... not to drag it on further OT... I do feel it important to "preach the sermon"... during a particularly low point in the middle of the treatment, when I wound up in the hospital quite ill, I sort of promised myself and ... err... whomever or "whatever" else might have been listening that if I were to be able to get out of that hospital and be normal again, I'd do whatever I could to keep the ills of smoking in front of people's eyes..

I have some very very dear friends who smoke or use tobacco products.. one has quit because of my problem! No, I take that back.... Two have quit, one a chewer who quit right then and there while we were on the phone the day I told him about it, another who smoked, had a tough time, had to take some drug thing but managed to quit..

It nearly brings tears to my eyes when I think about it.. I influenced TWO people to quit!

Neeeeexxxxxttt....

PS.. and for those of you whom I do bug about smoking.. PLEASE know that I do it because I care about you and not because I want to control your life! I know well how the thought process goes when you smoke, and I also know that you might well smoke forever and not suffer too badly from it. I pretty well suspected for a couple years that I *might* have throat cancer. I had symptoms but I was SO in denial, I would not go get checked out. My sore throat had once been missdiagnosed as Strep, I'd been given antibiotics, which did nothing, yet I still did not go further with the checks... I really did *know* deep down inside that I had it... I remember looking myself in the eye more than once in the mirror and just thinking... whooooooooBOY... this is NOT good.. yet, I STILL did nothing about it! When diagnosed finally, I made the doctor test me three times before I'd go forward with the treatment...

This is how deep the denial goes when you're a smoker.. "it can't happen to me" ...... God, what a trap! I wish so deeply that I could turn back the clock, I'll never be the same again. If I can save someone else my fate, I guess I'll take the risk to offend, even though I do not want to offend anyone..

So, If I bug ya about smokin... those of you whom know of whom I speak.. just remember I love ya!
                            Wayne Sagar
                            "Pusher of Electrons"

Comment

Wayners,
                              I don't think you really bug anyone all that much. If I were falling off a cliff, and you were pulling me up by one hand, I don't think I'd yell "STOP BUGGING ME"! I've accually cut WAY BACK on my chewing habit because of you. (Now would be a good time to invest in Trident chewing gum though, I'm buying it by the truck loads)! Thanks to you, I now at least have the belief that I can quit. Now I just have to do it, should be soon. Have I told you lately that your my Hero? You are the wind benieth my wings!

P.S.
                              Is the Stallion 51 Elliott Cross the same pilot who used to fly with Jimmy Franklin? Great stick if it is!

Race 29
                              Full throttle till you see God, then turn left!

Comment

Working...
                              X